.3ds ?

rs02931

.3ds ?

Post by rs02931 »

not very knowlegeable when it comes to c3dps. Use it mosly for titling. Am I correct in understanding what I'm reading in this forum - ALL .3ds is NOT created equal???? I've downloaded a few .3ds objects (paid objects) from turbosquid, after unzipping some work some don't. Is there a way to rell in advance from those websites which will work and which won't???? I also have ordered: Right Hemisphere: Deep Exploration 4.0 Standard Edition (Electronic Software Download) Which was ONLY $29.00 at academic superstore if you can qualify for an educational discount - This product will allow me to be able to use these downloaded objects I HOPE.

Thanks,
Bob
rwernyei

Post by rwernyei »

In the terms of not all .3DS created equal applies to the way the software or artist packages its final output. Backward compatability is a problem within all software. In COOL3D, if your downloaded .3DS model came with texture and that is the way you want it, use the D3D Data Type upon import step. Also, COOL3D is very particular about needing to see the texture image files in the same folder as your 3ds model file.

As for Deep Exploration, I wrote this in a post awhile back.

From experience, when importing .3DS models into COOL3D PS, one cannot manipulate the pieces. Using a program like Deep Exploration allows you to unpackage the model so you can save and import desired parts separately for any additional manipulation within COOL3D. I would suggest going this route with any complex 3D model.

Hope this helps.
rs02931

.3ds ?

Post by rs02931 »

It did come with textures, but even if i check the d3d data type I still get same "unable to import file error message."

after I unzipped it and open the folder I have the following :a file called "toys 3DS file - and a Projects folder which contains folder called "projects" which when opened has a folder called "turbosquid" which opens to 4 other folders called "babyblocks", "jigsawmap", "toycollection", "crayon" these 4
i believe contain the textures for the various objects in the set.

Thanks for any help .
Bob
BuZZarD

Post by BuZZarD »

I've had similar issues, but found if I load it into deep exploration first, fiddle with the settings and then save it out again, it usually works.

I've also had examples where the 3ds object has appeared fine in DE but when loaded into cool3D has turned itself inside out.

I'm not sure, but I had the object and the textures in the same root folder when importing. Probably makes no difference though.
TomDM

Post by TomDM »

BuZZarD wrote:I've had similar issues, but found if I load it into deep exploration first, fiddle with the settings and then save it out again, it usually works.

I've also had examples where the 3ds object has appeared fine in DE but when loaded into cool3D has turned itself inside out.

I'm not sure, but I had the object and the textures in the same root folder when importing. Probably makes no difference though.
LithUnwrap migh also be used to reset the settings before importing into Cool 3D.
AlvA

Post by AlvA »

Hi,
I have a problem with a model. I can't import it. It has the .3ds end. But I couldn't add it, so I used LithUnwrap and saved it again without changing anything. After that I could add it but when I import it (with d3d and without scale to proper size) there was a huge ball and the camera was in the ball. The ball has holes and I can look through it and see the 20th century fox model but it¡¬s way to far from the camera. What should I do?

I upload both files. That model which you can add without changing anything and that one which is the primary-model.

primary-model: http://alva.beeven.de/20thCenturyFox.3ds
and my edited version: http://alva.beeven.de/20thCenturyFox_u.3ds

I know that the author may don't like it that I uploaded it at my page but I hope he has comprehension with me. :lol:

AlvA
AlvA

Post by AlvA »

Can maybe someone edit the "20th century fox model" with Deep Exploration because I would like to change the font?
That would be very nice :D
rwernyei

Post by rwernyei »

AlvA,
One of our members (Ken Lowther) created the 20th Century Fox fanfare in COOL3D Studio awhile back. It is fully compatible with both versions COOL3D Studio 1.0.1 and COOL3D Production Studio. One can easily edit the text for his/her project.

Here it is.
http://www.videographics.info/joomla/in ... einfo&id=3

Hope this helps.