processor: Intel core i3-12100 3_3ghz quad core processor
ram: 16Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel UHD 730 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 2021, 2022

Saved proxy files not available, why?

Post by Davidk »

In creating a vsp, the video clips had proxy files created (explorer screenshot).
explorer proxy file content.jpg
The proxy files were (like all the program material, media data and project files) stored on a separate HDD - not C.
And recently, the m/b of the desktop failed and was replaced, with a new SSD C drive necessitating a re-load of video Studio 2022 ultimate.
It's my understanding of proxy files that they are marked in the vsp, and the proxy file itself is also marked with the source file and location. So after a re-load of the program, re-configuring it point to the saved proxy location (screenshot),
Proxy preferences.jpg
and opening the saved vsp - it all should be as before. Not so. The vsp opened OK, but there are no proxy file markings on the affected clips, and the proxy file manager shows no proxy files in the specified location (screenshot), despite their existence according to explorer.
proxy file manager content.jpg
Any suggestions about why this conundrum has occurred?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lata
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX, 19, 20, 22 PSP2023, PI, MS3D

Re: Saved proxy files not available, why?

Post by lata »

As far as I am aware proxy file details are not stored within the VSP project file, only associated with the video files.
Because of that reason we can create proxy files from the library which do not require associating with a project / vsp.

How the program retains the proxy associations is a bit of a mystery, I assume cache files within the programs installation files.
I would imagine re-installing Video Studio would loose any proxy files, although I have not tested that theory.

Moving our files after creating the proxies would also remove associated proxies.

As you have found although the proxy files are still within your folder, Video Studio does not recognise those as proxy files.
Not an easy subject to test or explain.

Best thing Corel could do is allow us to re-link proxies in a similar way as re-linking video clips.
Dont hold your breath for that to happen
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX, 19, 20, 22 PSP2023, PI, MS3D

Post by lata »

I ran a few tests really to remind me just what Smart Proxy gets up to.
I wont bore you with the details, conclusion is that Proxies are associated directly with the video files and not the VSP.

Proxy details are saved to a INI and DLL file located here:-
C:\Users\trevo\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems
Called “uvProxyMgr.ini” and “uvProxyMgr_vstudio.dat”
Both these files being used by all versions of Video Studio, I think???

As a backup I was able to save a copy of these files along with the actual Proxy Folder containing the .UPX files.

Then I removed all proxy files from Video Studio.

Normally I would need to re-create / render all proxies.
By replacing the 2 back up files and the uxp folder the proxies reappeared in Video Studio.

Just one test that worked, doing it for real may give a different result??
Regards Trevor
Davidk
motherboard: ASUS Prime B660M-K D4
processor: Intel core i3-12100 3_3ghz quad core processor
ram: 16Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel UHD 730 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio: 2021, 2022

Post by Davidk »

And there's the answer .. on my freshly minted PC, there's no user account Appdata folder yet. The various CVS folders that appear in the C drive do seem to be there, altho the CVS items that would normally appear in \documents are on the onedrive\documents folders. So when I start creating proxy files, that folder tree will no doubt appear, and that's what I will have to do - manually re-create the proxy files.
But CVS 2022 ultimate did install and does seem to be working - generally (a silent crash condition (bug 0968) and this proxy files thing excepted).
And - so far at least - the new PC has enough grunt to run mp4 files (1920x1080 @50fps) without needing a proxy: they play smoothly and there's none of the characteristic jerkyness in the playback that indicates a proxy is needed.

Update
Manually creating a proxy file got the icon in the clip on the timeline and it appeared in the proxy file manager, but there was no Appdata folder . . hmm. Then enabled the "show Hidden" option in explorer, re-boot, and the AppData folder is now visible.