Creating menu layout for a second title

TXRanger

Creating menu layout for a second title

Post by TXRanger »

I have DVD Workshop 2, and I just put together a DVD video (edited with VidioStudio 10). I am trying to figure out how to add an extra title (or chapter or whatever) that does not auto-play with the rest of the video, but one that you have to select. In this case it is a "deleted scenes" title in case people want to see the boring stuff that was edited out.

I want my DVD menu option to play all the chapters and then go back to the menu. When I do this with the main video being in 1 title, and the deleted scenes in a 2nd title, the "next" button on the DVD remote plays the next title (deleted scenes) instead of going to the next chapter. So I tried making it all one title, but I can't figure out how to make it go back to the menu before the "deleted scenes" chapter starts.

I am sure there is an easy way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Can anybody help?
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but you had it right the first time. You need two separate titles, because once you start a title playing, it will continue through all remaining chapters to the end of that title.

There may be something wrong with your playlists. For example, if the first thing on the playlist is chapter 1 of the main title, the 2nd thing on the playlist should be a menu, rather than the "deleted scenes" title.

---- Each menu-button has an associated playlist, and it works like this:

You select a menu-button. Control jumps to the playlist associated with that button.

If the first thing on the selected playlist is a title/chapter, the video starts playing. Control returns to the playlist at the end of that title.

If the first/next thing on the selected playlist is a menu, then control jumps to that menu. (I think you can only put a menu at the bottom of a playlist, because once you jump to a menu, the playlist looses control, and the new button/playlist selected from that menu takes-over control...)

--------------------------------------------
P.S.
I just made a DVD with a couple of outtake titles. There is a main menu, a couple of sub-menus, and a special "secret" outtake menu.

You can select the outtakes from one of the sub-menus, but the only way to see the special-outtake menu is to choose "Play All", and then wait (or skip) to the end of the main title. At that point, the special menu shows-up, and you have the option of playing the outtakes. The menu-timeout takes you back to the main menu so the outtakes don't play automatically when you choose 'Play All". Fun stuff!!!!
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

Regarding a special secret menu, you create a button and add to it a playlist. You then hide the button.

If you modify the play all button so that it has a playlist rather than "play all" you can leave that secret menu out. The only way anyone finds the secret menu is:

1. You let them know where to find the button such as press the down key on the DVD remote (or wherever you have hidden the button)
or
2. The stumble across it by accident.

These hidden buttons are termed "Easter Eggs" and quite a few of these exist in "Hollywood DVD's"
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

In my case, my menu isn't really "secret" like an Easter egg. That's why I put "secret" in quotes... It's just a special-purpose menu that you can't navagate directly-to from another menu.

It's just a way to re-confirm that the viewer really wants to watch the outtakes after pressing "Play All". With this particular DVD, I'm assuming the answer will usually be "no". (There are other ways to handle this, but that's how I chose to do it this time.)

And like I said, the viewer can navigate directly to the outtakes from another regular sub-menu... So, this special-menu doesn't give you access to anything secret. (It might be hard for the viewer to find that special menu... but they don't need to find it.)
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]