ram: 64GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT730
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 200GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung SyncMaster B2430
Corel programs: Studiopro Ultimate 2018

VS 2021 crashing while rendering

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hello all you helpful people,
I hope you can give me advice on this as I have been working on this project for 3 weeks and I am so frustrated.

I have VS 2021 which is crashing and shutting down after approximately 30 minutes of rendering.
My movie project is made up of GoPro 8 footage and Android phone footage. The project is 1.5 hours long with imported music and have used overlays, pan zooms and slow mos throughout the project.
I am using a desktop with windows 10 - computer i5-7400, 16GB RAM.

I am trying to create a WMV format so I can upload it to youtube.
I have copies the clips from when it fails (around 30 mins) to a new project and they render fine.

Any advise will be very much appreciated. (please explain every step of any action as I am no expert on VS or changes to my PC)
Thanks
Marcus
lata
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX, 19, 20, 22 PSP2023, PI, MS3D

Re: VS 2021 crashing while rendering

Post by lata »

I have moved your original past to the Video Studio forums where it should receive a better response.

You had problems with your GoPro footage some time ago here
https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?p=386900#p386900
So did replies to that post help.

When the render fails at 30 minutes which type of video files are involved and what if any features have been applied, for instance, pan and zoom and speed applied to the same clip could be troublesome.

Right click each video clip and choose properties, what are they?

Video from phones may use a variable frame rate which can prove difficult to edit.

Mixing frame rates, gopro, phone and project properties should be avoided where possible.
Recommendation to convert the clips to a more editable format may be the way to go.

Are you able to render to other formats, say MP4, probably the post popular for YT
Regards Trevor
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 3080
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4,X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018,2019,2021

Post by tletter »

MarcusQ1 wrote: I am trying to create a WMV format so I can upload it to youtube.
The WMV is not required to upload to YT. Supported YouTube file formats are listed at https://support.google.com/youtube/trou ... 8402?hl=en
MarcusQ1 wrote:My movie project is made up of GoPro 8 footage and Android phone footage.
Any variable frame rate phone footage may have to be transcoded to a constant frame rate.
MarcusQ1 wrote: I have VS 2021 which is crashing and shutting down after approximately 30 minutes of rendering.
You ought to look at what point in the VSP rendering is failing and try to determine what is causing the failure, e.g. corrupt clip, filter, etc.
MarcusQ1 wrote: I have copies the clips from when it fails (around 30 mins) to a new project and they render fine.
It sounds like you can render your VSP in 2 parts. If true then you could do that and then combine the 2 parts into a single video.

Overall, you're best to let VS match the properties of your source clips, i.e. use the "Same as First Video Clip" option.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
MarcusQ1
processor: i5-7400

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hello Trevor and Tletter

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I changed the format to MP4 and also clicked 'Same as first Clip'. This helped a bit but I am still having major problems. I got a final movie in my destination folder however when I try to play it with VLC it freezes half way and the sound is very distorted all the way through.

I tried a test project where I removed the clips at the point at which it freezes in case they are corrupt but it made no difference.
I would be grateful for any other suggestions you can give.
Cheers
Marcus
MarcusQ1

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hello Trevor and Tletter

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I changed the format to MP4 and also clicked 'Same as first Clip'. This helped a bit but I am still having major problems. I got a final movie in my destination folder however when I try to play it with VLC it freezes half way and the sound is very distorted all the way through.

I tried a test project where I removed the clips at the point at which it freezes in case they are corrupt but it made no difference.
I would be grateful for any other suggestions you can give.
Cheers
Marcus
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Sorry I missed your previous reply

Very strange that the rendered video does not play correctly using VLC
Tletter mentioned project properties to match the video files properties
Can you give details of those
Right click your video files, Go Pro and Phone for properties, what are they?
Variable frame rates used by many phones do cause some problems, it may that be that you will have to convert the footage to a more editable file.

Your project properties should match your video properties, difficult to achieve when using mixed video.
So what are the Project Properties, Settings – Project Properties.
You could try a test to create two project one for the GoPro and the other the phone
Of course the project properties will be different in each case, render using same as first clip, do both play ok using VLC.
Regards Trevor
MarcusQ1

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hi Trevor

Thanks for replying I appreciate you trying to help me, I am having no luck after trying lots of different rendering methods and this forum is very helpful for new ideas.

I have taken a screen shot of the project properties which I have attached which I hope you can see.
If I have the project format set as 'Mobile', the properties are all MPEG-4 AVC they have different pixels and frame rates but the first one is (360 x 640 25p 2.5Mbps) H:264 High profile video:2500kbps, 9:16

If I change the project format set as 'DV/AVI', the properties are all DV (720 x 576, 16:9, 50i)

I am not sure which I should be looking at?

I have also asked the Corel customer services about this problem, they suggested downloading XMedia and converting the files at the point where the movie fails from MP4 to MP4. which I did but this did not make any difference. I dont really want to convert every clip in the project as it 1 hour 1/2 long and I have put special affects on many of the clips.

cheers
Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi
Yes a bit of confusion regarding project properties.
Project Properties set the timeline to use specific frame rate and frame size amongst other attributes.
These should where possible match the properties of our video attributes, so if the Gopro uses 59.97fps then the timelines should be the same, frame sizes should also match.
Where you are using two different video files this may not be possible we can only match to one video.

Ok as a test can you start a new project......
When we start a new project the first video inserted to the top timeline will get a message to match properties, inserting your GoPro video should use those settings.
The message has a Detail button, hit that and we can see the existing properties on the left panel, the right panel showing the new video files properties, can you copy and paste those details, or create a snapshot jpeg to attach to your post, now hit yes / ok to set match properties.
How to attach images to our post here.....
https://forum.corel.com/viewtopic.php?t=57659

You should repeat the above, first start a new project, now insert one of the phone video files
The phone video may be using a variable frame rate and that may cause problems
As Corel support recommended converting, I would try converting the phone video to similar settings as the GoPro, if that is possible.

Ken Berry is our go to person for GoPro video as I know he uses a GoPro camera, maybe he can advise on settings.
Other options for video properties.

Right click the video clips on the timeline or library for Properties, create a snapshot / jpeg to attach here. Do this for both video types.
Regards Trevor
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 11
motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32 GB DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6600 XT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS2022; PSP2023; DRAW2021; Painter 2022

Post by Ken Berry »

I've still got my Hero 9 -- probably won't upgrade to the new Hero 11 as the 9 does all I want.

There are a couple of things about Marcus's posts that make me wonder. First, the phone video. Trevor and tletter have already mentioned the potential problems caused by the variable frame rates used by some smartphones. With such problems I'm afraid the only option is really to put the footage through a third party video converter and convert it back to mp4 with the same properties but a standard frame rate.

But I also wonder how Marcus holds his phone when filming video: does he hold it vertical i.e. in Portrait mode, or horizontal in Landscape mode. I invariably use the latter having learnt over several phones that most older smartphones held in Portrait mode only film in Portrait, while filming in Landscape will fill the screen properly when editing the video on your computer and rendering it to new video. Some modern smartphones held in Portrait mode nevertheless can produce video which becomes properly landscape when editing and rendering.

So I guess we need to know whether Marcus's phone fits either of these profiles.

I ask this also as he specifically mentions Mobile project properties of 360 x 640 and includes a screenshot. However that screenshot is set to show the Properties for a Previous Setting and the settings given there are 4K H.264. So I would guess that they are from the Hero 8 -- though the bitrate given is a rather low (and thus potentially low quality) bitrate of 1958 kbps. But in any case, if rendering using those Project Settings, I suspect VS would be using the 4K settings and not the 360 x 640 settings.

Marcus also mentioned DV/AVI settings, though how he happened on those I am not sure. They are something that Trevor and I have talked about a lot, though quite a few years in the past now. They are for a completely different type of video which Marcus should avoid with his current equipment. They are dangerous in the sense that the Properties shown in his screenshot miss one important point: DV/AVI uses Lower Field First, whereas the mp4 from both his Hero and phone would use either Upper Field First or Frame-based. If he produced DV/AVI video from his current project, then the Lower Field First would definitely produce poor quality flickering video.

I guess we also have to know whether Marcus wants to produce a 4K video from his project. If he does, then he needs to set his Project Settings to match those of the Hero 8 in the way described by Trevor. He could also do this manually by going to Share and choosing the AVC/H.264 output; then selecting one of the 4K profiles in the dropdown menu. This would also give him a much higher bitrate and thus quality.

(I am assuming here that Marcus understands that there is a difference between H.264/AVC video, which calls itself mp4; and the other type of mp4 in VS which comes under the button marked MPEG-4 next door to AVC/H.264 in Share. It uses a different codec. Since the Hero 8 uses H.264 (and H.265) I think it would be better to stick to that in final rendering. If he produces a new full H.264 video with which he is satisfied, and YouTube for some reason wants it using the other mp4 codec, then it should be easy enough to convert.)
Ken Berry
MarcusQ1

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hello Trevor and Ken

Thanks for replying to my post I appreciate the thought you have put into your suggestions.

In reply to Trevor
I have created test projects one with just the Phone video and the other with just GoPro footage and I have attached the properties below.
I also rendered the Phone video using the MPEG4 tab in the 'Share' page and it rendered successfully.
I also rendered the Gopro footage using the AVC/H.264 and that also rendered successfully.
Both these were just the footage with no alterations such as special effects.

In reply to Ken
When I record on my phone are always use landscape although my kids recorded a couple of clips in portrait. I used the portrait clips in the project by rotating them with the VS affects.
I also dont need to play the video in 4K as I recorded it on the Gopro in Standard 2.7K|60|L
I dont really understand the difference between the AVI/H.264 and MPEG4. However as you have suggested using the AVI/H.264 for the GoPro footage I will use that in future. Although I must add with my project that keeps failing I have tried all the tabs on the share page to try and render but it still fails part way through.

I would like to add that I also use a Youtube clip in my project and some music (some music off Youtube and others from my own computer)

I hope my response has helped you understand my issue.
Thanks for your continued help and suggestions
Cheers
Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 11
motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32 GB DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6600 XT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS2022; PSP2023; DRAW2021; Painter 2022

Post by Ken Berry »

Thanks for providing those Properties screenshots. They do, however, present a further complication in that it shows that you have your GoPro set to film with the fairly new H.265 codec and not the H.264 codec we have been talking about. I have my Hero 9 set to film with this codec too. But your computer needs to be set so as to be able to use the codec. I don't know if you have ever added the Microsoft HEVC Extension to your computer but you will find instructions here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open ... photos-app That extension is specifically for the H.265 codec.

Just so you know, H.265 produces very high quality video but more highly compressed (i.e. smaller) than the video produced by either the H.264 codec or mpeg-4 codec. But it requires a computer with good resources to be able to use it, as well as the HEVC Extension. If you don't want to use it in future, then go to your GoPro Preferences and change it back to use the H.264 which your Hero can also be set to use.

However, if you have accepted the VS offer to match your Project Properties to those of the video, then without the HEVC Extension, it will not be able to produce a valid H.265 video. That could be a reason that VS is not working properly for you.

The other comment relates to the frame format you have chosen: you say it's "Standard 2.7K|60|L" when the frame size is 3200 x 2400. Now that is one of GoPro's "standard" sizes, but it is not standard for VS. Although it will work in VS, it is likely that the frame produced will be letter-boxed on screen as it is 4:3 video rather than 16:9 which is what VS normally uses. GoPro uses it to give you more height in the frame, though I have to say I changed my Hero preferences to use either HD video (1920 x 1080) or full 4K (3840 x 2160).

You might also note that while you say you are using a frame rate of 60 fps, in fact it appears you are using 29.97 fps which is also standard for NTSC cameras. Again, there is no problem with this. But you need to bear things like this in mind when mixing video from different sources.
Ken Berry
MarcusQ1

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hi Ken

I have installed the HEVC Extension thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this didnt solve the rendering crashing issue :(

In regards to your comment on the fps. I got the 2.7K|60|L by just switching on my GoPro and it is just shown on the screen. It is strange that the project properties show 29.97 fps which is standard for NTSC. I would like to add that I am based in Australia and when I downloaded the VS program I choose PAL as that is the region option. Not sure if this would make a difference to the rendering process though.

One other thing I also tried was to check the point where the movie got to (as I get about 30 minutes of rendered movie. the whole movie should be 1.5hr) and I removed that clip from the project as I thought it might be corrupt. However this did not make any difference either.

I am also in contact with VS help services, they have requested a MSINFO32 report and a WinAudit report, which I have just sent them hopefully they may have some suggestions. I will post to this forum if anything comes of it.

Thanks for your continued suggestions on this.
If you have any other suggestions I would like to give it a try.

Thanks
Marcus
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Marcus
A couple of things that came out of your replies

1 / The phone video appears to be using a variable frame rate indicated by using 29.826fps

2 / You mention using sound / music files, If they are mp3 then could be using a Lame Codec, that can cause problems for Video Studio, If you are using mp3 then I suggest converting those to Wav to use in your project.

3 / Installing Video Studio, Pal would be normal for you, however if your cameras use NTSC and not Pal then you may be best to set the program to NTSC, this will reset the Share profiles to use NTSC 29.97fps by default. I believe RobertOz does this.
Go to Preferences(F6) – at the bottom of the General tab is the TV System, select NTSC, then reboot the program.

4 / If the project always fails at 30 minutes it would make sense to think there is a problem at that point, so what has been applied to the timeline at that point,
does the video switch from GoPro to Phone
Have you applied any A/B transitions, FX filters, speed controls, reverse video.

Project Playback range
This selects a section of our project, we can then render just that section.
Set the project range from say 25 minutes to 35 minutes, you can now render just the 10 minutes over the 30 minute problem point. This may help in pinpointing the location of the problem.
Some info here, scroll down to second image
http://lata.me.uk/corel/all.htm
Regards Trevor
MarcusQ1

Post by MarcusQ1 »

Hi Trevor

Thanks again for all your top tips.
To give you an update and closure.
I have not heard back from VS customer services yet so they may come up with a better way. However what I have done to resolve my issues is rendered the project until it crashed then deleted the section that worked and rendered the remaining project until it crashed again. Then repeated this process until I had several rendered small movies. I then opened a new VS project added all the rendered projects and rerendered again using AVC/H.264 and clicking 'same as first clip'. this worked for me but a long labour intensive method.

I did not delete any clips so I dont really understand why it kept crashing when it was one single project.

Thanks
Marcus