X8 Working Folders/AutoMusic files/missing Graffiti template

tanguero
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

X8 Working Folders/AutoMusic files/missing Graffiti template

Post by tanguero »

(Subject updated 20 Mar 2015 to incorporate discussion on missing Boris Graffiti templates.)
(Updated 16 Mar 2015 to incorporate Item 4 and change Subject to incorporate AutoMusic discussion.)
I've created a new thread here (original in http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56157) since it has digressed into a new topic that deserves its own thread with an explicit subject:
lata wrote:Hi Tanguero
Thanks for the info regarding temp wav’s created from Auto Music.
I have used Auto Music for the first time over the last few days, as you know this music is new to X8. I was unaware of the auto creation of Wav files.
I know that VS saves temp files including video to the Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0 sub folders (DMF_Temp).

Oh silly me….X8 has a separate Working folder dedicated to Audio, I’ve not set that location, may try C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\AudioTmp

Now the program has 3 Working Folders
One for normal editing , Snapshots etc.
One via the burner module that targets a different folder DMF_Temp
And now an Audio working folder.

Each of these can have a different location allocated by the user.
OK, I agree it seems we have three working folders, as follows:
1. Working folder (set in Settings > Preferences > General, default ...\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\):
- For .vsp files (under \My Projects), snapshots, rendered files seem to default there, who knows what else
2. Audio Working folder (set in Settings > Preferences > General, default ...\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\VoiceOver\):
- As the name suggests, presumably narration goes there, or maybe voiceovers for screen captures only (since that's new for X8 and you suggest that this folder setting is new for X8 too)
- .wav files for AutoMusic used in the project should go there logically, but it seems to go into the last used folder instead (see below).
3. Proxy Folder (set in Settings > Preferences > Performance, default ...\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\):
- Presumably for lower-res proxy files if proxy editing is turned on, apparently in a SmartProxy subfolder under this working folder
4. (per lata)Disc Burning Module Temp Folder (set in Share > Tools > Create Disc > DVD (or BluRay) > Settings and Options (F6) > Preferences, default ...\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\):
- Used by Burner Module during pre-burn rendering

You say that the temp Folder (DMF_TEMP) is another one, but there's no separate setting for it that I could find, so I wouldn't call it a separate working folder--it seems to be just another subfolder under the main working folder. (I don't know what temp files are stored there or what DMF stands for. In addition, TEMP could just as well be an abbreviation for Template, although there is a VSPTemplate folder, though the 2Contents templates are not there--no idea where they are stored.)

In addition there is a 5th
5. Last Used Folder -- not settable, used (and sometimes misused) by the program when it feels it should (presumably only for things that fall outside the three explicitly settable ones above, such as where files were last imported from).

Now one could argue about what should be included in which folder but as long as usage is consistent, it's probably not a big deal. But the one true bug seems to be where the compiled .wav files (created from the AutoSound processor) are stored. I've seen at least two manifestations or rather two negative consequences of this bug:

(i) If you go to AutoMusic and click on Play Selected Song just to see what it sounds like, it creates a 23-second clip and stores it in some random place (perhaps Last Used Folder?). The fact that it's stored in a random place is bad enough, but it should not be stored at all as far as I'm concerned since I was just sampling it. Sure, it needs to be created to be played, but since it's just a sample, it should be created and played in-memory. And if it must be a file since it uses a sound player plugin that reads from a file, it should be put in a truly Temp directory (such as Windows system temp directory) and not somewhere where you have no idea later if you come across the file whether it is useful or can be deleted.

(ii) If you actually use AutoMusic in your project, presumably a compiled .wav file is created that indeed makes sense to save (to avoid recompiling each time the project is opened if nothing is changed). I deleted all the .wav files that looked like they came from AutoMusic (they have names that match the theme), and I have one that I actually use in my project. It plays fine in the (unrendered) project without any rendering delays so the .wav file is indeed somewhere but I cannot find it at all! It saved it in some random Windows-Explorer-wide "last used" folder or somesuch. Clearly it should be saving it within the VS working folder, not leaving crap all over my filesystem. I'd have to do a full system search to find the file, and if I move or delete it, VS will just create it again when I next open the project, in some other random-to-me location.
Last edited by tanguero on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
lata
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: VideoStudio X8 Working Folders

Post by lata »

Hi

The third working folder is used by the Burner Module
Go to Share – Disc DVD
Choose the Settings and Options icon lower left (F6) (Preferences)
When the process renders the project prior to burning temp files are created, temp VSP will also be created depending on how you use the burner.
Create Menu also uses temp files.

Anyway that the third folder.

As for those Auto Music wavs, I had a lot, all over the place Hmmm more tests today.
I have also to read your post in full not had time as such………

Post Updated

VSP Templates Folder

This is purely to hold users Instant Projects templates, it also includes 16 templates created when installing Boris Graffiti.
The Corel Guide -- Do More section has a lot of Instant Project Templates, I have not counted of late but approx. 100.
They are downloaded as an exe + html file and saved to here:-
C:\ProgramData\Corel\Downloads
Having unusual numerical names the folders are difficult to identify.

The downloads auto install creating a new folder to the VSP Templates Folder
Any templates folder here will populate the Instant Projects library.

What you see at the moment when viewing Instant Projects library have been installed by the program, not user downloads.

The problem with Do More downloads, we cannot view the affect unless we install.
So cannot say if we will use it?
Like you I don’t want files on my pc that I don’t need? But yes I can delete if I wish.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Re: VideoStudio X8 Working Folders for Auto Music

Post by lata »

Well I am having a great time in testing the Auto Music, it seems to have a mind of its own.
At first the wav files were saved to what seemed any location, (C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro)
sometimes the files were retained other times deleted on closing the program, I can understand that but there seemed to be no pattern to this……..

Now all wav files are saved to here:-
C:\Users\Trevor\AppData\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro (x64)\18.0\en-US\ScoreFitter

After locating this I reset the program for a new start. (rename 18.0)
Now I do not get files to the working folders or any other only the above 18.0 folder. (so far)

There can be a lot of Wav's, duplicates being created for different clip lengths.

No Sound

Sometimes I add an auto music clip to the timeline, yet no audio, Play selected song, no sound?
I can view in Sound Mixer to see the wav form, but that is flat, no audio.
I started making a list of the problem ones, then it started working ok
Try again and I have sound.

Totally confused?

Oh just noticed a new folder Audio Temp created by the program

C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\X8 working Folder\AudioTmp
Regards Trevor
tanguero

Re: VideoStudio X8 Working Folders for Auto Music

Post by tanguero »

lata wrote: The third working folder is used by the Burner Module ...
OK, incorporated this information into my original post.
lata wrote: VSP Templates Folder

This is purely to hold users Instant Projects templates, it also includes 16 templates created when installing Boris Graffiti.
The Corel Guide -- Do More section has a lot of Instant Project Templates, I have not counted of late but approx. 100.
They are downloaded as an exe + html file and saved to here:-
C:\ProgramData\Corel\Downloads
Hmm, I am not seeing any of these:
- I've installed Boris Graffiti but my VSPTemplates folder is empty
- "Corel Guide - Do More section" I don't see this at all--where is this?
- C:\ProgramData\Corel\Downloads - I do not have a Program Data folder nor a Corel\Downloads folder (and my Application Data\Corel folders don't have anything like this either)
lata wrote: Like you I don’t want files on my pc that I don’t need? But yes I can delete if I wish.
I have tons of files on my PC I don't need, I'm sure! My problem is the random creation of new files being placed in random locations all over my PC (not just in folders that "belong to" the application). The random location is more the problem than the failure of the program to clean up after itself.
lata wrote: Well I am having a great time in testing the Auto Music, it seems to have a mind of its own.
That's probably a good summary, especially when it comes to leaving files all over the place.
lata wrote: No Sound
Sometimes I add an auto music clip to the timeline, yet no audio, Play selected song, no sound?
I can view in Sound Mixer to see the wav form, but that is flat, no audio.
I started making a list of the problem ones, then it started working ok
Try again and I have sound.
I noticed something similar when I used an audio FX effect (even one as simple as Normalize). When you play the Project, VS seems to recompile the audio (process the audio FX) EACH time. You'd think it would cache the audio if nothing had changed ... But that's not the main problem! The problem is that while it's processing the audio, it goes ahead and starts to play the video anyway (without sound)! Then when the audio processing is done, it starts playing the audio, but pauses the video until the audio catches up. Then it plays them both in sync again. It's totally bizarre behaviour, given that it saves you no time whatsoever, it keeps you being able to have audio and video synced during this time, and seems like it be more work to implement in this way! I suspect you're seeing something similar with the AutoMusic (the first time it was compiling, so no sound during that time, the second time it was playing back a compiled .wav so no problem). The correct implementation would be to display a message when you play the project "Processing audio FX" (or "Generating AutoMusic" or whatever) and then start playing only when this preprocessing completed.
lata
Site Admin

Re: VideoStudio X8 Working Folders + AutoMusic random temp f

Post by lata »

Hi

At the top of the library is an circle in orange, tool tip as Get More Content.
This accesses the Corel Guide the Do More tab allows downloading of additional templates.
Internet connection required.

I don’t understand why you do not have folders within VSPTemplates folder if you have installed graffiti.
I assume there is no Graffiti within the Instant Projects Library.

The no sound, was no sound, I added an Auto Music clip to the timeline, there was no audio content at all.
It appears to be working correctly now.

FX library, That’s another matter. yes after adding a filter I have had no sound whilst the FX is selected, not always? select the media at the top and it plays ok.
Regards Trevor
tanguero

Post by tanguero »

lata wrote: At the top of the library is an circle in orange, tool tip as Get More Content.
This accesses the Corel Guide the Do More tab allows downloading of additional templates.
Internet connection required.

I don’t understand why you do not have folders within VSPTemplates folder if you have installed graffiti.
I assume there is no Graffiti within the Instant Projects Library.
OK, thanks, found the "Get More Content." If I click on Download under each item, it always tells me "The download cannot be completed at this time.You can resume the download at any time by clicking the link in the update message. If you prefer, you can click the link below to download the update through your Web Browser. When the update file has finished downloading, double-click it to install the update." The link works fine to download the .exe install file though (I haven't tried installing any yet).

As for Graffiti, no, there is nothing that looks like a template that came from Graffiti in Instant Projects, just the various Corel ones with names like IP-xx. Graffiti FX, itself, however, seems to be installed just fine. Anyone else with X8 Ultimate missing this? Can you give me the filenames of some of these templates so I can see if it's somewhere in C:\Program Files\Boris FX, Inc ?

And there is nothing in my VSPPathStyle folder either, if that means anything.
asik1
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Post by asik1 »

I have 12 Boris's vsp's. I don't recall where I got them.
in X7 they are under \VSPTemplate\
But in X8 I placed them under \BORISfx\

** short anecdote, with the free Scorefitter we got a file with full hour of silence. I call it a bonus
tanguero

Post by tanguero »

asik1 wrote:I have 12 Boris's vsp's. I don't recall where I got them.
in X7 they are under \VSPTemplate\
But in X8 I placed them under \BORISfx\
Can you give me the names of your 12 files (or some of them at least) so I can search for them on my system?
asik1 wrote: ** short anecdote, with the free Scorefitter we got a file with full hour of silence. I call it a bonus
Yes, it's under New Age > Inspirational > Monastery ;-)
Perfect background music for pondering the value of 0/0, for example.
asik1

Post by asik1 »

search for Cylinder Spin.VSP or Star Wars.VSP

* :? I do have 16, but in X8 I C only 12... I need to reload them.

I don't have New Age > Inspirational > Monastery??
I referred to a 5.7Mb wav file.
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Guys

I have not installed any templates from Do-More
These were installed by Boris Graffiti There are 16 templates, the actual folders being here
C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro\VSPTemplate
click for larger image
click for larger image
Regards Trevor
tanguero

Post by tanguero »

lata wrote: These were installed by Boris Graffiti There are 16 templates, the actual folders being here
C:\Users\Trevor\Documents\Corel VideoStudio Pro\VSPTemplate
If I do a search, I find filenames that match your templates in C:\Program Files\Boris FX, Inc\Keyframe Libraries 6\Graffiti 6 Keyframe Library but with a .grf extension (which is registered in Windows as a "Boris.RED" file type (but without a program registered that is capable of opening it). But of course it's the .vsp templates that I'm looking for (which perhaps do not much more than invoke the corresponding effect, but it would still be nice to have). I'd have noticed if there were a hiccup during the installation process, but there was none.

By the way, I have all the categories within "Instant Project" that you show, except Graffiti and Instant Project (my General and Custom and empty, but the others have various templates).

Anyone else can confirm the absence or presence of these Graffiti Instant Project templates in a recent X8 Ultimate installation (not leftover from X7)? And how would I get them?

(P.S. asik1, my "New Age > Inspirational > Monastery" was just a joke for your 1 hour of blank "music"!)
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

I for one certainly have them, but I have no suggestion as to how you might get them. In all the circumstances, and against the background of your many recent posts, I am totally loath to suggest reinstalling the Bonus features again... :roll: :wink:
Ken Berry
asik1

Post by asik1 »

tanguero, you have to do it manually.
In instant projects add new folder Graffiti, into that import the projects. They are the VPT files you found as same VSP Boris names "dirctories".

The file that governs Instant projects is UserTemplateStyle.ini in the
....\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\en-US\UserTemplateStyle_Classic\ folder
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi Guys

The VSPTemplates folder is also used by X7 and maybe X6.
Any template folder within the VSPT should populate the library.

It is possible that X8 only provided 12, the extra 4 being provided by X7
Although I doubt that as the Graffiti is the same version. I think,

If you see a folder in the VSPFolder that does not show in the library use the Import a project templates option, the open folder icon at the top of the library to import a “vpt” file, from the VSPT Templates folder.

Otherwise backup your library
Reset the program
Import the library.
Is worth a try?

If that don’t work Re-Install the Ultimate Bonus file.
Regards Trevor
tanguero

Post by tanguero »

asik1 wrote:tanguero, you have to do it manually.
In instant projects add new folder Graffiti, into that import the projects. They are the VPT files you found as same VSP Boris names "dirctories".
The file that governs Instant projects is UserTemplateStyle.ini in the
....\Roaming\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro\18.0\en-US\UserTemplateStyle_Classic\ folder
OK, but the problem is that I don't have the files to import manually. The files I found are .grf files (Boris format) that presumably create the effect, not the .vpt nor .vps files (nor any reference to them in the .ini file). I searched the entire Corel and Boris installations and Application Data folders.
lata wrote: It is possible that X8 only provided 12, the extra 4 being provided by X7
Although I doubt that as the Graffiti is the same version. I think,
If you see a folder in the VSPFolder that does not show in the library use the Import a project templates option, the open folder icon at the top of the library to import a “vpt” file, from the VSPT Templates folder.
(It's Graffiti version 6 and the files are all dated from 2011.) My VSPTemplate folder is completely empty (though the IP tab has the default Corel IP templates) and I don't have any .vsp or .vst files on my system other that those that correspond to those Corel templates (and a handful of my own .vsp files). So doing anything to the library I don't think would help since the files are not there to start with (inside or outside the library).
lata wrote:If that doesn’t work Re-Install the Ultimate Bonus file.
I did a repair installation of Boris via Windows "Add Programs" which didn't restore the files, but it's possible it's in a separate part of the Ultimate Bonus installer than just copies various files. Corel support is looking into sending me the files. My only other guess is that the 32-bit 3Bonus installer might have inadvertently omitted these files, but the 64-bit one not, which could explain why some of you seem to have had them properly installed (asik1 seems to have a 32-bit system but doesn't remember where his Graffiti templates came from--X7 or X8). Since the 3Bonus installation worked glitch-free and all the other Bonus content seem properly installed, it seems a long shot that it discriminated just against the Graffiti templates, but if Corel doesn't support doesn't come through with the templates, it may be worth a try.