Restore Videostudio 2020 projects after hard drive crash?

Moderator: Ken Berry

jmayocpa
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: Videostudio Pro 2020

Restore Videostudio 2020 projects after hard drive crash?

Post by jmayocpa »

My hard drive crashed. I replaced the hard drive, re-downloaded & reinstalled Corel Videostudio, and restored the Corel Videostudio My Projects folder from a previous backup.

When I try to open my old projects I get an error message about the need to relink to images. When I try to do so it says "not found".

Not sure how the software works. Seems to be trying to link to my old content (jpegs & mp4s), but because of the crash, I'm sure those aren't in the same location.

Have I lost it all?? Hundreds of hours into these unfinished projects, including one that's been going on for more than a year.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Running Windows 10 - Corel Videostudio pro 2020 23.3.0.646 64bit

THanks!!
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 11
motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ram: 32 GB DDR4
Video Card: AMD RX 6600 XT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2021; PSP 2022; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW2021

Re: Restore Videostudio 2020 projects after hard drive crash?

Post by Ken Berry »

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, though, Video Studio project files -- the ones with the .vsp extension -- contain no video. They are in reality simple and small text files which tell Video Studio what videos and images are in the project, where they are located, and what editing has been done to them. The important bit for you is where the videos are now located. Were they on a separate hard disc originally before your main hard drive crashed? Or were they on that drive? If the latter, and there is no way of rescuing the files off the crashed disc using third party rescue software, then I am afraid you are in serious trouble, and you would have to restart everything again.

But if they were on an external disc, then you just need to connect that disc, when you get the relink message you just browse to the relevant folder on that disc and relink the named missing file. This will usually result in the other files in the project being relinked at the same time if they are all in the same folder. Otherwise, you just move on to another folder which contains the next unlinked file.
Ken Berry
pepegota
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z390-Plus
processor: Intel i9 - 9900k
ram: 64 GB
Video Card: GTX 1660 6GB
sound_card: On board sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Ben Q, "21" LCD
Corel programs: VS 2018, VS 2019, VS 2020

Post by pepegota »

If you had a backup image you could restore it to the new drive assuming it is the same type. Backups always save the day.
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 3080
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4,X5,X6,X7,X8,X9,X10,2018,2019,2021

Post by tletter »

jmayocpa wrote: My hard drive crashed ... restored the Corel Videostudio My Projects folder from a previous backup ... Any help or guidance appreciated
You need to gain access to the source files that you used when creating your VSP, so some suggestions in order:
  1. Does your backup include the source files that you used when creating your VSP?
  2. Connect the HDD that crashed to your system and use data recovery software to see if the source files can be recovered.
  3. If you have a rendered copy of your project then you should be able to extract missing clips from it.
tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter