AfterShot Pro - Wishlist for future versions

AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
B4b5

Re: AfterShot Pro - Wishlist for future versions

Post by B4b5 »

We currently have Ctl+R - purported to apply Default settings, but it misses the metadata.
We also have Ctl+Shift+R- purported to apply Initial settings, but it misses the metadata.

Ctl+Shift+C misses the metadata & Produces different results from selecting Edit>Copy Selective Image Settings (Select All) which captures the metadata.

While it is important to retain these two pieces of metadata for the image;
bopt:Date="specific time and date information"
bopt:DigitizedDateTime="specific time and date information"
And anything else that might be image specific, the rest of the metadata should be safe to reset.

Could the controls be made to more closely match their description? Or change the description to more accurately state what the controls do? It's been this way since "bibble.whatever".

I appreciate the way that Alt+P rebuilds the previews. It might be nice if Alt+P (or a new control) only rebuilt selected Previews.
It might also be good to have something new like Alt+R to reconvert the RAW. The eqivilant of deleting the RAW.xmp to make ASP recreate the initial RAW.xmp file.

Something like Alt+R could be a truer "Reset Everything" - A start over button.
ogrizzo
operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: Q
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Integrated Apple iMac 27"

Post by ogrizzo »

darKing wrote:
LMB wrote:Here's my wishlist (some items stolen from previous posts). My top-items are:
  • Allow zoom smaller than Fit-to-Screen
This woul be helpful for... what? :?:
I'm so used to B5/ASP for manipulating images, that I use it rather than PS, say, to convert a small jpeg to BW or to color correct it. On a 27" monitor it could be quite weird to edit a 300x400 picture fit to screen

Not a top priority, but definitively useful.
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

ogrizzo wrote:I'm so used to B5/ASP for manipulating images, that I use it rather than PS, say, to convert a small jpeg to BW or to color correct it.
That's actually quite an endorsement; tell all of you PSP friend!
Autark
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: B
ram: 3GB

Post by Autark »

LMB wrote: Allow zoom smaller than Fit-to-Screen
darKing wrote: This woul be helpful for... what? :?:
One thing that comes to mind is to be able to place region points anywhere outside the image area.
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

Autark wrote: One thing that comes to mind is to be able to place region points anywhere outside the image area.
What's a region point?
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

The quick start video demonstrates the simplicity of Copying settings (Ctl+C) then pasting those settings to other images (Ctl+V).

In addition to the desired image adjustments, the practice erroneously pasts in the copied Focal length and lens correction data...
there should be a way to prevent that.
afx
System_Drive: N/A
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

B4b5 wrote:In addition to the desired image adjustments, the practice erroneously pasts in the copied Focal length and lens correction data...
Only if lens correction is active.
use SHIFT-CTRL-C....

How should a regular copy know whether you want the lens correction that you activated copied or not?
If you want control, use selective copy or copy sets.

cheers
afx
Last edited by afx on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
SteveCase
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4
processor: AMD FX-8350
ram: 16.0 GB
Video Card: GTX 550ti
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB

Post by SteveCase »

B4b5 wrote:The quick start video demonstrates the simplicity of Copying settings (Ctl+C) then pasting those settings to other images (Ctl+V).

In addition to the desired image adjustments, the practice erroneously pasts in the copied Focal length and lens correction data...
Control+Shift+C and then deselect whatever you don't want to copy works for me.

Steve in Seattle,WA
Autark
System_Drive: B
ram: 3GB

Post by Autark »

B4b5 wrote:
Autark wrote: One thing that comes to mind is to be able to place region points anywhere outside the image area.
What's a region point?
When you are creating a polygon or curve region in an adjustment layer, it is defined by points (coordinates). It is handy to be able to create regions that extend outside the image, but that is only possible if there is some blank space to click in, which is not always the case if the image is always zoomed to fit the largest possible area.
springm
System_Drive: Q

Post by springm »

Autark wrote:It is handy to be able to create regions that extend outside the image, but that is only possible if there is some blank space to click in, which is not always the case if the image is always zoomed to fit the largest possible area.
I support this strongly. Emulating a ND Grad is possible with a large feather radius, but ony if you first create the region in the image and later enlarge and move it outside.

Markus
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

afx wrote:How should a regular copy know whether you want the lens correction
Hi afx;

Of course you're right but don't forget we're in the "Wishlist zone" and I actually meant the comment in a slightly different context that I didn't expressed well enough.

I was thinking in terms of getting new users good results quickly, and how the documentation and videos make things appear more straight forward than the really are.
For example: The documentation shows how to use "Copy Sets" and we know that using them lets one avoid copying & pasting too much data between images.
The problem is that the documentation gives no indication that "Copy Sets" is the way to avoid copying & pasting too much data between images, or why that could be important.
I don't believe any new user will grasp this right away.

What I didn't say, because sometimes I forget that others aren't mind readers, is it might be useful if some of the control panels had a "Ctrl+C Lock" check box.
I'm just thinking about the few panels like "Lens Correction" "Color Management" "White Balance" that mostly get set by ASP/DefaultRaw and usually don't need changing.
Think of it as the opposite of "Copy Sets", call it a "Don't Copy Set", check boxes on Controls that tells Ctrl+C not to copy this control.

On the topic of Edit>Copy selective Image Settings versus Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Shift+C
Here's a demonstration that might shed some light on why new users get mixed-up with ASP.
Choose one of your test images and do a keyboard Ctrl+Shift+C. Try to ignore the fact that it failed to bring up the Selection Panel. Which I guess is a bug.
Paste the clipboard contents into one panel of WinMerge. Next copy the same image data using Edit>Copy selective Image Settings(select All - OK).
Paste the new clipboard contents into the other panel of WinMerge. Hit refresh on WinMerge and see the differences.
Presumably this is a bug - not sure how or to whom to report it but I trust it will be read here.

Even though ASP is awesome - ASP can always use a tad more awesomeness.
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

SteveCase wrote:Control+Shift+C and then deselect whatever you don't want to copy works for me.
Works for me too Steve. So do Copy Sets. But I was thinking in a slightly different direction here in the Wishlist zone.

Check my post above-> http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... 67#p240267
afx
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

B4b5 wrote: Choose one of your test images and do a keyboard Ctrl+Shift+C. Try to ignore the fact that it failed to bring up the Selection Panel.
Something is severely hosed on your box....

This and the mention of a different behavior between the settings menu and the shortcut ave seems to be an indication something is not right on your machine.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
B4b5

Post by B4b5 »

afx wrote:
B4b5 wrote: Choose one of your test images and do a keyboard Ctrl+Shift+C. Try to ignore the fact that it failed to bring up the Selection Panel.
Something is severely hosed on your box....

This and the mention of a different behavior between the settings menu and the shortcut ave seems to be an indication something is not right on your machine.

cheers
afx
It looks like something really is hosed, but check my post here-> http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... 82#p240282

Then let me know what you think that could be...
jknights
operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: C
motherboard: Apple
processor: Intel 3.08GHz Dual processor Quad Core
ram: 24GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600
sound_card: Intel HDA
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Apple Display

Post by jknights »

ogrizzo wrote:
darKing wrote:
LMB wrote:Here's my wishlist (some items stolen from previous posts). My top-items are:
  • Allow zoom smaller than Fit-to-Screen
This woul be helpful for... what? :?:
I'm so used to B5/ASP for manipulating images, that I use it rather than PS, say, to convert a small jpeg to BW or to color correct it. On a 27" monitor it could be quite weird to edit a 300x400 picture fit to screen

Not a top priority, but definitively useful.
+1 Definitely.
Isnt 24/27" screen normal size :lol:
Still learning after all these years!