Hidden Menu

mxpxpxpx

Hidden Menu

Post by mxpxpxpx »

Hello, I was recently watching the Yellowcard DVD Beyond Ocean Avenue, and I went online to find easter eggs. I foud that if you press up a certin number of times on the main menu you get a secret button to appear. I was wondering how you achive this same task in DVD Workshop? I can hide a menu, but I want to make it really hard to find, I just don't want you to be able push one of the directional buttons and find the menu.

Thanks for your help, Matt
GeorgeW

Re: Hidden Menu

Post by GeorgeW »

mxpxpxpx wrote:Hello, I was recently watching the Yellowcard DVD Beyond Ocean Avenue, and I went online to find easter eggs. I foud that if you press up a certin number of times on the main menu you get a secret button to appear. I was wondering how you achive this same task in DVD Workshop? I can hide a menu, but I want to make it really hard to find, I just don't want you to be able push one of the directional buttons and find the menu.

Thanks for your help, Matt
Hi Matt,

I am assuming the DVD you are talking about is storing the number of button presses in a GPRM variable, then linking to the hidden menu after "x" amount of times.

DVD WS 2.x does not offer direct access to GPRM variables, so you have to use a different approach. This might work as long as your project isn't too big, and depending on whether your menus are motion or still menus (motion menus taking up more space than still menus).

The idea is to add an invisible button that has auto-activate turned on. Let's say you want to show the hidden menu after 3 "up" presses. After all your regular links are setup, clone your menu 3 times (the regular buttons should be in a row, so that the up button will go to your invisible button).

Then the auto-activate should take you to clone-1. pressing "up" on clone-1 should auto-activate to "clone-2", and so on...

Then on the final cloned-menu, pressing "up" should auto-activate to the "hidden" menu.

NOTES:

Clone a menu = rt-click/copy then rt-click/paste

Make sure you set the color properties of the hidden button so that when it is activated, it doesn't show anything (transparency for Selection and Action set to 100%)

As you press the "UP" on each of the clones, the new menu will highlight the "default highlight" button (so do not make the auto-activate button be the default highlight button)

If your menu has background audio, the audio will start from the beginning each time you move to a cloned menu

Regards,
George
mxpxpxpx

Post by mxpxpxpx »

Thank you very much for your help, it worked like a charm.
sasha_moe

Post by sasha_moe »

HI i am watching a movie and every so often a red little icon pops up and i can hit enter on my remote, and that brings me to a bonus scene. I read the post above but couldnt make a whole lot of sense out of it. If i could get some help thatd be great. Heres what i want, I want my movie to pop up with these icons in places i have set them to pop up, Then by hitting enter on the persons remote itll bring them to a bonus scene, Then after that i want the movie to resume were it left off when the easter egg was pressed. Thank you for any help that i can get. O and also i need this put in the easiest terms i am not that smart i am still a noob when it comes to these things. Thank you again
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

sasha_moe wrote:HI i am watching a movie and every so often a red little icon pops up and i can hit enter on my remote, and that brings me to a bonus scene. I read the post above but couldnt make a whole lot of sense out of it. If i could get some help thatd be great. Heres what i want, I want my movie to pop up with these icons in places i have set them to pop up, Then by hitting enter on the persons remote itll bring them to a bonus scene, Then after that i want the movie to resume were it left off when the easter egg was pressed. Thank you for any help that i can get. O and also i need this put in the easiest terms i am not that smart i am still a noob when it comes to these things. Thank you again
What you are describing is usually done with an "Advanced Authoring" feature known as BOV (Buttons Over Video). Unfortunately, DVD WS 2.x does not have a BOV feature :(

How long are your videos? If you have "video segments" that are less that ~4 minutes each, you might be able to fake it by stringing together a series of Motion Menus, but that's just an extreme workaround (not the best way to implement what you want).

Regards,
George
sasha_moe

Post by sasha_moe »

OK acually the clips im stringing together are all less than 4 min!!! Lol i would be very interested in learning how to fake it as you were saying. ULead VideoStudio 10 is what im using incase not everyone here is its not the plus version. So yeah id love to know how to fake it or w/e also what kinda program would i need to do it the right way? Also how spendy are these prgrams usally? Thank you. I am happy with fakeing it untill i can afford a new program. Thank you again. :P
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Well, the basic idea (I haven't done it) would be to use Motion Menus as your "video"

You setup each Motion Menu to Auto-Activate (at the end of playback) a "Hidden" menu button that jumps to the next Motion Menu.

On each Motion Menu, you also have your "easter egg" button that immediately jumps to a regular movie clip, and at the end of that movie clip, you transfer back to a similar Motion Menu that was playing. It's important to note that the branch back to the original spot won't be exact. Best you could do is go to where you started to show the "easter egg"

For instance, you have a 4-minute Motion Menu, and you set the button "loop-point" to be at the 1-minute mark (that's when the easter egg appears). If the person waits until the 1:20 mark, you could only jump back to the 1:00 mark (setup a separate clip that starts at the 1:00 mark, and that becomes the return-to item).

How familiar with DVD Workshop 2.x are you?

Regards,
George
sasha_moe

Post by sasha_moe »

How familiar with DVD Workshop 2.x are you?

Im not familiar with it at all i use the program mentioned above. Also how to blur out faces is another question i have. I dont know how well that method will work out since i dont understand it very well. I think i got it kinda but not sure that thats what i am looking to do. If i did that would i still be able to use a regular menu to have like play movie bonus features thiungs like that on?
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

sasha_moe wrote:Also how to blur out faces is another question i have.
A search on BLUR in the Video Product Tutorials gave me this link:
Blur a section of video
sasha_moe wrote: I dont know how well that method will work out since i dont understand it very well. I think i got it kinda but not sure that thats what i am looking to do. If i did that would i still be able to use a regular menu to have like play movie bonus features thiungs like that on?
Yes, you can also have regular menus in your project.

Ulead does offer a TRIAL you can download to see if it can do what you want...

Regards,
George
sasha_moe

Post by sasha_moe »

ok well i got it i was wondering if you know how to blur peoples faces out as well?
Devil

Post by Devil »

Blurring faces is easy in an editing proggy like MSP or VS, but it's not a job for an authoring app like DVD WS2
[b][i][color=red]Devil[/color][/i][/b]

[size=84]P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.[/size]