Make a selected color transparent in all objects in GA-5

GIF Animator, SmartSaver Pro, Plugins, Applets....
djacob7

Make a selected color transparent in all objects in GA-5

Post by djacob7 »

Is it possible to make a selected color transparent in all objects at once?
In GA-2 it can be done so I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it can't be done in GA-5.
VikingAnimations
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3-7 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Corel programs: Ulead GIF Animator 5.05, MotionStudio 3D

Post by VikingAnimations »

A selected area, yes.

A selected color, sort of... When you save the animation in GIF format, you will note on the Save dialog box that there is a little box there called "Open in Index Editor." Click there to get check this option.

Once you save your file, you get the Index Editor...

Click the Transparent Index box at the bottom, and select the color you want to be transparent. Then click the button with the wee blue arrow down at the bottom to have the transparent index applied to all images (frames).

Preview if you like, then save.

Note that you may not get a smooth result, as there is no anti-aliasing at work here, and no background matte is applied. Thus, be prepared for "jaggies" on the edges of the image.

Image Image

If you just want to get rid of a background color, the method that may result in a smoother look would be to use the Magic Wand and delete the background in each object. This may be more work, of course...
djacob7

Post by djacob7 »

Hi Viking,
Your explanation seems flawless and I followed it throught, but still couldn't get the selected color to be transparent.
I'm surprised that they don't provide an eye dropper to select the desired transparent color; you have to guess which is the right one.
Is there any way I can send you the original, opaque gif file that I'm working on?
VikingAnimations
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3-7 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Corel programs: Ulead GIF Animator 5.05, MotionStudio 3D

Post by VikingAnimations »

Well, you could use that Eyedropper to note the RGB or HEX values of the background, and then hunt for that in the Index Editor.

It may be that when you optimize the image, you have to turn the transparency off in the Optimization tab. Image If that button is active, click it to turn it off.

Failing that, my email address is right at the bottom there...