legepe
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: PSP2022

Cannot save to jpeg for decent quality

Post by legepe »

Hi everyone
I am struggling to save copies of my work to jpeg image and keep any type of decent quality
I am using File/Save for Office and playing with the settings but nothing works
I need these pics to put onto website
Can anyone please advise what could be wrong?
Thanks
legepe
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: Cannot save to jpeg for decent quality

Post by LeviFiction »

For office is Microsoft Office. Just use save as and set the compression low.
legepe

Post by legepe »

Not sure what you mean by microsoft office?.. Is there another way to save the current view only of my picture. If I use Save as with jpeg format it will combine all my layers
bashment
operating_system: Windows 11
processor: 10th Gen
ram: 64GB
Video Card: 1650 Super

Post by bashment »

You may find the compression settings are in the program settings not in the export/save as jpg settings. Just a thought.
legepe

Post by legepe »

Thanks for replies.. I managed to save using Save for Office, but changed the setting within it to Optimize to Professional Printing which automatically changes within Advanced Settings to Image Quality to High (300 dpi)
The confusing thing is that I had manually changed all these settings several times to no avail. Also, I checked previously saved pictures which quality was acceptable and I had saved them jpeg with (96 dpi)?
Thanks anyways!
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

What I meant was "Save for Office" means "Save for use in Microsoft Office" just use SaveAs. Don't use Save For Office. Because when you print out a document in say Microsoft Office Word it will on average print at 96dpi resolution so it attempts to pre-format and decrease the overall size of the image to make the resulting office file size reasonable, and make it print the same way it looks in the file. If you're not intending to save to put in a Word document, don't use "Save for Office" use the regular "SaveAs".

Jpeg does not support layers so it will merge everything in the final result but PSP should keep the current layer structure after saving until you close the image so you can save it as a PSPImage file to retain the layers. If you want to save a separate copy of the file you can use SaveCopyAs. Or use SaveAs and give it a different name than the current file you're working on.
legepe

Post by legepe »

LeviFiction wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:50 pm What I meant was "Save for Office" means "Save for use in Microsoft Office" just use SaveAs. Don't use Save For Office. Because when you print out a document in say Microsoft Office Word it will on average print at 96dpi resolution so it attempts to pre-format and decrease the overall size of the image to make the resulting office file size reasonable, and make it print the same way it looks in the file. If you're not intending to save to put in a Word document, don't use "Save for Office" use the regular "SaveAs".

Jpeg does not support layers so it will merge everything in the final result but PSP should keep the current layer structure after saving until you close the image so you can save it as a PSPImage file to retain the layers. If you want to save a separate copy of the file you can use SaveCopyAs. Or use SaveAs and give it a different name than the current file you're working on.
I appreciate what you are saying with the issue by saving for office but the pictures are not for printing, they are for a website. The problem for me using save as is that I have multiple saves within each document - each one showing a different layer, and if i use save as then i must reopen the original document each time I want to save something. Is there no easier way to do this?
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Here are the two workflows I see when using Save As (please note, Save As not just Save) and Save For Office

Save For Office
1) Open File
2) Do Edits
3) File -> Save For Office
4) Choose presets (maximum image size, and resolution)
5) Choose Filename
6) Save (result is a flattened JPG file, not multiple files for each layer)

Save As
1) Open File
2) Do Edits
3) Fiel -> Save As
4) Choose preferred compression and file size ( file remains exact same pixel dimensions but you can determine file size and how good the quality is. The higher the file size the better the quality)
5) Choose Filename
6) Save (result is a flattened jPG file, not multiple file for each layer)

What are you seeing that would make Save As more cumbersome than Save For Office? My only objection to Save For Office is that it does resize your image and is intended for a specific purpose. While Save As just saves and compresses your image.
legepe

Post by legepe »

Hi LeviFiction and thanks for your detailed explanation
I was affraid to use Save as because of the message it was showing and incorrectly thinking that it would close the original file (with layers)
I have now used Save as and Save copy as and realize this is not the case
However, saying this I am going to have to play/familiarize myself with this process because I am loosing quality and gaining file size comparing to files already saved using Save for office, and need to keep the file sizes to minimum because they are for website
Thanks again
frankjg

Post by frankjg »

LeviFiction wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:43 pm I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Here are the two workflows I see when using Save As (please note, Save As not just Save) and Save For Office

Save For Office
1) Open File
2) Do Edits
3) File -> Save For Office
4) Choose presets (maximum image size, and resolution)
5) Choose Filename
6) Save (result is a flattened JPG file, not multiple files for each layer)

Save As
1) Open File
2) Do Edits
3) Fiel -> Save As
4) Choose preferred compression and file size ( file remains exact same pixel dimensions but you can determine file size and how good the quality is. The higher the file size the better the quality)
5) Choose Filename
6) Save (result is a flattened jPG file, not multiple file for each layer)

What are you seeing that would make Save As more cumbersome than Save For Office? My only objection to Save For Office is that it does resize your image and is intended for a specific purpose. While Save As just saves and compresses your image.
Hello,
I tried this but my jpg is all grainy and not acceptable quality.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

Then don't set the size so low. You want low compression to get the best results from a large image. The for office option literally resizes and changes the resolution then saves at a decent quality. You can do the same if you absolutely need it to be below a certain file size, but it does mean literally shrinking your image to do so.