operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Intel i7
ram: 24GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB

Glitches when editing/outputting AVCHD

Post by pvreditor »

I have a Canon HF11 AVCHD camcorder and recently got VideoStudio Pro X2 for editing. I have a couple problems with it but the biggest is that I get a small glitch just before and after every edit point... but only if I output as a 1920 x 1080 AVCHD or Blu-ray file. If I output as a 720 or 1080 WMV file, there are no glitches. The glitches are small but usually quite obvious. For example, if someone is running across the screen, it looks like the person takes a step forward, then a step back, then forward again... then the edit and there is a similar glitch after the edit. It repeats before the next edit.

The video I'm editing is all 1080i HD in AVCHD format (1920 x 1080). I have the HF11 set to record at 17 Mbps. All the video comes from the same camera and I get the glitches when I cut from shot to shot. The glitching isn't visible in preview while editing, only after the video has been rendered to an AVCHD file. The computer is a decently powerful Gateway with 3 GB of RAM and an AMD Phenom 9500 processor. It's running Vista Home Premium.

Help! Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions anyone may have!

--Bob
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 11
motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32 GB DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6600 XT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2021; PSP 2022; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW2021

Post by Ken Berry »

Not good news, I am afraid. See this very long thread on the same subject: http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... 236#167014

I am afraid it is now a very well known bug. But we are hoping that Corel is working on a patch... :roll:
Ken Berry
2Dogs
Advisor

Re: Glitches when editing/outputting AVCHD

Post by 2Dogs »

pvreditor wrote:If I output as a 720 or 1080 WMV file, there are no glitches.
That's an interesting observation, Bob!

I've been following the ongoing AVCHD saga with interest, and I can't recall this being mentioned in previous posts. It may be a sign that a fix is at least possible!

How would you compare the 1080 wmv output to the AVCHD output quality, apart from the lack of glitches?

If it's good, using 1080 wmv might be a work around for the glitch for projects to be played back on the pc or thru a PS3.
JVC GR-DV3000u Panasonic FZ8 VS 7SE Basic - X2
pvreditor
operating_system: Windows 10
processor: Intel i7
ram: 24GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB

Re: Glitches when editing/outputting AVCHD

Post by pvreditor »

2Dogs wrote:
pvreditor wrote:If I output as a 720 or 1080 WMV file, there are no glitches.
That's an interesting observation, Bob!

I've been following the ongoing AVCHD saga with interest, and I can't recall this being mentioned in previous posts. It may be a sign that a fix is at least possible!

How would you compare the 1080 wmv output to the AVCHD output quality, apart from the lack of glitches?

If it's good, using 1080 wmv might be a work around for the glitch for projects to be played back on the pc or thru a PS3.
I think that the 1080 WMV file is 30 frames, progressive and non-interlaced. Although the resolution is good, motion is not as smooth as it is with a 1080i AVCHD file. It's good enough for casual use or distribution to friends, but I wouldn't want to use it for professional projects (a wedding video, for instance).

Now that I know the glitch is caused by the software and not by something I'm doing, I can work around it. I'll use the simple software that comes with my Canon HF11 camcorder (ImageMixer 3) for cuts and dissolves, then use VS Pro X2 for titles and more elaborate effects. I can also use VS Pro X2 to transpose to other formats, such as WMV and MPEG. Pain in the ***, though...

Thanks everyone for answering this so quickly!

--Bob
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 11
motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32 GB DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6600 XT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2021; PSP 2022; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW2021

Post by Ken Berry »

HD WMV with the highest quality Neptune settings (from Windows Media Encoder 9) is pretty good. As Pvreditor suggests, however, you have to be careful with fast motion or panning -- though in this regard, I don't find any significant difference with either HDV or AVCHD...

But as 2Dogs also suggests, you are more or less limited to either playing it via computer or on a player which will recognise WMV HD such as the PS3...

Mind you, I have never tried converting a completed WMV HD project to AVCHD using the same high quality settings. I imagine that would also get around the blip problem and allow burning the project to a Blu-Ray disc or hybrid SD DVD. But I don't know whether there would be any visible loss of quality. It would probably also take ages to render as with most conversions of WMV of any kind to another format... :cry:
Ken Berry