ram: 32 Gb
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GT-640 2Gb
sound_card: integrated realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 9 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: samsung 27B370
Corel programs: Ulead6 to VSX9,X10,VS2018 to VS2021,MS3D

Rendered MP4 empty vs full .v and .a accompanying files

Post by brouillette »

I want to upgrade a previous VSP (5-7 yrs old) from DVD to MP4 HD & Bluray.

VS2021 opened and reflected the project VSP properly so no issue on the VSP side.

Then in the Share tab / MP4 /1080-30p 15Mbps , I end up on my destination HDD with a rendered empty MP4 file (0 Kb) with two accompanying files that seem full to me, extension ".v" file at 2.7Gb (Corel video file, I guess) and ".a" file at 38 Mb (Corel audio file ?).

What does it mean and how can I resolve ?

Thanks for your help !
Guy
VS2019 Ultimate, MyDVD with Bluray add-on, Motion 3D, Intel i7-4790K 4.0 Mhz/4cores/8 threads, Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H, 32 Gb RAM, Zotac GT-640 video card,Sony DSC-RX100M5 digital camera, NTSC, PS3, 55 inch plasma, LG WH10LS30 Bluray Rewriter, PowerDVD
tletter
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: i7-3632QM
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 3080
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4,X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018,2019,2021

Re: Rendered MP4 empty vs full .v and .a accompanying files

Post by tletter »

brouillette wrote: I end up on my destination HDD with a rendered empty MP4 file (0 Kb) with two accompanying files that seem full to me, extension ".v" file at 2.7Gb (Corel video file, I guess) and ".a" file at 38 Mb (Corel audio file ?).
What does it mean and how can I resolve ?
It means that VS crashed during rendering and left some temporary files behind. Suggest that you delete them and try rendering again.

If you repeatedly can't render your VSP, then you ought to look at what point in the VSP rendering is failing and try to determine what is causing the failure, e.g. corrupt clip, filter, etc.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 11
motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32 GB DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6600 XT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS2022; PSP2023; DRAW2021; Painter 2022

Post by Ken Berry »

I'd assume the .v file contains v for video; and the .a file a for audio... Whatever the case, though, they are not much use to you.

But I also wonder what the original properties of the video in the DVD vsp were: can you please right click on one of the clips in the timeline and copy its Properties here? I'd be first checking to make sure the field order (Upper or Lower) is the same in both the original and new.

I can see why you might have chosen MPEG-4 as the output in Share, but you might be better off using the option immediately before it (AVC/H.264) as AVCHD is one of the formats used for Blu-Ray discs. It is a version of mp4 but not the same as the MPEG-4 choice. You could also try not using mp4 or AVCHD but have the Properties of the output file set to high definition but using mpeg-2 which is the other Blu-Ray format.

If you have trouble with either of these alternatives, then also experiment with turning on or off SmartRender or Hardware Acceleration. Either of these will make rendering longer but may avoid the problems that some users have at this point.

And as a somewhat whimsical option, given that you have the original project and its video etc open in the timeline, if nothing else worked I would think about extracting the mpeg-2 DVD files, converting them in a video converter like the freeware Handbrake to HD properties, then reinsert them in the same places in the timeline. They will presumably have the same time length as the original video clips, so that should not affect the overall length of the project. And then render the project as a Blu-Ray...
Ken Berry
brouillette
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
processor: Intel i7_4790K 4 MHz quad core 8 threads
ram: 32 Gb
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GT-640 2Gb
sound_card: integrated realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 9 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: samsung 27B370
Corel programs: Ulead6 to VSX9,X10,VS2018 to VS2021,MS3D

Post by brouillette »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I wanted to fully try all alternatives suggested before !

Good news, it works !

Ken, your approach of using AVC instead of MP4 and unchecking both SmartRender and HWacceleration worked.

The good thing about AVC versus MP4, even if "rendering" crashed 3 times, the resulting partial AVC file length/time is indicated and helped me go back in the corresponding time in the timeline of my VSPs (I had 2 acting older VSPs).

I replaced the culprit. It was a transition that was part-of and added under VSX10 (the "Side" with a roll unrolling). It jammed/crashed again at the next one so it took me 3 times after removing/replacing them all in my 1h32 video VSP.

Don't know if it is the AVC that did solve the problem or unchecking the SmartRender and HWacceleration , or both together ?

Question : Smart Package is great in carrying thru time all photos/videos/music clips but does not carry Transitions, Title format or FX, from what I can see. They seem to be tied to the original VS program. Even If the newer VS version does have them, it can crash if different or not supported, I guess. Even if it is the same Transition ("Side" unrolling) in both VSX10 and VS2021, there is must be a software difference or a glitch so that it crashes in VS2021 five years later. Any way to prevent this in the future ?

Once again many thanks for your help !

Guy
Guy
VS2019 Ultimate, MyDVD with Bluray add-on, Motion 3D, Intel i7-4790K 4.0 Mhz/4cores/8 threads, Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H, 32 Gb RAM, Zotac GT-640 video card,Sony DSC-RX100M5 digital camera, NTSC, PS3, 55 inch plasma, LG WH10LS30 Bluray Rewriter, PowerDVD