processor: i7 2600k
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Nvidia 650
sound_card: Asus DX
Hard_Drive_Capacity: Lots
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA272W

Is it really so difficult?

Post by bananahead »

So we now have AfterShot 2.2 and all of the plugins need to be recompiled.

My understanding of this is that the compile needs to be done six times. 32 and 64 bit for Windows, Linux and OSX. And then the plugin needs to be regression tested for each platform.

What I don't understand is why this has not been completed in the last three months. I would have thought that Corel would have done this themselves.

Do Corel not employ developers and testers that are also photographers? Do these people not use their own tools in their workflow? Do they not share our pain?

Every image that I produce will have had at least one plugin applied which currently means that ASP 2.2 is of no use to me.

I like ASP (together with PSP) and it will be with much regret that I will switch products. But I will start this process at the end of the month unless all of the plugins are available.
Arnfinn
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58 Rev 1.xx
processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 960 3.20GHz 3.20GHz
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
sound_card: High Definition Audio Device [5x]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 12 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ G2400W 24,0" + Acer X203H 19,9"
Corel programs: ASP

Re: Is it really so difficult?

Post by Arnfinn »

bananahead wrote:So we now have AfterShot 2.2 and all of the plugins need to be recompiled.
My understanding of this is that the compile needs to be done six times. 32 and 64 bit for Windows, Linux and OSX. And then the plugin needs to be regression tested for each platform.
What I don't understand is why this has not been completed in the last three months. I would have thought that Corel would have done this themselves.
Do Corel not employ developers and testers that are also photographers? Do these people not use their own tools in their workflow? Do they not share our pain?
Good question, Bananahead!!! Corel should by this last Qt framework upgrade for V.2.2 really have learned how important each plugin is for their core product. Everytime someone enhances something in ASP through a plugin, Corel has a better product and their product can appeal to a larger audience.

My understanding of this Qt upgrade is that it was necessary for further development of ASP, as the old Qt framework was limiting and the new one opens up to a whole set of opportunities and reuse of code. The problem has been that most plugins have been developed on a voluntary and non commercial basis. Much out of passion and necessity. The last days of Bibble and the extremely slow start of Corel/ASP has probably deteriorated some of that passion, and thus some plugins have been rendered as either discontinued or abandoned. Corel has to find a solution where those plugins can be put back into existence, either by aquisition to incorporate the functions into the core product, or by cooperating with the plugin developers in such a way that it ensures further enthusiasm in the plugin community. Passion for your own product is a key to success. Such passion tends to also influence on it's surroundings, hereunder both customers and plugin developers. The new Qt framework upgrade can be the telltale signs of a greater change and hope for the future development and life of this product. Bottom line, Corel has the key to it all...

Corel did promise a closer cooperation with their internal developers team for the plugin developers through the new closed plugin forum. Check out Alex Brazeau's post of Wed Jan 14, 2015 "Announcement for Plugin Developers"
http://forum.corel.com/EN/posting.php?m ... 6&p=300410
Alex Brazeau wrote:Private Forum for Plugin Devs
In response to other requests, we’ve resurrected a private developers forum where devs can get together to discuss and collaborate on plugin related issues. This is a practice some of you found to be extremely helpful back in the Bibble days. Many of you have expressed your desire to see more plugins make their way to the 64-bit version of AfterShot Pro and this revived forum will help devs to connect and work out issues with our internal development team in a timelier manner, so we can bring you the plugins you’ve been waiting for in 64-bit under the new Qt framework.
Last edited by Arnfinn on Fri May 01, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long time AfterShot Pro & Bibble user...
http://creativewithlight.com/
afx
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

bananahead wrote:What I don't understand is why this has not been completed in the last three months. I would have thought that Corel would have done this themselves.
Pretty hard to do without access to the source code....

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
bananahead
operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: Asus P67

Post by bananahead »

afx wrote:
bananahead wrote:What I don't understand is why this has not been completed in the last three months. I would have thought that Corel would have done this themselves.
Pretty hard to do without access to the source code....

cheers
afx
Excuses.

Just get the source code.

If there are plugin developers that have no intention of supporting their plugins (and I can understand that to a degree) then get them to supply the source code.
Arnfinn
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58 Rev 1.xx
processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 960 3.20GHz 3.20GHz
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
sound_card: High Definition Audio Device [5x]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 12 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ G2400W 24,0" + Acer X203H 19,9"
Corel programs: ASP

Post by Arnfinn »

bananahead wrote:Just get the source code.

If there are plugin developers that have no intention of supporting their plugins (and I can understand that to a degree) then get them to supply the source code.
The plugin developers own their own code. It would be fair if Corel made them an offer to hand over their code. Corel has a long history of purchasing software and code to make it their own. They are the ones that benefit heavily from the enhancements those plugins offer, and they should obviousely have realized by this latest upgrade how valuable they are to both the product and it's users...
Long time AfterShot Pro & Bibble user...
http://creativewithlight.com/
bananahead

Post by bananahead »

Yes I'm not suggesting that they should not be rewarded for their work. (although quite a lot of us have paid for plugins and if the developers have no intention of providing support then why not let others).

If I were Corel then I would have a clause in the SDK contract that said that developers must provide source for safe keeping and would lose rights under some circumstances.
andreas
System_Drive: X
motherboard: Asus in Workstation and Dell XPS Notebook
processor: i7-980 and i7-2720QM
ram: 12GB - 8GB
Video Card: ATI FireGL
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.5TB Rd10
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung Syncmaster 2343sw

Post by andreas »

keep in mind that some code used in the plugins has non compatible licenses to a commercial product. Currently as totally separate plugins one may stretch these licenses a bit, but that is not possible with integration by Corel.

Andreas
Linux - not Windows
afx
System_Drive: N/A
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

bananahead wrote: Excuses.
Pretty hard to do if a developer refuses to answer any mail that mentions Corel (Sean Pucket).
Corel did that. Doesn't mean they get it.
And some developers just vanished (sadman), no way to reach them at all.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
bananahead

Post by bananahead »

afx wrote:
bananahead wrote: Excuses.
Pretty hard to do if a developer refuses to answer any mail that mentions Corel (Sean Pucket).
Corel did that. Doesn't mean they get it.
And some developers just vanished (sadman), no way to reach them at all.

cheers
afx
All of this is an issue for Corel They have a product that depends heavily on third party code. They should have realised this when they bought Bibble and done something about it at that time.
skrimaging
operating_system: Mac

Post by skrimaging »

I am reading this great thread andI agree with everything and feel that at this point, Corel needs to start developing their ASP 2 plugins in-house (it's their software so they should know how to code for it)...

Why do they rely on volunteer developers that can vanish into thin air without notice... Just get some of your Corel devs to make the plugins.. that way, no more dependance..

This is causing customers losing hope in the plugin support.