Accurately position text

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

NEDDY39

Accurately position text

Post by NEDDY39 »

I wish to accurately position multiple texts on the same image, being familiar with PhotoImpact on a right click you could enter the measurement with absolute precision.
Say an image where you wanted text at say 1"(25mm) down from the top and 1"(25mm) in from the left and right edges and the same distance up from the bottom.
red boxes - 1.png
is this possible in PaintShop Pro 2022, if so how.
Thanking all in anticipation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radim
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 4GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 27 inch

Re: Accurately position text

Post by Radim »

One way is to create horisontal/vertical guide lines and switch on snap to them.
https://imgur.com/a/YY5xdST
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Post by LeviFiction »

There is no direct comparison in PSP. They don't really focus on the illustration design features. But there are ways to get there.

First, the closest we have is the pick tool but it only lets you set start and end points and in pixels only. The math to figure out pixels from inches is easy. But the second biggest issue, you can't use those features on vectors. Only rasters. You can, however, use Objects -> Align menu to align a vector to a raster. So if you had a raster, you could align it with the pick tool, then grab your text layer and align it to the raster layer.

Second, Guides or Grid. As Radim says you can snap to guides and grids. Grids you can set to have so many grid lines every so often in inches, cm, or pixels. Which might help. With Guides you need to turn on rulers and get the guide as close as you can, or once you've dragged the guide onto the canvas, you can double click the end of it to change it's location by pixels. Again, calculate the pixel and you can directly set the guide where you want it. Then you can easily snap to the guide anywhere you want.

Third, scripts. I don't know of any script that will position or resize an item by a precise size but I don't think it would be very hard. There are several scripts for making guide creation easier here on the forums to let you do the second option I mentioned above.

If you can get me either a manual page explaining the method from PhotoImpact or a youtube video showing off the options it might be possible to replicate it in script for you.
NEDDY39

Post by NEDDY39 »

I found this in the Ulead PHOTOIMPACT 11 User Manual — Setting An Object's Properties; Editing Objects; Using Defringe.

The bottom line is really what it is all about. Right-click an object and select Properties, that dialog box pops up, I have added a green rectangle to the original diagram, right clicked, selected properties and then screen captured, and uploaded, trouble is i cannot find the original manual. another advantage is the user can very easily alter the aspect ratio of any selection.

Setting an object's properties
Setting Object Properties lets you further specify the attributes of image, text
and path objects as well as Web component objects. Different options are
available, depending on what type of object is selected.
You can change an object's name, size and position, set its transparency, merge
attributes, specify its position and dimensions, and assign an image map (when
the selected item is a normal object) or a hyperlink (when the selected item is a
Web object) to it. You can change an object's properties by using any of the
following methods:
• In the Layer Manager, double-click a property item (size, position, or object
name) to directly change its value.
• Select Object: Properties.
• Right-click an object and select Properties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Post by LeviFiction »

Just to clarify, is position always in pixels, or do the position boxes also change when you change the "unit" drop-down?
NEDDY39

Post by NEDDY39 »

I hope I understand the forum rules and that this answer reveals all, it appears as though you are putting a lot of effort into answering my problem which is very much appreciated.
In the first image there is text on the young girl’s throat, right click that object (the text) and the dialogue box shown in the image (First Picture Tess) appears,
First Picture Tess.png
At the bottom of that dialogue box is “Properties”.
Click properties and the image (Second Picture) appears,
Second Picture.png
There are three tabs, GENERAL, POSITION and SIZE and the third tab IMAGE MAP.
The General Tab image is titled (Second Picture) .
And appears above.
The second tab (POSITION and SIZE) is shown here as two pictures, the images are
“Third Picture (Pixels)” and “Third Picture (Percent)”
The image below is “Third Picture (Pixels)”
Third Picture (Pixels).png
On selecting the units option the choice is either Pixels (the default) or Percent
The Third Picture (Percent). Is shown below.
Third Picture (Percent).png
On the third tab IMAGE MAP is the image shown in Fourth Picture
I cannot upload this picture, mavbe exceeded the volume or the number
NEDDY39

Post by NEDDY39 »

Final picture
On the third tab IMAGE MAP is the image shown in Fourth Picture
Fourth Picture.png
I appreciate that you are assisting me,