Moderator: Ken Berry

Annclarke
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Hard_Drive_Capacity: Toronto

Slowing down for easier cutting?

Post by Annclarke »

Sorry if this has been asked already- it's difficult to find. I'm trying to edit a video for the first time and it's tricky to make cuts with the video playing at normal speeds. I find myself anxiously trying to pinpoint the right place and the video has already moved past me! Is there a way to slow down playback just for editing purposes (without changing the speed of the final clip)? Appreciate the help.
asik1
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

Re: Slowing down for easier cutting?

Post by asik1 »

How do you cut?
you can hit S
pogonips
motherboard: Lenovo Legion Y740-17IRHg
processor: Intel Core i7-9750H 2_60GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1_5 TB
Corel programs: Corel VideoStudio 2020 Ultimate

Post by pogonips »

I find it more efficient to use Avidemux (free video trimming utility) for initial cutting/trimming of video files. You can scroll the scrubber or play your clip until you get to the right area and then move a frame at a time, or a key frame at a time to decide where to cut. Saving the trimmed files seems to be much faster than rendering in VS too. Then I load the trimmed files to VS for more detailed work like effects, transitions, etc.
tletter
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Post by tletter »

Your profile doesn't indicate what version of VS you're using, but splitting/trimming your clips is basically version invariant.
Annclarke wrote:it's tricky to make cuts with the video playing at normal speeds. I find myself anxiously trying to pinpoint the right place and the video has already moved past me! Is there a way to slow down playback just for editing purposes (without changing the speed of the final clip)?
The way that you're trying to split/trim your clips is not the norm. Using the VS properly , you can split/trim your clips with frame accuracy (see following extract from the user guide). The user guide can answer many basic questions.
erase.jpg
Annclarke wrote:Hard_Drive_Capacity: Toronto
I know that Toronto's population is some 6M people, but I'm curious how many gigabytes does Toronto have?
pogonips wrote:I find it more efficient to use Avidemux (free video trimming utility) for initial cutting/trimming of video files.
There is no obvious benefit from using Avidemux as VS, like any NLE, can readily split/trim your clips. It seems that you're just adding an unnecessary step to your workflow.

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter