ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel UHD Graphics 600
sound_card: present - type not known
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 868 GB free space
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS R565M Notebook PC
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2022

Can PSP draw parallel lines?

Post by johnhenry88D »

I intend to draw a series of broken parallel lines (see Attachment) to separate lines of text. Does PSP have that functionality, and if so, how is it referred to?
3 lines.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeviFiction
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: Can PSP draw parallel lines?

Post by LeviFiction »

PSP can draw lines, and you can move them to be parallel.

I recommend using the Pen tool. It's a vector tool that lets you draw both straight and curved lines. You can easily create a straight line, duplicate it, and then move it up or down to create a parallel line. You can also choose to use Line Styles to create a staggered line effect. If you intend to use it as a consistent shape that you use regularly, you can also export it as a vector shape. Or you can convert it to a raster image and use it as a paint brush head to quickly stamp it into place. To make things easier you will make use of modifier keys like SHIFT, and CTRL to limit the movement of your lines.

And yes, I am going to over complicate the instructions, but they're really very easy.

1) Grab the Pen tool, and set an initial foreground color (the color of any lines/strokes in vectors) You might want to also set the line width, but this can be changed at any time if it's too thin.
2) Make sure on the tool options palette that you have three checkboxes "Create On Vector", "Connect Segments" and "Show Nodes" are all checked. This will help make things easier.
3) On the Tool Options Palette under the "Mode" heading you'll see 5 modes: From Left to Right - Edit Mode, Knife Mode, Lines/Polylines, Point to point Bezier, Freehand. You want the Lines/Polylines. Hopefully this is selected by default, but always good to double check. This will ensure straight lines, not curved ones.
3) Click on the canvas where you want the middle line to start.
4) Hold SHIFT and Click an drag near where you want the line to end. PSP will ensure the line gets constrained to a straight line.
5) Let go, you now have a vector line.
6) Select "Edit Mode" from the tool options, and hit CTRL + A to select both nodes quickly.
7) You can move the line by using the Arrow keys on your keyboard. A single press of an arrow key will move the lines 1 pixel. If you hold CTRL while arrowing the line it'll jump 10 pixels in any direction you choose. If you hold the SHIFT key it'll jump 50 pixels. If you hold Ctrl + Shift it'll jump 100 pixels.

Creating the broken staggered lines. You have several options, one is to use Line Styles. You'll see it as an option on the Tool Options palette. If none of the default ones give you what you want, you can choose Custom and edit the values to create what you want. I don't do this often enough to guide on their usage. They're also a little hard to control. What looks good in the style editor might look terrible on the canvas requiring a lot of trial and error or figuring out how long you want each segment to be.

The other option is to manually beak the line into pieces by adding nodes and deleting line segments.

If you want to use layer styles, you will want to first duplicate the vector shape you just made and use the pick tool to move it (with arrow keys) into its new parallel line position. You wan tto duplicate the vector shape because each shape can only have one line style. So you need a different shape for each of the there lines to use the line style method.

If you want to manually break up the lines, that can be done in a single shape. I'll describe that option below.

1) First on the tool options palette select the Edit Mode and hit CTRL + A to select both nodes in the line just like you did before.
2) Go back to the Tool Options palette and look for the area labeled "Duplicate". Change the X value to 0. This value moves the new line in the shape left and right. We don't want to do that. I also recommend setting Y to 0 but you can choose for yourself. I like to start at zero so that I don't have to guess at how far I need to move the line. Then hit the checkmark directly next to those two boxes. This creates a duplicate line. Use the Arrow keys to move it into position, keeping track of how far you've moved it.
3) Go back to the Duplicate number boxes and set the Y to be double what you just moved it. Negative numbers move up, positive numbers move down. We double it to jump it over the middle line and keep the distance equal between all three lines. Hit the checkmark and you should now have exactly three parallel lines. Now to break them up.

4) Select Poly line mode again, and hover over one of the lines. Hold the CTRL key and the mouse cursor should cahange to a cross-hairs with the word "Add " under neath it. This will let you add a node to the line. You want a node at the beginning and end of each segment you want to make. And you want another node in the middle of two segments wherever you want there to be a blank space. You'll be deleting these ones soon.
5) Now delete the nodes that represent the middle of a blank segment. The line should disappear between it and the nodes it's connected to. The end result should be several broken lines where you want the segments to be.

Now you have three lines, with staggered offset lines on top and bottom. Like this one here.
lines.png
From here you can either go File->Export->Shape. Give it a name you can recognize, and easily re-add the shape using the Preset Shape tool. Which will also always be a vector so it's changeable. Or you can convert it to a raster and File -> Export -> Custom Brush to export it as a paint brush which lets you stamp it on a raster layer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnhenry88D
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: not listed in system info
processor: Intel Celeron N4020 CPU 1 10Ghz
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Intel UHD Graphics 600
sound_card: present - type not known
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 868 GB free space
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS R565M Notebook PC
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2022

Re: Can PSP draw parallel lines?

Post by johnhenry88D »

Levi,

Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate you going the extra mile to explain this so thoroughly, this is exactly what I was looking for.