flahagan
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: Athlon II x2 260 3.20 GHz
ram: 4GB

Opinions on DVD labels?

Post by flahagan »

Everything I can pull up from internet searches is at least 3 or 4 years old, so I'm wondering if any of you label your DVD's.
From what I'm seeing, the answer is a definite "NO". However, I've been seeing these kits that look mighty enticing. How about DVD label burners?
2Dogs
Advisor

Just say no to disc labels!

Post by 2Dogs »

Any kind of stick-on label is a really bad idea for DVD's. The label can put the disc out of balance, which can lead to accelerated wear or damage to the DVD drive, as can any stray bits of paper or glue. Although the disc doesn't rotate that fast if you're just playing back a DVD, it can turn at a heck of a lick if you're copying data or video off it to your pc.

If you're not happy marking discs with a Sharpie, and want to achieve a more polished look, invest in an inkjet printer capable of printing on suitable discs.

I bought an HP5280 for that purpose, and it can produce great looking discs. I still mark up most of my discs with a Sharpie, however....
JVC GR-DV3000u Panasonic FZ8 VS 7SE Basic - X2
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

I can only endorse 2Dogs advice in the strongest terms. The paper labels mostly work with CDs, but even there can over time unbalance it. One of my own compilations of personal favourites now basically jumps all over the place as a result.

With DVDs, it is just not worth it. I bought a Cqanon i865 soon after it came onto the market several years ago. It does a marvellous job printing direct to printable discs (I use Acoustica CD Label Maker to do this). It has been a most reliable workhorse, and best of all does not use ink tanks (five of them) with those embedded chips which basically force you to buy Canon replacement tanks that cost almost as much as the printer.

That being said, there is a wide range of printers these days that can print direct to disc. And here in Australia, I pay around US$12 for 50 printable DVDs.
Ken Berry
Black Lab
operating_system: Windows 8

Post by Black Lab »

Just to play devils advocate, I used the adhesive labels on hundreds of DVDs and never had a problem that I am aware of.

With that said, about 2 years ago I bought an Epson printer that prints directly to disc, merely because I wanted a more professional look. I eventually upgraded to an Epson Stylus Photo RX595 all-in-one printer (prints, scans, prints to disc, etc.) and absolutely love it.

BTW, I still have the old printer (works fine) if anyone is interested. :wink:
flahagan
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: Athlon II x2 260 3.20 GHz
ram: 4GB

Post by flahagan »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Saved me from buying one of those kits that would have caused me nothing but headaches. Think I'll wait and get a new printer.
2Dogs
Advisor

Print Cartridges

Post by 2Dogs »

Ken Berry wrote:I bought a Cqanon i865 soon after it came onto the market several years ago. It does a marvellous job printing direct to printable discs (I use Acoustica CD Label Maker to do this). It has been a most reliable workhorse, and best of all does not use ink tanks (five of them) with those embedded chips which basically force you to buy Canon replacement tanks that cost almost as much as the printer.
For anyone who does have a printer with such cartridges - such as many Epsons, for example, you can get a "chip re-setter", usually available for a few bucks online, which you can use to tell the cartridge it's full again. It's amazing the lengths the manufacturers go to with their cartridges, in an effort to get people to buy new ones every time. With HP, you have to go thru a sequence of taping over some of the contacts in order to restore the estimated ink level display. I don't bother, and just weigh my cartridges on a gram scale.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

Thanks for that info -- I must look up to see whether those chip resetters are available here in Australia. Friends of mine bought a more recent Canon Pixma printer with the chipped tanks, and the Chinese substitute tanks come with instructions on a physical work-around involving removing the original Canon tank chips and applying them to the new tanks. But as you might expect, the English in the instructions is about as clear as ... well, the contents of the tanks!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
Ken Berry
2Dogs
Advisor

Chip resetter

Post by 2Dogs »

Here's a link to a UK site that has one for some Canon cartridges. Probably available in the US too.

http://www.laserdesigns.co.uk/canon_car ... etter.html
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

I keep waiting for my printer to die, so that I can buy one that prints directly on discs.

I've been using stick-on "Neato" labels on CDs since before I had a DVD player, and on DVDs since I've had a burner, without any major problems. The worst problem is that they don't stick well to printable DVDs/CDs.

If you read anything about the chemicals in the adhesive damaging the DVD, don't believe it! The data-layer on a DVD is in the middle of a polycarbonate sandwich.

CDs are different. The data-layer for a CD is on top (it reads through the entire thickness), so (in theory) the adhesive can damage the data. And, I may have damaged a CD by trying to remove a misaligned label. But, a paper label also adds a layer of protection which helps prevent the CD from being scratched from the top. (You can sandpaper the top of a DVD without hurting it, but the same thing will kill a CD.)
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
metmot
operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Asus M2N SLI
processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0 gh
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Nvidia Gforce 7300se
sound_card: Onboard PnP Sound Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1.7 TB

Post by metmot »

DVDDoug wrote:I keep waiting for my printer to die, so that I can buy one that prints directly on discs.

I've been using stick-on "Neato" labels on CDs since before I had a DVD player, and on DVDs since I've had a burner, without any major problems. The worst problem is that they don't stick well to printable DVDs/CDs.
I'm with Doug and Jeff on this one. I too have produced hundreds of DVD titles with stick on labels with zero problem. I guess if you play it over and over again the theory may hold true and in some cases bad things can happen.

Having said that, what's the best value in a direct DVD printing printer these days for a small operator? I would also like a more professional look. Ink cartridge cost is for sure a huge consideration.
John
Black Lab
operating_system: Windows 8

Post by Black Lab »

Having said that, what's the best value in a direct DVD printing printer these days for a small operator? I would also like a more professional look. Ink cartridge cost is for sure a huge consideration.
I can't remember the model # of the first Epson I had (R800 series ?), but it cost around $400 and produced beautiful discs. But it drank ink like crazy. I only used it for disc printing and had a separate printer for every other use.

Then my general use printer died. So as I was shopping at Staples I came across the RX595 all-in-one. It's fairly cheap to begin with and was on sale, so I got it for around $100. It was a no-brainer. The best part is it's output is great, but it doesn't consume nearly as much ink as the other one. I use this printer for everything.
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Post by Ken Berry »

I see that the Resetter mentioned above only appears to work with *refilled* Canon ink tanks that already have the chip. I was thinking more of substitute tanks...
Ken Berry
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

An alternative is the use of "LightScribe" You will need a lightscribe capable DVD Burner and Lightscribe discs.
What this does is to burn the label onto the "label side" of the disc - a sort of etching effect.

Click for a larger image.
alanball
motherboard: Dell OKWVT8 chipset Intel PCH Z87
processor: i7-4770 CPU 3.4Ghz
Video Card: AMD Radion TM R9 270
sound_card: Realtec High Definition
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS VN247
Corel programs: VS10, VS2018 Ultimate

Post by alanball »

Nice layout Steve, what programs did you use or that?
Alan Ball
bowana

Post by bowana »

sjj1805 wrote:An alternative is the use of "LightScribe" You will need a lightscribe capable DVD Burner and Lightscribe discs.
What this does is to burn the label onto the "label side" of the disc - a sort of etching effect.

Click for a larger image.
Ive got a lightscribe DVD burner on my newer HP pavilion Elite m9340f 64 bit, core 2 quad Q6700 but I cant figure out what program runs the lightscribe. Got any ideas ? ....LOL :roll: Ha ha
Nowhere to run ! ...Nowhere to hide !