VSX6 --> VSX8 upgrade ...install problem?

OBB
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell XPS Studio 8900
processor: 6th Gen i7-6700
ram: 32Gb
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4Gb
sound_card: RME RayDat
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Multiple
Corel programs: Painter15/Paintshop-pro/Sketch

VSX6 --> VSX8 upgrade ...install problem?

Post by OBB »

So I did the upgrade from VS X6 ultimate to X8 ultimate yesterday, mostly for the extra chroma-key options... But after installing it? right away something is missing... Most of the transitions & FX, including the most basic ones like "fade to black" & FX like "ghost motion" suddenly are all missing in X8...

Per Corel's tech to upgrade he said to simply uninstall X6 & then install X8. And because of it being the upgrade version that it would ask me for both serials & keys. So I did what he said, I uninstalled X6 and then installed X8 but on install it only asked for the new X8 key and did not ask for the X6 key.

So I suppose my question is How do you do the upgrade correctly... Do I now uninstall X8, re-install X6 and then install X8 on top of it?
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: VSX6 --> VSX8 upgrade ...install problem?

Post by lata »

Hi

Corel Video Studio X8 Ultimate comes with three installation files.

VideoStudioUltimateX8_64bit_1Main.exe
This installs the main program, limited library content

VideoStudioX8_2Contents.exe
This installs the additional content to complete your installation.

VideoStudioUltimateX8_64bit_3Bonus.exe
This Installs the Ultimate packages ProDad etc.

In addition you may have purchased
VideoStudioX8_Blu-ray.exe

Have you installed all files?
Regards Trevor
OBB

Post by OBB »

Yes I've downloaded & installed them all twice now and both times I get the same exact result...

Am I suppose to leave X6 in place when you do the X8 upgrade?
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi

Very strange, I would have thought that if the X6 serial number was required that the Main program file would not install, and that must have installed ok.

Did you have the trial version installed.

Reset the program by re-naming the folder 18.0 to “18.0 Copy”

Go to Start and Paste %appdata% to the search panel, that should find the Roaming folder
Browse to find :-
C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro (x64)\18.0

Rename that folder

I assume you have installed the 64bit version

As for X6 yes you could have left that installed, most of us have several versions installed
But as the main program has installed there should be no problems
Regards Trevor
OBB

Post by OBB »

lata wrote:Hi

Very strange, I would have thought that if the X6 serial number was required that the Main program file would not install, and that must have installed ok.
You would think...
lata wrote:Did you have the trial version installed.
No, I have 2 licensed machines on X6... Trying to know why half the content comes up missing with the upgrade version before doing the other machine as well...
lata wrote:Reset the program by re-naming the folder 18.0 to “18.0 Copy”

Go to Start and Paste %appdata% to the search panel, that should find the Roaming folder
Browse to find :-
C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro (x64)\18.0

Rename that folder
Just did this, now when I try to open X8 it loads to the point where Vitascene tries to load but then won't load any further past 64% and If you throw CTRL/ALT/DEL at it, X8 doesn't even show up in the process to end it... only way to end process is restart the machine...

I guess I'll try installing it all a third time...
OBB

Post by OBB »

Ok, so installed it now a third time & watched it very well all the way through...

I can install the main program X8, no problems as fdar as I can tell... On completion If I open X8 it has all of the standard transitions & FX are there, including "fade to black"...

So next I installed the "Bonus pack"... used the "Install all" option, after install I went and opened X8 again and looked at the transitions & FX menus... All The FX are there but the transitions menu is cut by nearly 1/2 in quantity.. If I look at my laptop still running X6, I count 128 transitions, in X8 I notice after installing the bonus pack it drops to 54 transitions in the menu, including "fade to black' now missing...

From there I installed the "Content' package... and this fills up the content menus as it should but now you are stuck with the 54 transitions left & now the other 1/2 of the FX are missing again as well... I would think the bonus package & the content package should be adding menu options, not subtracting them...

This is so frustrating...
OBB

Post by OBB »

...and it looks like it makes no matter how many times I download them.. going on install #5 now... It flops every time when it installs the bonus (prodad, blue etc..) it wipes out all the transitions, something is screwy with the upgrade & this isn't right...

This is not how to have fun on a Friday...
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Post by RobertOZ »

OBB wrote:Ok, so installed it now a third time & watched it very well all the way through...

I can install the main program X8, no problems as fdar as I can tell... On completion If I open X8 it has all of the standard transitions & FX are there, including "fade to black"...

So next I installed the "Bonus pack"... used the "Install all" option, after install I went and opened X8 again and looked at the transitions & FX menus... All The FX are there but the transitions menu is cut by nearly 1/2 in quantity.. If I look at my laptop still running X6, I count 128 transitions, in X8 I notice after installing the bonus pack it drops to 54 transitions in the menu, including "fade to black' now missing...

From there I installed the "Content' package... and this fills up the content menus as it should but now you are stuck with the 54 transitions left & now the other 1/2 of the FX are missing again as well... I would think the bonus package & the content package should be adding menu options, not subtracting them...

This is so frustrating...
I don't know if it will make any difference but the Contents Pack should be installed BEFORE the Bonus Pack
Dell Inspiron 7567,Win 10(2004) Intel Kaby-Lake i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5,dual drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS23 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2019, VS 2020 Ult
OBB

Post by OBB »

RobertOZ wrote:I don't know if it will make any difference but the Contents Pack should be installed BEFORE the Bonus Pack
Have done both ways half a dozen times today... The main X8 program loads fine, the contenet loads fine... It's something in the Bonus pack, I'm down to installing each plugin separately and so far the problem seems to pop up when you install the new Boris Adorage plugin... Got the main Boris plug-in in but as soon as I added Adorage, I lost 60% of the standard transitions...
OBB

Post by OBB »

...And so now on install/upgrade attempt #7 and still going...

From the upgrade package... You can:
Install the 64 bit X8 package, without a hitch...
Install the 32/64 bit Content package, without a hitch...

BUT---
From the upgrade download version of "Bonus Content" here is what I know what now happens...
...I've resorted to installing plug-ins separately and here's what I know, first hand...
When installing the bonus content..
All goes fine, with these 2 exceptions below:

1) You can install almost all "Bonus Content" ...BUT... The moment after you install the Boris Adorage pack, after install, if you open X8 and you will find you just lost more than 60% of all transitions, with the majority of the ones being gone are the most simple, such as "FADE TO BLACK" and 50+ others in one fell swoop... doesn't matter how you install it, automatic or individually... So in a nutshell, the moment the Adorage package is introduced... While I can see a few new Adorage transitions added to the menu, you still loose more than half of your most basic standard transitions... My guess is there a bug in the download upgrade package somewhere...

2) I also found out that when go to install Vitascene? The install abruptly asks for another Serial # (it will not take the X8 serial, it wants more digits) and from there you can't progress the installation of Vitascene... and that bonus also no longer works... Again, my guess is there a bug in the download upgrade package somewhere...

I sure hope they fix this... I love using Corel products, been using them for decades now, but... I'm tech savvy enough to know that an upgrade installation is not supposed to be this difficult at all!
RobertOZ
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A86 1.04E01
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 930
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 5770
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 32" IPS LED (Main) HP 23fi IPS LED
Corel programs: VSX4-X10 VS 2018/2019/2020 & MS 3D

Post by RobertOZ »

OBB wrote:1) You can install almost all "Bonus Content" ...BUT... The moment after you install the Boris Adorage pack, after install, if you open X8 and you will find you just lost more than 60% of all transitions, with the majority of the ones being gone are the most simple, such as "FADE TO BLACK" and 50+ others in one fell swoop... doesn't matter how you install it, automatic or individually... So in a nutshell, the moment the Adorage package is introduced... While I can see a few new Adorage transitions added to the menu, you still loose more than half of your most basic standard transitions... My guess is there a bug in the download upgrade package somewhere...

2) I also found out that when go to install Vitascene? The install abruptly asks for another Serial # (it will not take the X8 serial, it wants more digits) and from there you can't progress the installation of Vitascene... and that bonus also no longer works... Again, my guess is there a bug in the download upgrade package somewhere...
Ok, Can you try installing X8, then install the contents pack, then check to confirm that all your transitions are there, if so go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro (x64)\18.0 and rename old, relaunch X8 and let the 18.0 folder rebuild, close X8 and then install the Bonus Pack, launch X8, if the transitions are missing, again go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro (x64)\18.0, now rename the new 18.0 folder Old and remove the old from the existing 18.0 folder, so you are reinstating the original 18.0 folder, then relaunch X8, do the transitions now appear, I have had the same issue with transitions disappearing and doing that solved the problem for me.

I think you should re-download the Bonus Pack, it should not ask for a serial number for Vitascene, so you could have a corrupt download
Dell Inspiron 7567,Win 10(2004) Intel Kaby-Lake i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5,dual drives, 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD, Samsung 28" 3840x2160 UHD 4K LED Monitor
PS23 Ultimate, PSP 2020, PhotoMirage, Painter 2019, VS 2020 Ult
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

How did you tried to install Vitascene? You must run it from the splash screen not from it's folder.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi

I ran some tests installing the program in different orders, it did not seem to matter whether Bonus or Content was installed first.
Installing the Content last should re-install the library, so any personal library pages would be removed.

When we run the installer setup files are extracted to the Corel , these being used to install the program.
For subsequent installs it may be best to delete these, I don’t know if the originals are used or overwritten. Maybe save to a different location, then install.

I have just extracted to a new folder on my desktop.
The setup files has folders for each plug-in_X64
The Adorage folder is 164 Mb (172,265,951 bytes) --- 5,201 Files in 149 Folders

Maybe you can compare that with the sizes you see.

As Asik says install from the splash screen,
Installing from the folder will probably cause problems with serial numbers.
Regards Trevor
OBB

Post by OBB »

Yes I've renamed the 18.0 folder three times now... all it does here is make X8 hang-up & freeze while trying load vitascene, and then you have to shut the machine off and when you open X8 again after restart it's back to square 1... transitions mostly gone & then 75% of the effects in the FX menu spit back a Corel VideoStudio error message stating "insufficient memory 15036:0:0"... and if I look at task manager it shows nothing being used on the memory end... And this machine has 8Gb Ram available so I'm scratching my head on that now too... And I also get an odd message when I click on the motion guide icon it says "you're graphic card does not support this feature"...which is even more strange as It worked just fine in X6...

About the only thing I can even remotely think of now is maybe there was an old files from the X6 installation conflicting with this install?

Thanks Lata for the viatascene file size to check against, mine shows the exact same file size you have... And yes when I save the setup files I save it to a separate folder not in the program tree...

Later today someone from Corel is supposed to help me try to install this via remote connection and hopefully they will be able to sort this out... I'm sure hoping that I'm not going to be recovering this entire machine this weekend... Fingers crossed.
Last edited by OBB on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi

Thanks for the feedback,, good luck
Regards Trevor