ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: CVSX10, 18, 19, 20, PSP, PI, MS3D

Re: Smart package crashes

Post by lata »

I do not believe that we have asked if the original project was rendered to a new output file.
It would be good to know if that render completes without problems.
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Post by fingerbreaker »

"Following on from the comments . . it seems the dropbox clip is a screen capture of the packaged vsp breaking towards/at the end of the parsing phase, and VS crashing to the desktop wallpaper.
Please confirm."

Confirmed other than I'm not qualified to say if it's breaking at the end of the parsing phase but I'm taking yours and Trevor's word for it.

I have already confirmed that the original project runs in edit mode right thru without error and that it renders OK. Actually now that I write that, I'm remembering that I only rendered the preview range as I have some "work in progress" clips and such that I haven't played through and rendered, so I will check that out.

This is the first smart package I've created so I will also test some smaller and less complex test projects to make sure SP generally works.

Okay, I have a lot to investigate - stand by and I will hopefully either have solved this myself or will have much more information to share! Really appreciate your help, gentlemen.

-FB
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Update:

Here is what I have done, chronologically, since my last reply:

1. Tried making a SP with a different project. Works great.
2. Re-verified that the original project plays all the way through and renders successfully.
3. Deleted all instances of the *612.mp4 file in the project (saved as a different test project). Created new Smart Package with that test project. It failed to load and crashed in the same way, this time the last clip being loaded or what have you was a .bmp file.
4. Went back to the project, found that the .bmp file in question was not used in the project but appears in the library with a re-link error. So I re-linked it to where the file now resides (and many other like errors were resolved, but again none of these files are being used in the project itself, they were just in the library). Made a new SP, it fails in the exact same way where that same .bmp file is the last clip filename showing in the status pop-up.

So, I can't delete that file and try again because that file isn't even in the project. Any thoughts? Why would the project be trying to load or access a file that is not used in the project?

Thanks,
FB
lata
Site Admin
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X 0x
processor: 4 10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7

Post by lata »

FB
I am not on the pc, a little late over here.
Just read this with interest regarding Bmp file, does the image have a full name, even if its short as 01.bmp

Bmp files are used by the program as black and white images for chroma masks.
Some instant projects also use these masks.

Now there is an issue with some images and their locotions within the Samples or Editing Styles folder. I am sure there is a post referring to chroma masks

I canot add any more info till tomorrow when i am back on the pc.

Besides i may be talking a load of rubbish
If i am right it will be the reason why it cannot be deleted as its a mask and not an actual image

Post updated
I dont suppose you have used an Instant Project on your timeline

When creating the Smart Package did you select to "Include all Trackers" as that will also save any bmp images used for chroma masks

Goodnight, thats all
Regards Trevor
Pepi
motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 1
processor: Intel i7-7700K
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Corel programs: VideoStudio 2020; PaintShopPro 2019

Post by Pepi »

fingerbreaker wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 pm

So, I can't delete that file and try again because that file isn't even in the project. Any thoughts? Why would the project be trying to load or access a file that is not used in the project?
Can you create just a random bmp file and save it on the same location?
--
Don't Panic
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Update: I deleted that .bmp. Then it failed on a different .mp4. Deleted. Then failed on another mp4. Deleted. Another. A png. Deleted. Another png. Deleted all of them. Then another mp4. Enough!

All of the mp4's it didn't like appear in the project multiple times (different clips from the same file) and have variable speed, mask or video mask frames, and other effects which is probably why it doesn't like them. And they are ones I'm still actively working on. So, at this point, while it might be theoretically possible to fix this, it's not at all worth the effort and I am conceding defeat.

Thank you for all of the help. As always, it is much appreciated!

Thanks,
FB
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

I was a little concerned with your comments regarding BMP and having to re-link and that relink cured other (“and many other like errors were resolved “), I did not realise that you are having more problems other than the crash when playing the Smart Package?

As I mentioned in my earlier reply a problem with Mask Frames, but should only affect when using the Instant Projects. Should not be a problem when manually adding a mask, just when using Instant Projects

The Bmp files are used as black and white images to create the Chroma Mask Frames.
We identified a problem recently where I believe the Bmp’s are in the wrong folder

First locate this folder and make a copy
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2020\EditingStyle\Image
As C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2020\EditingStyle\Image_copy

Now copy all files from ( i see 85)
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2020\Samples\Image
to

As far as I can tell has fixed the problem templates and fixed the crashes when playing some templates.
However I cannot say that this on its own is gonna cure your problems as I believe it’s a problem with Speed and other effects applied to same clip.

A little blinkered at this end not having eyes on makes it difficult to imagine how the timeline looks.
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Trevor wrote:

"I was a little concerned with your comments regarding BMP and having to re-link and that relink cured other (“and many other like errors were resolved “), I did not realise that you are having more problems other than the crash when playing the Smart Package?"

These were just files in the library that had been moved at some point and thus had link errors. I hadn't cleaned them up in a while but they weren't causing any problems as far as I knew. I just mean that when I re-linked the one file, a few others got re-linked automatically. Probably unrelated to the whole smart package problem although who knows.

"As I mentioned in my earlier reply a problem with Mask Frames, but should only affect when using the Instant Projects. Should not be a problem when manually adding a mask, just when using Instant Projects"

Yeah, I am definitely not using Instant Projects.

"The Bmp files are used as black and white images to create the Chroma Mask Frames.
We identified a problem recently where I believe the Bmp’s are in the wrong folder"

These were actually just screen captures which are Bmp files, but I also use a lot of custom mask frames - however they do not appear in the library. I do not use the stock ones so I don't think copying the sample images over to the other folder will do anything.

What I'm really trying to do is just move all of the project files to a USB external drive (call it the F drive). The project and many of the files are in fact already there, but many more are still in various folders on my PC's C:. By trying to open the project while connected to my laptop (which I have now received) I can see all of the linking errors and figure out what C: folders I need to move/copy over to F:. The big problem with this is I use a LOT of custom chroma mask files in this project and VS does not re-link them or even tell me what file it's looking for. It just says "can't find original mask file" or something. To re-select all of the mask files for each clip is not something I would look forward to because there are hundreds of obsolete versions across various folders, the names aren't always intuitive, etc. Definitely a good wake up call to be more disciplined with file management, but it is what it is.

Bottom line, is there a way to get VS to re-link the custom mask files, or at least identify the file associated with each masked clip so I can do it myself without hunting and pecking?

Thanks,
FB
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Hi
I posted details earlier regarding a known issue using chroma key masks, where we do see the message "can't find original mask file"
These are bmp files, hence my questions asking if you have ues those
Please try this hot fix

Copy the files from
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel VideoStudio 2020\Samples\Image
to

As far as i can tell has fixed the problem templates and fixed the crashes when playing some templates.
You should no longer see the message "can't find original mask file"

If you create a new smart package, make sure you select to "include all trackers"
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Trevor,

I tried what you suggested and it made no difference. To give a more precise description of what is happening, I load the project (located on USB drive F) on my laptop. I get an error for a missing file that I haven't yet copied from my pc, so I skip that file and the project loads with the message "Some clips have not been relinked". Okay, no problem. I play the project and it plays fine (other than the aforementioned clips not being there) but I can tell the (custom) chroma masks are gone on the clips that are in the project. If I select one of those clips and go to the Chroma Key tab, this message appears: "The original mask file doesn't exist. The first mask item will be applied as default".

The folder where I have stored all of the custom mask files has been copied onto the F drive (when I load the project on my PC where it successfully loads and plays, those mask files are on C:), so Videostudio just needs to go find them, but there is no option to relink (by which I mean, VS doesn't say "can't find mask file blahblahblah.bmp do you want to re-link" such that I can navigate to the new folder, select "blahblahblah.bmp" and off we go).

Is this a bug or is it how it was designed to work? In other words, normally would Videostudio be able to automatically re-link chroma masks? Or is there some purpose for not re-linking them? Or some software-based reason that they can't be relinked?

And given that this is how my system is behaving, is there some workaround where I can at least get VS to identify the mask file that was used originally? Even when I open the project on my PC, with all of the correct mask files being used in the project, I don't see a way to query VS to see what mask file is being used on any particular clip. There's the little thumbnail in the selection window, but that's not that helpful to me because as I said, undisciplined filename management with dozens of trial and error versions that are very similar to the final correct one. If I have to hunt and peck I will, but I really just want VS to tell me what mask filename it associates with each clip.

Thanks,
FB
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

lata wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:27 pm
If you create a new smart package, make sure you select to "include all trackers"
Its a little late over here in the UK, so will reply in full tomorrow

However i do not understand why you are seeing a re-link assuming you are using a smart package.
Why do you need to copy files from your pc when creating a smart package which copies all files

Can you create a new smart package, make sure you select -- include all trackers --
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Before you reply in full, I'm not getting across what I'm trying to do. I tried the Smart Package again after copying those image files (and selecting include all trackers). It does not work. I've given up on the smart package. Forget the smart package.

I just want to move all of the project files to F: which is a removable drive. That way, I can work on the project on my pc or my laptop interchangeably as long as F is connected. Smart package would have worked great for that, but it is just not going to work and I don't want to try and get it to work anymore. I just want to move everything to F once and be done with it.

The project is actually already on F:. But all of the mask files are on the pc's C: drive. I've copied them to F: but when I open the project on the laptop, VS doesn't know where the mask files are. So, how do I re-link the mask files (other than manually adding them all back in)? All of the other non-mask files give errors and re-link options and that works great. But for whatever reason, it doesn't do this for mask files. It doesn't tell you what mask file it needs and it doesn't even tell you that it can't find it unless you happen to double click on a clip that uses a lost mask file.

Hope that's more clear!

Thanks,
FB
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

Ok
A little explanation re Masks and the BMP’s
First there is an issue when using some Instant Projects where the masks do not work, I found this to be a problem with the location of the BMP files.
Moving those BMP files does address the Instant Projects issue.
You have done that and can now be ignored.

Scenario
A man stands in the sun, his shadow falling on a wall, we cannot see the man as he is behind us.
We approach the wall, where the shadow lies there is no details to be seen on the wall, where the sun shines all details can be seen
We try to move the shadow, of course we cannot, its just a shadow / a mask
The man moves out of the way the shadow disappears.

Back using Video Studio
The program allows us to apply a mask to our clips
Options Panel – Effects tab – Mask and Chroma Key – Type Mask Frames
What we see here are Masks, think of them as a shadow a reflection of the source bmp image.

We have an image on the timelines (the wall)
Chroma Key applies a Mask Frame (a shadow)
The details of the Mask Frame are a representation of the BMP shape used to create the mask.
The image now shows some details with parts transparent other parts viewable, that’s the masks effect.
For whatever reason if the BMP is moved/deleted from its original location, in the same way the man moved, the mask / shadow disappears.

Now when we access the Chroma Key we see a message that the original mask cannot be found and a default mask will be used.
This message is similar to a re-link except we do not select the new mask, the program does that.
Clear as mud

Ok
Creating a Smart Package should replicate all clips in the project including any masks applied to our clips, it also saves a project file VSP within the SP Folder. The Smart Package should now contain a BMP associated with any masks used.
Moving the Smart Package should work without problems, of course we use the VSP project file from within the Smart Package, as all files are within the same folder there should be no problems with re-links or masks
There is no way to re-link a mask as its only a shadow
We can apply the mask again providing we can identify which mask was used in the first place, that will need viewing the original project on the original pc.

I will have to run my own project to check that the masks are being used, it does appear that these may be a problem given your descriptions.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

Post by lata »

one thought, just thinking out loud

when we create a smart package we are first prompted to save the project
Then we proceed to create the Smart Package, that folder contains a VSP
There are now 2 VSP files.
You must use the VSP within the Smart Package folder to open the project, not the original project file which will be outside the folder.

I have created a smart package to share with you, only contains 2 images, one has a mask applied
Let me know if you see that mask
FB mask SP.zip
smart package opens using 2019 or 2020
(497.96 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Regards Trevor
fingerbreaker

Post by fingerbreaker »

Your smart package works fine, with the mask, which is incidentally a jpg, not a bmp. And if I move the vs****.jpg file out of the folder, it says "can't find original mask file, using a totally different one for no good reason instead of letting you tell me which folder I can find vs*****.jpg which is how the program would be expected to work" or words to that effect. I also successfully created a different smart package on another project. But as I said, I cannot get a smart package working on this project. I've deleted dozens of clips trying to narrow down the problem and it fails on something new every time. So, as I've said, I'm giving up on trying to make a smart package work with this project. If I can just successfully migrate all of the project files to my USB F drive, then I'll be all set. And just to be clear, I have no reason to think that mask files are the problem with making my smart package. And yes, of course I've been opening the smart package VSP from within the SP folder, but naturally worth asking to be sure. So, the only reason I'm still talking about smart packages is if it helps me with the mask file migration somehow.

Couple new thoughts: the smart package folder I have created does bring over all of the mask files (or it looks like it does) so I at least know which files are the actual mask files as opposed to all of the older obsolete ones that I did not delete in the original project folder. However, as I've mentioned this project uses a lot of mask files (there are about 90 of them I believe) and they aren't named very strategically so it will still be a challenge for me to manually re-apply them to all of the clips.

I also realized that what I am calling mask files (the custom image files I create) are actually jpg's not bmps. Meaning when I want to mask a clip in a certain way, I create a black and white image in another program, export it as a jpg, then select that jpg file in the Blending, mask frame selection window. You are calling the mask files bmp's - do you mean that VS creates a bmp based on my mask.jpg? Where do those bmp's get saved? In my smart package folder, I do not see any bmp files (well, there are a few, but they are just screen shots I've created and used in the project - not as mask frames but as overlay clips. They are definitely not assocaited with the mask.jpg's in the project).

Trevor wrote:
"Creating a Smart Package should replicate all clips in the project including any masks applied to our clips, it also saves a project file VSP within the SP Folder."

As I said above, it looks like the jpg masks I created do get replicated in the SP folder.

"The Smart Package should now contain a BMP associated with any masks used."

It does not! Your Smart Package did not. So where do these BMP files go? I also don't see them in the original project folder where this project opens successfully, masks and all.

"There is no way to re-link a mask as its only a shadow"

You lost me. If VS was "smart" enough to identify all of the mask jpg files AND the alleged bmp files associated with them for the Smart Package, then why can't it re-link them? The shadow doesn't exist without the man being there, likewise the mask doesn't exist without the mask.jpg file. VS loads the project successfully by knowing which clips need which mask files and knowing where to look for them on the pc. If they are not there, it gives an error, but there should be no reason that it can't prompt me to locate file "mask.jpg" if it is no longer where it's looking for it. Right??

"We can apply the mask again providing we can identify which mask was used in the first place, that will need viewing the original project on the original pc."

So, this is fine with me if VS can't re-link masks even though it totally should :) then I'll do it myself if it can just tell me which masks are needed. But, how do I do this on the original project/original PC? If I select a masked clip and go to Blending, mask frame it shows me a thumbnail menu and highlights the thumbnail associated with the mask. In your test SP it's obvious - the big FB - but in my project it's not obvious at all. Trust me. What I really want is the filename associated with the thumbnail. Yes, yes - shadows and walls, but seriously, is there no way for VS to be able to tell me where the mystery man is that created the shadow?

FB