Attention: H.T.

rwernyei

Attention: H.T.

Post by rwernyei »

It has come to our attention that Corel now lists COOL3D Production Studio on their website. Does this mean that there will be a future release? If so, are the Bryce software engineers still employed by Corel or did they move to DAZ? I am hoping that the integration of Bryce features along with COOL3D PS simple interface would be an innovative and outstanding product. Multiple cameras, tracking, raytracing, volumetric lighting, scripting, various leading 3D support (Poser, etc...) and much more. Also by keeping COOL3D's native project format makes for full integration with their non-linear editor products line. Most leading 3D softwares come with huge learning curves, if one could find a sweet spot with minimal learning curve and pro-end features at an affordable price, they've got a product that will SELL...SELL...SELL...

We may need to start a post on what future enhancements the users would like to see in a new release. I'm sure it would be quite a popular and lengthy thread.
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Re: Attention: H.T.

Post by sjj1805 »

rwernyei wrote:.......We may need to start a post on what future enhancements the users would like to see in a new release. I'm sure it would be quite a popular and lengthy thread.
Robert,
Why not start a wish list sticky, who knows it may kick start the people in the dream factory.
rwernyei

Post by rwernyei »

Steve,
That's a great idea but first I want to hear from H.T. if the product indeed has a future. Otherwise, it would be a waste of our time, forum space, effort, etc...
MrA

Post by MrA »

With all the listings of software on Corel, my guess, and I am not trying to be negative, is, it's an imbeded, already there, just a link to Ulead.com kind of situation. I forget what the technical term is, but, browsing one web site, through another, kind of situation. Think has something to do with frames..
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Cool 3D PS is mostly already a great product and I'd only want a few changes to be happy...

* Movable camera (I have having to move the object, it screws up lighting, I want to move the camera)
* Export PNG images with transparent background
* Render the alpha channel for a video overlay to a seperate file
* Shadows
* Better support for .3DS and .X objects

If I had those things, I could eliminate a couple of other tools entirely and do much better animations.
htchien
Advisor
operating_system: Mac
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Post by htchien »

Hi,

I cannot comment on the future of any Ulead products now because I'm not a Ulead employee anymore (I think I've said that in this January already?).

I could only say there is no relationship between Bryce and COOL 3D. Bryce is now a DAZ product.

Regards.
Ted (H.T.)

[color=red]The message is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights. For official tech support please contact Corel Tech Support.[/color]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/htchien]My YouTube channel[/url]
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Unless a company has a new product or new version of a product imminant, they will NEVER discuss the future of any product. To do so would undermine the current product.

Even if they know the information in advance, as soon as a company acknowledges that a product is end-of-life, the sales stop. As soon as they announce that a new version is in the works, sales stop (people wait for the new version).

Companies like Microsoft can get away with it with products that are "required" like the Windows OS and Office. And by announcing future features, they can sometimes prevent people from jumping ship to a "currently" better product.

As for Cool 3D, the current rumour is that as it stands, it's end-of-life. I stress that this is only a rumour I heard from a Corel employee that I know. Apparently sales of Cool 3D have been lackluster. Of course, the lack of any real documentation and support can account for that. Had Ulead thrown any kind of support behind the product to offer MANY more tutorials and such, it probably would be more popular.

Supposedly Corel is going to release a product near Christmas called "Corel 3D" that has elements from various programs, including Cool 3D. One main difference is that Corel has already signed up a couple of authors to write 3rd-party books for the product.

Again, it's all rumour. But it makes sense to me given how things have gone.
rwernyei

Post by rwernyei »

Dave,
Thanks for the inside scoop on the "Corel 3D" product and projected release time. Due to corporate mergers and with all the Corel engineers for Bryce gone to DAZ and H.T. who moderates and helped create COOL3D not be working on this new 3D software, makes you wonder how the product will be? As I stated in my starting post, I was hoping Corel/Ulead would really kick it up a notch and try to make an impact in the 3D market with this new release. One can only see. Unfortunately, I fear it won't be worth the wait.
htchien
Advisor

Post by htchien »

Hi,
dnavarrojr wrote:Apparently sales of Cool 3D have been lackluster. Of course, the lack of any real documentation and support can account for that. Had Ulead thrown any kind of support behind the product to offer MANY more tutorials and such, it probably would be more popular.
The sales of COOL 3D is still good, according to what I've known.

Documentation? If you are talking about tutorials for COOL 3D, then maybe I could help.

I'm just a developer who had joined the development of COOL 3D. What I can do now is to offer some helps (maybe tutorials) for it, from a core developers' perspective, since I've left the company already.
dnavarrojr wrote:Supposedly Corel is going to release a product near Christmas called "Corel 3D" that has elements from various programs, including Cool 3D. One main difference is that Corel has already signed up a couple of authors to write 3rd-party books for the product.

Again, it's all rumour. But it makes sense to me given how things have gone.
I think this might be just a rumor, but there is a possibility....It's their call to do it or not.

Regards,
Ted (H.T.)

[color=red]The message is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights. For official tech support please contact Corel Tech Support.[/color]

dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

I'm certainly not going to claim anything as fact. It's only something I heard from someone who works at Corel. But they could be wrong and people can change their minds at any time.

In "my opinion", the biggest problem with Cool 3D is that while it is powerful and you can do a lot with it, if you know HOW, there is little in the way of "how to" documentation and tutorials available. Now that I have some essentials down, I find that I can spend an hour or several fiddling with something to figure out how it works. Not always a good use of my time.

My next problem with it is that there are a few "key features" missing that would allow me to be more productive with it. The ability to move the camera instead of the object is critical to keep objects properly lighted (unless you spend hours messing with the lighting as well for each keyframe). I'm baffled why this was never changed throughout all the versions.

Overall, I personally love Cool 3D and it's allowed me to do some really great things that have impressed my clients. The overall easy to use interface for me is what truly sets it apart from all the other 3D apps. I bought 3D Studio and I can't figure a darn thing out in it. All I've been able to do successfully with it is get 3DS objects that I had problems importing into Cool 3D exported to .X files that I have been able to successfully import. I've tried to re-create a few Cool 3D projects in 3DS and I haven't come close. The 3D Studio interface is just too complicated and I don't have the time to learn it.

In any case, I truly hope *someone* continues development with Cool 3D, whether it's Corel or they abandon it and someone like yourself takes it on. I think with just a few more key features (mentioned in earlier posts), it would have a wider appeal and be able to take on the big boys fairly well.
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

There is a good training video which is rather good value for money and not very expensive. Please view
cool 3d dvd on sale

Also we have our Tutorial Forums
Video Tutorials
htchien
Advisor

Post by htchien »

dnavarrojr wrote:I'm certainly not going to claim anything as fact. It's only something I heard from someone who works at Corel. But they could be wrong and people can change their minds at any time.
I could not comment on this now, maybe later. :)
dnavarrojr wrote:In "my opinion", the biggest problem with Cool 3D is that while it is powerful and you can do a lot with it, if you know HOW, there is little in the way of "how to" documentation and tutorials available. Now that I have some essentials down, I find that I can spend an hour or several fiddling with something to figure out how it works. Not always a good use of my time.
Maybe what Steve suggested could help you. That training DVD is a good start for COOL 3D users.

You could also contact Max-UK at the Mad Goner forum ( http://www.themadgoner.com ) or Popov Vladmir at http://uhaiun.livejournal.com/103909.html for help. They are both power users of COOL 3D and made lots of great C3D projects.

If you look at the Mad Goner site more closely, you will see some of the site images are made by COOL 3D.
dnavarrojr wrote:In any case, I truly hope *someone* continues development with Cool 3D, whether it's Corel or they abandon it and someone like yourself takes it on. I think with just a few more key features (mentioned in earlier posts), it would have a wider appeal and be able to take on the big boys fairly well.
I could not do it if Corel still owns the product, unless Corel agree that I could do it.

Will Corel continue the development of COOL 3D? Well, it's another question and only Corel can answer.

Regards
Ted (H.T.)

dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

sjj1805 wrote:There is a good training video which is rather good value for money and not very expensive. Please view
cool 3d dvd on sale
Apparently, they dropped it because it's no longer listed on their site and a search for it only comes up with tutorials. Still, might be worth it to subscribe for access to their tutorials.
sjj1805 wrote:Also we have our Tutorial Forums
Video Tutorials
I've been through all of them and none of them address issues that I'm having with C3DPS.

Also, if you go to the resources section for C3DPS on the main Ulead site, almost 90% of the external sites are gone. Most of the links no longer work.
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

htchien wrote:I could not do it if Corel still owns the product, unless Corel agree that I could do it.

Will Corel continue the development of COOL 3D? Well, it's another question and only Corel can answer.
I understand. If Corel decides to drop it, I hope somehow you'll be notified or find out.

Many, many, MANY years ago I worked for Borland. When they decided to abandon one of their products, they turned the rights to it over to the primary developer for that product. He has since continued the product and it has thrived. Some times it just takes proper vision.

I'll check out the resources you mentioned. However, the russian guy has abandoned his web site. The links are no longer working. Haven't been for months (I try again every week).
Ron P.
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

They have dropped it. I had mentioned it, and posted direct links to the DVD tutorial done by Travis White. I checked using those links, and they lead to a dead end now. Too bad because it is a good DVD tutorial. It looks like Ulead also dropped it.

However I done a quick search on Google and came up with this link..

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id=08 ... e72b4beb0a

Might try it..
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator