Question on Titles and Chapters

yugisama

Question on Titles and Chapters

Post by yugisama »

I'm very new at DVD Workshop 2 so forgive my ignorance.

What I want to do: I have 7 indiviual video files, that I would like to put onto a dvd. The person watching the DVD could either hit "play all" and watch each video file continuously and press "next" to see the next video file, or go to chapters @ the menu and select the video file individually.

What I did: So I imported all 7 video files as "titles" and made the menu like I described above. However, the problem I'm having is: When I press "next" on the dvd controller, nothing happens. It won't go to the next video file. I think it's because "next" only works for chapters and not titles? And instead of one big video file with individual chapters, I have 7 titles with no chapters. How do I fix this?
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

The person watching the DVD could either hit "play all" and watch each video file continuously ...
Make a "Play All" button, and link that button to a playlist that includes all titles.
...and press "next" to see the next video file, or go to chapters @ the menu and select the video file individually.
You can put an "extra" chapter-point at the end of each title. When you hit the >>| button on the remote, it will jump to the end of the title, control will return to the playlist, and the playlist will start playing the next title. (The end-of-title chapter-points, don't need a menu-button linked to them.)

Note that the |<< button won't return you to the previous title. :(

A playlist is always associated with a particular menu button. And, once you start a title it will continue to the end. It's only at the end of a title that program-control returns to the playlist. (You can't create a playlist that stops playback at the end of a chapter.)
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
yugisama

Post by yugisama »

Thanks for your reply. I've already added the play all option, and that is functioning as it should.

I understand your solution for adding an end point chapter (ie the 2nd to last frame) but, like you said it cannot use |<<

So the only solution to this would be, to use another program to join all 7 video files into 1 big file and import. Then separate those 7 into chapters? Then I should be able to do |<< and |>> to each individual video from a play all option?
DVDDoug

Post by DVDDoug »

So the only solution to this would be, to use another program to join all 7 video files into 1 big file and import. Then separate those 7 into chapters? Then I should be able to do |<< and |>> to each individual video from a play all option?
Right! You would use a video editing program (like Video Studio) to join the clips. Just remember that if you choose chapter 3 from the menu, the title will continue playing through chapters 4, 5, 6 & 7. If that is acceptable, then combining the clips is the best option.

It's usually only when you need the ability to play one title and then return to the menu that you need more than one title. (Or, if you need more than 99 chapters, you can split the program into multiple titles.)

Most DVDs have only one title. Many commercial DVD-movies have one title for the movie plus one more title for the "extra features". You usully have to go back to the menu to select one of the titles... In that case, there usually isn't a "Play All" button that plays both the movie and the special features.
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]