Bugs & Suggestions
DaveK
operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

Crashing on Linux - a suggestion

Post by DaveK »

When I was trying out AfterShot Pro 2 (64-bit), I couldn't even launch the program without a crash. I'm running Kubuntu, which isn't officially supported, but I'm hoping this might help someone else.

This change is at your own risk. The fix was to remove the line "XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" from the script that launches AfterShot Pro 2. The script is /usr/bin/AfterShot2X64, the offending line is line 24. You can either remove the line or comment it out by putting a # in front of it. You'll have to edit it as root since it's a system file.

I'm not exactly sure what this environment variable does, why it's being set, or why it causes crashes on my system. My googling has only told me that it's something low-level with X11 programming, which isn't helpful. Honestly, I have no idea why this works. It may be resolving an issue that doesn't happen on Kubuntu.

Now that I've done this, ASP2 doesn't crash (as much) for me. I also tried some of the things that other users have reported (drag and drop) and they appear to work fine, though I haven't tested extensively.
dFlyer
operating_system: Linux

Re: Crashing on Linux - a suggestion

Post by dFlyer »

DaveK wrote:When I was trying out AfterShot Pro 2 (64-bit), I couldn't even launch the program without a crash. I'm running Kubuntu, which isn't officially supported, but I'm hoping this might help someone else.

This change is at your own risk. The fix was to remove the line "XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" from the script that launches AfterShot Pro 2. The script is /usr/bin/AfterShot2X64, the offending line is line 24. You can either remove the line or comment it out by putting a # in front of it. You'll have to edit it as root since it's a system file.

I'm not exactly sure what this environment variable does, why it's being set, or why it causes crashes on my system. My googling has only told me that it's something low-level with X11 programming, which isn't helpful. Honestly, I have no idea why this works. It may be resolving an issue that doesn't happen on Kubuntu.

Now that I've done this, ASP2 doesn't crash (as much) for me. I also tried some of the things that other users have reported (drag and drop) and they appear to work fine, though I haven't tested extensively.
Just tried this fix on Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS and it seems to work well. Not sure what the above line does but committing it out allows drag and drop without a crash/lock up of Unity.

Thank you.

Gary
Thanks.
Gary Garibaldi
Linux since 96
Sony a700
Sony a100
elguavas

Post by elguavas »

thanks a bunch mate. was having the exact same segfault on startup in kubuntu 15.04 with this new aftershot version. applied the fix you detailed to the startup script and now all works fine.

appreciate your sharing the discovery you made. ;)
hannes_hab
System_Drive: Z
motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H77-I
processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz x 8
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
sound_card: Radeon HD 7700 7800 Sapphire
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x250GbSSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG IPS 21:9 UltraWide 34UM95-P 3440x1440
Corel programs: AfterShotPro 1, 2, (3)

Post by hannes_hab »

yes this helps - had a problem with drag and drop of keywords in the keyword manager ... commenting out this line helped.
thank you very much!
regards Hannes
austria

Nikon D7000 + D70, Nikon P6000, Nikon P330 (use P7800) PanasonicTZ100, Vuescan
bibble 4, bibble 5, ASP mostly on Ubuntu 14.04 ( sometimes Suse Linux 11.4 or WIN10)
Hobgoblin

Post by Hobgoblin »

DaveK wrote:When I was trying out AfterShot Pro 2 (64-bit), I couldn't even launch the program without a crash. I'm running Kubuntu, which isn't officially supported, but I'm hoping this might help someone else.

Very many thanks. :D
This seems to resolve the issue with crashes when 'dragging' an image to a output batch as well.
(Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon)
Development team please take note!
R.
rsy
processor: Intel i7
ram: 16 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LaCie 324

Post by rsy »

Works for me on Fedora 22 64Bit
Thanks
Reinhard
Tommy_CZ
motherboard: -----
processor: AMD 6-core
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA+Intel
sound_card: audigy Rx
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: sRGB calibrated
Corel programs: AftershotPro 2

Post by Tommy_CZ »

Kubuntu is only one-word name for Ubuntu with KDE environment (QT), so it actually IS supported (because Ubuntu is or SHOULD be supported).
macr237
System_Drive: C
ram: 4GB

Post by macr237 »

This fix also fixes the Manage Metadata drag and drop issue in Keyword Manager.
Macr

:arrow: Visit my Flickr page.
mg519903
System_Drive: C
motherboard: M4A89GTD PRO
processor: AMD Quad Core
ram: 4 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 350 GB

Post by mg519903 »

This action also fixes the crash on "keywords manager" drag on my Open SUSE 13.2 (64b).

Thanks a lot for the post.
vlx
processor: Intel i7-5600U
ram: 11998364
Video Card: Intel
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell
Corel programs: AfterShot Pro

Post by vlx »

Removing XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 fixed the problem with AfterShot Pro 2.4 on my Linux Mint 17.1.