Tips, Tricks, and Results
slimmerplatypus
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Success opening Ricoh GR and Pentax Q DNGs in ASP

Post by slimmerplatypus »

Hi all,

I've recently bought AfterShot Pro, which is a very nice raw editor available in Linux.
I also recently ordered (yet not recieved) a Pentax Q as it seems to become decently priced now and seems to be a fun camera.

ASP does not however support the Pentax Q, so I fiddled around a bit with exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) and after some effort found that the following Exif modifications to the Pentax Q .dng produces a file that ASP is happy with:

Code: Select all

exiftool -DefaultCropSize="3998 2998" -DefaultCropOrigin="2 2" -makernotes:all= -make="Leica Camera AG" -model="M9 Digital Camera" pentax_q_42.dng
Leica was the only "Make" that seemed to work and is something to brag about when sending folks your .dng:files :lol:
The crop is needed since ASP seems to read from uninitialized memory and produces an ugly 256x256 pattern if not cropped at the borders.

I tried this on firmware 1.0 .dng files as I haven't recieved my camera yet.

I also tried some other .dng files to try to get them to work: Sigma DP1 did not, however Ricoh GR did :P
I only tested one Ricoh GR dng I found online; the crop argument does not seem to be needed.

Do you get this trick working for other brands?

Best regards
/Thomas