processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: GTX1050
Hard_Drive_Capacity: No hoarder
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 19" + samsung 19"
Corel programs: VS-X9.2

What they say about a 300$ NLE?

Post by asik1 »

Hi, I just read this comment in a users forum of a much more expensive software, the thread as you probably guess was about the need to upgrade every year

"Constantly introducing new features with bugs with a new Version and never fixing them within 1 year and no updates after looks bad I feel. Especially because they continue to sell the previous years vXXXXpro, I would be happier if they fixed bugs for 2 years. Peace of mind.... but then maybe you wont' upgrade"
tletter
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: i7-3632QM 2.2 GHz
ram: 16GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Corel programs: X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, X10, 2018, 2019

Re: What they say about a 300$ NLE?

Post by tletter »

asik1 wrote:"Constantly introducing new features with bugs with a new Version and never fixing them within 1 year and no updates after looks bad I feel.
As per Vegas Pro, there is no money to be made in releasing VS SPs, so unless Corel moves VS to an annual subscription-based sales model, then VS needs to motivate a large percentage of current users to buy the newest version of VS. Since that motivation is mainly based on new features found in the annual release, it's difficult to see Corel devoting developer cycles to fix bugs in older versions of VS. What is strange is Corel's habit of releasing bug-filled new releases of VS and then spending many developer cycles to fix those bugs. I guess that the customers act as Corel's QA so that cuts down on development costs :wink:

tletter
https://www.youtube.com/user/tletter
Davidk
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
processor: Intel core i3 3.7ghz dual core processor
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: on-motherboard Intel HD 4400 graphics chipset
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5.8Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP E240c video conferencing monitor
Corel programs: VideoStudio X9,X10,2018,2019,2020

Re: What they say about a 300$ NLE?

Post by Davidk »

Not every vendor has those often described/critiqued Corel-like habits. I've just experienced - twice in the space of 3 weeks - support that listens to issues, provides feedback, and advises of confirmation/passed to dev to fix. I've never seen support like that: bouquets all round. And it's a good way to earn product loyalty: users convinced they will be listened to, responded to will stay with it . . . .
In terms of upgrade - maybe not, but abandonment is the other option