DVDWS Created DVDs causing player confusion...

Sportive

DVDWS Created DVDs causing player confusion...

Post by Sportive »

Hi,

I notice (with regret) that it looks like DVDWS will be no more, which is a huge shame but won't stop me from continuing to use it. I can live with 4:3 menus (which is the only thing I'd have like to see sorted) but my new DVD player (Pioneer AV600) seems to get confused by the fact that menus are in 4:3 and the rest of the source is in 16:9.

I have the player set to display 16:9 by default so if it encounters 4:3, it will just stretch it and I can decide to "unstretch it" on my TV. However with all the DVDs burned with DVDWS, the setting seems to get overidden and up pop the menus in 4:3. Once this has happened any 4:3 footage is also displayed in this way...

I have tested with commercial 4:3 DVDs and I can't replicate the problem so it must be something DVDWS is doing.... any ideas what?
Devil

Post by Devil »

I would just play around with the A/R settings of BOTH the player and the TV until you get what you want. It took me some time to set mine up, as I have 3 choices in one and 4 in the other.

What's the problem in having 4:3 footage playing in 4:3? That I don't understand.

If you are wanting to know what is happening, I can say it is complex and this is why you can get different results with different DVDs. Each block of data has a header with several layers The first one is the Sequence header and this governs things like picture size, frame rate, bitrate, aspect ratio etc. The AR is a 4 bit code for the display aspect ratio (DAR) at 0010 for 4:3, 0011 for 16:9 and 0100 for 2.21:1. The sample aspect ratio (SAR) is normally the DARx H/V, if an optional Sequence display extension (SDE) is not present. However, if the extension is present, the DisplayH/V sizes are encoded with two 14 bit binary numbers and the SAR becomes DARxDisplayH/V. This defines the active region of the display, allowing letterboxing and oversizing. The header data that the TV needs to know is sent from the player to the TV and the latter has to interpret it correctly for both when the SDE is present or not. That is why you may have to fiddle with the TV menu and the player one.
[b][i][color=red]Devil[/color][/i][/b]

[size=84]P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.[/size]
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP
operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Post by skier-hughes »

Hiya Sportive,
How you keeping.

Check out the "how to" for WS making widescreen menu's.

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=12880

and have 16.9 menu's and forget your problem.

See you on the slopes!!

Graham
Sportive

Post by Sportive »

Devil wrote: What's the problem in having 4:3 footage playing in 4:3? That I don't understand.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! There is no problem with 4:3 footage being watched in 4:3 but it is just easier for me to leave the DVD player set to 16:9 (wide) and only have to change one device (i.e. the TV) when I want to do so. It just makes things easier the way my remotes are set up!
Sportive

Post by Sportive »

skier-hughes wrote:Hiya Sportive,
How you keeping.

Check out the "how to" for WS making widescreen menu's.

http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=12880

and have 16.9 menu's and forget your problem.

See you on the slopes!!

Graham
Hi Graham,

How am I keeping? Very busy it would seem!

I have tinkered with making 16:9 menus using some of the workarounds discussed over the years but when I then tried to use the DVD on a 4:3 display (yes I still have one of those for testing purposes) all the highlight/link areas were wrong. Although I think that was pre the link you suggest above, which I did have a brief read through this morning...

I'll be on the slopes if I ever get there (i.e. BAA strike the day before we go!). I'll be in touch....
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP
operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Post by skier-hughes »

I've used the linked one several times and it works for me.

We should be in France early March as usual :wink:
Sportive

Post by Sportive »

Perhaps someone clever can explain this?

"All movies in one VTS must have similar properties: the same frame size (720x480 for example), the same aspect ratio (4:3 for example) and also the same type of audio format (AC3 for example).

If you want to add videos to your DVD that have different properties - for example, typically different aspect ratios - one is Full Screen (4:3) and the other Widescreen (16:9) - then you have to make at least two Video Title Sets and place each of the movies in its own VTS."

This implies that you should not have a mixture on one DVD unless the authoring software can specifically deal with multiple VTSs. How does DVDWS deal with this? Perhaps this could be the one of the issues and my new player is just being strict in terms of what it is supposed to find. Could DVDWS in fact be creating "rogue" DVDs by allowing the use of 4:3 menus, 4:3 footage & 16:9 footage in the same VTS?
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

I believe DWS2.x automatically figures out if it needs to create a MultiVTS DVD (when you have compliant videos, and do not want to re-encode them).

Regards,
George
Sportive

Post by Sportive »

Thanks, it was just a thought!