Give ASP Presets & DefaultRaw a chance to work

AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
B4b5

Give ASP Presets & DefaultRaw a chance to work

Post by B4b5 »

Lets Give ASP Presets & DefaultRaw a chance to do their jobs

Like b5 before it, ASP does a great job of selecting the appropriate Camera Make Model & Lens, etc.
Since not every Camera is known there are limitations but if the software functions with your RAW file
both the documentation and general discussions on the topic encourage users to find useable setting
and save a new DefaultRaw.xmp... A very good idea, but remember it's easy to go overboard by saving
too many settings in your "New DefaultRaw.xmp". If you need more than just a few simple changes
A new Preset might be a better choice. In either case keep it simple.

Presets are .xmp files just like the sidecar files are.
As a general proposition the sidecar.xmp contains explicit instructions only.
It explicitly gives values to be applied to the RAW file. On the other hand Preset.xmp's can contain
both explicit [as above] and implicit instructions which specify values not directly mentioned in the Preset,
all values not expressly given in the Preset remain unchanged from the previously existing sidecar.xmp file.
If no sidecar.xmp exists [yet] then ASP programatically uses DefaultRaw.xmp to establishes the required values.
A quick review of the originally supplied DefaultRaw.xmp reveals that it contains almost no explicit values
so the program does all of the work on the initial pass, mostly selection of Lens Correction;
Camera Make Model Lens Focal Length & Resize image ON, BUT DOES NOT Enable correction.
Understanding these behaviors is slightly obscured because ASP [or b5] doesn't write the initial
sidecar.xmp unless and until the user changes any setting - even the slightest thing, like Lens Correction ON.

When the program writes that very first sidecar.xmp it includes the Lens Correction stuff noted above and
what amounts to an inventory of all possible settings including those in any plugins that you have installed.
It also includes the one slight change you made to some setting in order to get that first sidecar.xmp...

The original DefaultRaw.xmp causes ASP to identify any [known] Camera Image that you give it.
Once you save a "New DefaultRaw.xmp" ASP follows the "new instructions" you've set. If the "New" Default
contains Camera or Lens specific settings ASP's ability to identify new equipment will be influenced.

In my case I only needed DefaultRaw to be Enable correction ON. If you are doing something simple like that
be careful not to include any other settings such as Focal Length which in my case gets properly set by ASP.
If you do each new image will be given the same Focal Length.

Finding the right settings for my camera was a bit confusing because I was using the factory supplied preset "ResetEverything"
to help speed things along. ResetEverything has a flaw, it resets ALMOST everything but at the same time tells ASP
that the image is from a camera that you might wish you owned - but you don't!
Here are the WRONG SETTINGS that ship with ResetEverything... :roll:
bopt:warpfocal="105"
bopt:profilemake="Canon SLR"
bopt:profilemodel="EOS 5D Mark II"
- EDIT - There is more than this, I have given more attention to the settings in a post below...

Not even close - I own a Panasonic Camera... and I'd recommend fixing ResetEverything before using it - it makes a nice exercise.

I hope this post provides encouragement to experiment with Preset - one of b5/ASP most best features.
I also hope it encourages users to share their Preset Tricks and to be careful when changing DefaultRaw.xmp.

One final thought. If your original DefaultRaw.xmp has been replaced by a "New" one that isn't giving you what
you want, and you can't fix it, a copy of the original exists at the address here:
Help>System Info...>System Home: C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\Corel AfterShot Pro\supportfiles\defaults\defaults

HAVE FUN!
Last edited by B4b5 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaymann
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
processor: Intel i-7 6800K
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3.5 T
Monitor/Display Make & Model: MSI MAG 341CQ & Dell 2470
Corel programs: PSP 2019 Ult, Painter 2020, CorelDraw X7

Re: Give ASP Presets & DefaultRaw a chance to work

Post by kaymann »

OK - So lets make this a sticky!

Thank you for the clarification on the defaults.
claudermilk
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium

Post by claudermilk »

Excellent post. Yes, get familiar with presets and use those instead of potentially polluting your RAW defaults with weird settings.
Bibble transplant
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

A HANDY TIP REGARDING Ctl+R :idea:

Ctl+R is an easy way to "Apply" DefaultRaw settings to your image - to start over.

As far as image adjustments are concerned it performs as advertised. But please be aware that if you have updated
IPTC or other Metadata, that stuff doesn't get "reset" by Ctl+R. If your metadata is sensitive, Ctl+R won't remove it.

A carefully constructed Preset can accomplish a complete reset including metadata, but the surest easy way is to just
delete the sidecar.xmp for your image.

Don't forget to close ASP before deleting any files.
jpmccormac
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium

Post by jpmccormac »

Interesting thread. Now if ASP only had RAW profiles for my 18 month old camera I'd be more interested. Come on, Corel, get the lead out...
"All who wander are not lost."
Tadjio
operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Core i7 2.8GHz 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ATI HD5570
sound_card: Sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB

Post by Tadjio »

Thanks for a very useful and informative thread, b4b5asp :D
I wish I had read it a few weeks ago - I was just picking up the gist of all this, mainly by examining the .xmp files.
(I have .xmp associated with WordPad).

One topic you didn't mention is the "Save as camera default..." Settings option.
This produces a Camera-specific equivalent of the DefaultRaw file that as far as I can make out takes precedence if present.
For my Olympus 4/3 E-PM1 it is called DefaultRawOLYMPUS_IMAGING_CORP__E_PM1.xmp
and for my Canon EOS D-SLR it is DefaultRawCanon_Canon_EOS_550D.xmp

One good example of using camera specific Defaults is the Crop Aspect Ratio:
For my Canon this is 3:2 but for my Olympus it is 4:3.
Tadjio
PSP X7.2 Ultimate user
AfterShot Pro 2.1 ASPirant
Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro
Canon EOS 100D, Olympus E-PM1 & iPhone 6
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

Tadjio wrote:Thanks for a very useful and informative thread, b4b5asp :D
I wish I had read it a few weeks ago - I was just picking up the gist of all this, mainly by examining the .xmp files.
(I have .xmp associated with WordPad).

One topic you didn't mention is the "Save as camera default..." Settings option.
This produces a Camera-specific equivalent of the DefaultRaw file that as far as I can make out takes precedence if present.
For my Olympus 4/3 E-PM1 it is called DefaultRawOLYMPUS_IMAGING_CORP__E_PM1.xmp
and for my Canon EOS D-SLR it is DefaultRawCanon_Canon_EOS_550D.xmp

One good example of using camera specific Defaults is the Crop Aspect Ratio:
For my Canon this is 3:2 but for my Olympus it is 4:3.
You're exactly right it makes sense to handle two very different cameras that way. I keep my few little adjustment in the DefaultRaw

Primarily because my camera specific stuff is only some basic exposure and noise settings. I use very simple Presets for those.

Presets makes it possible to roll everything all the way back to DefaultRaw. Ctl+R won't take you back past the your camera default.
MikeFromMesa
operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: N/A
processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 256 GB SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 24" Dell Ultrasharp Monitor
Corel programs: PaintShop Pro, AfterShot Pro

Post by MikeFromMesa »

To: B4b5

An interesting post. Thank you.

But I want to point out that there are some issues with lens selection and default actions that cause me, at least, some problems. I posted a thread about this a short time ago and there were some helpful suggestions, but nothing in your post helps me.

(1) The default setting does not turn lens correction to ON. It seems to me that ON should be the default for all images that have a matching camera/lens setting in the database. Why that is not the case puzzles me.
(2) ASP continues to select the wrong lens for me and, since the correct lens is in the database and the incorrect one is not, the software process of lens selection seems odd. Why would the software select a lens that is not calibrated when another one with the same specs (in my case Sigma 10-20mm) is?
(3) Using a preset to turn lens correction to ON means that either every image has to be individually selected and then set using the preset (a fair amount of work) or all the images have to have that preset set. But if images in a folder come from more than one lens (mine frequently do as I change lenses) I will be setting the wrong lens for many of my photos. I then have to determine which lens was actually used for all images by reloading the EXIF information. That is truly a pain, especially if the folder contains hundreds of images.

The only solution I have found is to modify the DefaultRaw file so turn lens correction to ON for all images and let the software determine which lens is right for each image. And to correct the odd behavior in (2) above I had to modify the lens database to remove the uncalibrated lens.
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

O.K. earlier in this thread I gave the impression that it wouldn't be too difficult to fix the prepackaged "Reset Everything" Preset from Corel.

Now that I've gone back to look at it, it seems to boil down to these few changes to get a lot closer to a better Reset Everything...

First of all keep in mind that you'll probably need to redo this when you add more plugins...

Here's how I do it:
1. Convert (develop) a new RAW file using the most basic "DefaultRaw.xmp".
2. View the new image in ASP.
3. Select Edit>Copy Selective Image Settings, then "All" & "OK"... DO NOT USE Ctl+Shift+C because that will miss all of the Metadata settings.
4. Paste the Clipboard contents into Notepad, give it a name (.xmp) and save it to your desktop.
5. Below I've listed what I believe is a complete list of the lines that need to be changed in your new .xmp to make your improved Reset Everything.
Note 1. Follow the instructions and caveats below each item or group of items.
Note 2. Ignor my numbers like "4780" "-2" "0" or "2007-06-12 12:02:51.000"... Your images will have other values.

bopt:sharpenon="true"
#-Change the State to "false" unless you prefer to always have Sharpening turned On.

bopt:kelvin="4780"
bopt:tint="-2"
bopt:lkelvin="4780"
bopt:ltint="-2"
bopt:ckelvin="4780"
bopt:ctint="-2"
#-remove these 6 items - image specific data set by ASP. but if more changes were made after these values were set by ASP, those changes will be retained.

bopt:cropstickyx="-1"
bopt:cropstickyy="-1"
#-remove these 2 items.

bopt:cropmenuitem="1.50 | 2:3 | 4x6 | 35mm;4114.5;2743;1;Size"
#-add this item (optional) if it isn't in the file it makes a starting point for crops.

bopt:Date="2007-06-12 12:02:51.000"
bopt:DigitizedDateTime="2007-06-12 12:02:51.000"
#-remove these 2 items - image specific data

bopt:warpon="true"
#-Change the State to "false" unless you prefer to always have Lens Correction turned On.

bopt:warpa="0"
bopt:warpb="0"
bopt:warpc="0"
#-remove these 3 items - camera & image specific data set by ASP.

bopt:warpfocal="0"
#-remove this items - camera & image specific data set by ASP.

bopt:profilemake=""
bopt:profilemodel=""
bopt:profilelens=""
bopt:lens=""
#-remove these 4 items - camera specific data set by ASP.

bopt:rn_smooth_enabled="true"
#-Change the State to "false" unless you prefer to always have Smoothing turned On.

See? That wasn't too bad, only about 22 item to change. Now you're the first kid on the block!