Arg! Frustration...

dnavarrojr

Arg! Frustration...

Post by dnavarrojr »

I have been messing with this for two days in C3DPS and I can not get the pivot point to the correct location for opening/closing the laptop.

Can someone please point out how to move the pivot point of an object?

Thanks!

http://www.jancraft.org/dave/laptop.c3d
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Nevermind... You use the Free Transform tool when you are messing with DirectX objects.

It sure would be nice if this info was in a tutorial or in the help files.
Wolfy215

Post by Wolfy215 »

you made the laptop open, which is great don'ut get me wrong. to be helpful to other membeers could you post it (like the other one or instead)
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Wolfy215 wrote:you made the laptop open, which is great don'ut get me wrong. to be helpful to other membeers could you post it (like the other one or instead)
I replaced the broken one with an animation of the laptop opening. Same link:

http://www.jancraft.org/dave/laptop.c3d

I also uploaded a baby block I made for a video. It's a group object, so you can change the letters, colors, etc.

http://www.jancraft.org/dave/baby_block_ani.c3d
Wolfy215

Post by Wolfy215 »

thank you very much,, i can't get into edit, how did you do it?
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Wolfy215 wrote:thank you very much,, i can't get into edit, how did you do it?
Which one, what are you trying to do?
Wolfy215

Post by Wolfy215 »

I'M SORRY, THE LAPTOP
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Wolfy215 wrote:thank you very much,, i can't get into edit, how did you do it?
I'm still confused. What are you trying to do with the laptop?
Wolfy215

Post by Wolfy215 »

Before you kindly gave the opening laptop,I tried to figure it out. Viking said you have to go into edit, I can¡¦t get into edit. You mentioned the freeform tool, I¡¦m lost with that tool. Even though I have the laptop, I would still like to know how to move the pivot point?
dnavarrojr

Post by dnavarrojr »

Wolfy215 wrote:Before you kindly gave the opening laptop,I tried to figure it out. Viking said you have to go into edit, I can¡¦t get into edit. You mentioned the freeform tool, I¡¦m lost with that tool. Even though I have the laptop, I would still like to know how to move the pivot point?
Gotcha, now I understand.

Okay, if you open up the laptop example, turn on the "object manager". In the object manager, select the "top" object.

Once that is selected, in the "object" menu, select "Freeform".

You should now see the top of the laptop. You should also see a convergence of arrows. At the center is small ball (click on wireframe if you can't see the ball). That ball is your pivot point. Under "Transform" on the right, select "move" and one of the 3 dimensions (x, y or z). Under selection, select "All" and then use your mouse to move the top of the laptop around the selected axis.

Move the object so that the bottom edge lines up with the "ball" and now you've set the pivot point to the bottom edge. It's that simple.