VS11+ Importing AVCHD Video

Moderator: Ken Berry

etech6355

VS11+ Importing AVCHD Video

Post by etech6355 »

The recent release of VideoStudio 11+ can import the .m2t files (H264) directly into the timeline from your hardisk or import them the same as MF6+. To import the AVCHD Videos first make sure in your cams setup menu the avchd cam is set to "Computer", plug the cam into the computer, let windows mount the cam (windows will assign a drive letter to the cam, that is what the "Computer Mode" is in the cams setup menu, so windows can assign a drive letter to the avchd cam) and then use the DVD/DVD-VR DVD Import Function, select to your dvd drive(for mini-dvd avchd recorders with physical media finalized in the camcorder and then inserted into your dvd reader) or harddisk camcorder (import dvd folder icon and pick the drive letter windows has assigned to your avchd cam, click the + sign next to the drive letter and navigate to the AVCHD folder, highlight the AVCHD folder). Click on OK after selecting the AVCHD folder , the video(s) will be displayed in a pop-up box. Put a Check in the videos you want to import to your harddisk and click Import. Camcorders or SD avchd devices would use the "Import DVD Folder", navigate to the drive letter assigned by windows, select it and click OK.

Exporting them out to a compatible editable format can be somewhat tricky if you haven't worked with the hd-mpeg2 format very much.
Experience is the best teacher. I would start by working with short clips of about 2-3 minutes each.

You can use
"Share -> Create Video File -> HDV -> HDV1080i (HDV) which yields 25000kbs (TransportStream Format - TS), mainly used for writing back to tape.
"Share -> Create Video File -> HDV -> HDV1080i (For PC) which yields 25000kbs (Program Stream Format - PS), Most common for general playback.
or
"Share -> Create Video File -> Custom & set all the parameter settings the same as exporting in MovieFactory 5 or 6.
or
"Share -> Create Video File -> "YOUR HDV TEMPLATE"

***NOTE: The HD-DVD Option for 1440/1920 uses "Lower Field First", if your video is upper_field_first this option should not be used.
***My preference would be to use the " HDV -> HDV1080i (For PC)" Selection

How to create a "HDV Template":
Tools -> Make Movie Templates Manager -> Mpg Format -> Compression tab = MPEG2 (then set all the encoding parameters appropriately) save this template and apply it when going to "Share -> Create Video File -> Your Template".
Ulead Website FAQ:
Q:
When I import video from an AVCHD camcorder, is there anything I need to watch out for?

A:
If you wish to capture the video from your camcorder (Hard-dsc or DVD) you should start VideoStudio first, then connect your device. In the capture step, select ¡§Import from DVD/DVD-VR¡¨ and select your device ¡V it will usually show up with a drive letter like a hard drive. Then click import, and it will offer you the choice to select the clips that you want to import and edit.
Questions can be posted in the Video Studio Forum.
Last edited by etech6355 on Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 am, edited 8 times in total.
richmg821
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Asus M4A785M
processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 BED
ram: 4GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4800 1GB
sound_card: Delta 1010LT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung P2770

AVCHD files

Post by richmg821 »

I originally made a folder and put my AVCHD files on it. I had to connect the camera again to the computer, because the; "Import DVD" would not find the folder/files. After connecting my camera to the computer again, to successfully import my AVCHD files. I found later on, that if I moved the AVCHD folder, to the root directory of the hardrive. I could import the files (search), from my AVCHD folder, just like when the camera was connected. The problem was, that the program, doesn't like, or see sub-folders.
sjj1805
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

Just to add to Johns tutorial, there is another 'How to' here
Importing video from AVCHD camcorders
etech6355

Post by etech6355 »

richmg821,
I only have the mini-dvd avchd disks. Just edited the above post to define the proper method to import using the dvd folder method, could you verify this is the correct method. I mean having to highlight the AVCHD folder that resides under the assigned drive letter of the avchd camcorder.
You may also be interested in this thread from the moviefactory forum.
http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewtopic.php?t=21182

Also, the extracted videos from your avchd folder willl copy the videos to your assigned "Working Folder" you set under the "Preferences" settings in VS11+. They will have the extensiion of .m2t, you can re-use them again in another project using the insert media in VS11+. This way you don't have to use the import feature again if the files are already on your harddisk.
richmg821
motherboard: Asus M4A785M
processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 BED
ram: 4GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4800 1GB
sound_card: Delta 1010LT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung P2770

Post by richmg821 »

Etech6355,
Thanks for the 411. Whatever I'm doing works. I make a folder, import my AVCHD files to it. Then I move the AVCHD folder up to the main directory. I'm glad VS 11+ came out. With Movie Factory 6, I was able to import my AVCHD files; but the program just hung up, during editing, trimming. I have no problem, what so ever with VS11+. Other so called AVCHD editors, wouldn't let me trim the front part of the AVCHD files; it crashes or the video is blank. After I make my DVD's, iso files. "Delete". Hey with AVCHD files, it takes seconds to download, not in realtime my Digi 8, or 8mm tapes. If I have to do it again. No big deal.
Thanks.
mjdavey

HDR-SR1 m2ts import

Post by mjdavey »

Whilst this method works - it only imports the mts format, and you have to ensure that you let UL11+ do the import, not the sony 'software' provided.

Unfortunatly i have had the HDR-SR1 lots longer than anyone has had sw to edit the video and hence have a backlog of stuff in m2ts format.

ULead is far better (performance-wise) than Pinnacle Studio but at least I can reference my 'old' video... If ULead had an import for m2ts it would be REALLY NICE!!!
mdolan

Post by mdolan »

So I have a Sony HDR-SR7 that records AVCHD on its internal hard drive (awesome btw). How do I import that video into Ulead? I have the files copied to my hard drive. This DVD import does not work (there is no DVD...)

Has anyone been able to do this?
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

Well, there's no "DVD," as you say, but you still need to use the "Import From DVD" button to be able to browse to your connected Sony HDD camcorder.

With your camcorder powered "on," you then browse to the drive letter assigned to your camcorder.

Then you import directly from the HDD camcorder.

If you have used the Sony software (Picture Motion Browser) to copy the AVCHD from your camcorder to your computer's hard disk, you wind up with files that have a .M2TS extension.

The Corel software can't recognize that extension (yet).

So you need to use the Corel software to capture.

When the Corel software captures (transfers) the video from your camcorder to your computer's hard disk, it will give the AVCHD files a .M2T extension.

I have the Sony HDR-UX1; these are awesome camcorders.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net
mdolan wrote:So I have a Sony HDR-SR7 that records AVCHD on its internal hard drive (awesome btw). How do I import that video into Ulead? I have the files copied to my hard drive. This DVD import does not work (there is no DVD...) Has anyone been able to do this?
Gateway 7426gx
http://tinyurl.com/hagye
mdolan

Post by mdolan »

Thanks for the tip, but the only "drive" that I can select in the import from DVD is my DVD drive - and this is with the Sony camcorder connected (i can copy/paste files fine).
mdolan

Post by mdolan »

Ok, I see now - I used the Import from DVD Folder and was able to import them.

So... how does this work when you pull videos off your camera but not with Ulead? Seems odd that I can only do it off the camera - what if I take a ton of video and copy some off to a hard drive...
sjj1805
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

I don't have HD etc but.....
instead of the drop down box to select a DVD drive, have you used the browse for DVD folder option in the import from DVD dialog box?

EDIT: seems we posted at almost the same time!!
sschmitz

VS11+ crashes on import from AVHCD directory

Post by sschmitz »

Has anybody experienced a fatal exception when trying to import clips from a AVHCD directory. I had no problems importing from my Panasonic SD3 when the directory only contained a few clips of small size. This weekend I tried to import 30 clips with a combined size of 1.3GB and VS11+ crashed right after I tried to start the import process.
Zelmo

Post by Zelmo »

Yes, I have that problem, too. VS-10+ was really stable for me and DV editing, but I just upgraded to VS-11+ and an SD1 camcorder.

When I try to import all clips from the camcorder via USB, VS-11 imports them, but then while it's putting up the thumbnails on the screen, it crashes every time after the 3rd or 4th clip.

There were 9 clips total, none more than 3 minutes (about 30 MB each). If I restart VS-11 and then only select the clips that didn't make it, it works fine. I haven't tried this with another set of clips, nor with more or fewer of them, just this one set.

BTW, when I view the clips once they're imported, they play fine, so I don't think it's a corrupted clip. It crashes in a different place every time.

-z-
etech6355

Post by etech6355 »

Some of the clips that showup on my disk (before importing and you check them orr) at the bottom of the listing there are extra ones that don't seem to do anything and I don't check them off of course.

This probably has nothing to do with your problems but worth mentioning because even today I don't consider windows computers that reliable (never did), speaking aboout hardware issues here..

In MovieFactory 6+ I kept getting this same error as yours after importing and trying to put the thumbnails on the timeline. I had been having some trouble with a usb mouse that was plugged into a PS3 mouse adapter. The mouse was giving me trouble so decided to replace it because it was time and maybe related to this problem (didn't really believe it would fix the problem). After replacing the mouse with another usb mouse & putting it on a usb port instead of the PS3 adapter the program imports and computer seems to be more stable. After importing I would get the memory error.
I know this is crazy because if someone told me that replacing the mouse fixed a problem like this I would say shouldn't really affect this. Actually I'm starting to believe maybe an irq conflict on the PS3 mouse port along with a defective mouse (the original usb mouse is defective).

So try replacing your mouse! Only joking of course. But I only pointed this out to take notice if there are or have been any hardware problems with your computer.

Out of all the computers I've ever repaired I've never come across this one. New mouse fixes importing..........Or.......The program is mousey.
David K

VS11 crashes when importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR1 - help

Post by David K »

I am trying (as posted above) to import from my HDR-SR1 using the VS11plus (purchased last Wed - upgrade from VS10+) using either VS Editor or Movie Wizard. It worked once(test) with 3 very small files but after shooting all weekend at Luskville Dragway I have close to 11Gb on the camera HDD. Every time I try to do the import, VS disapears(blows up). When I turn on the camera, the drive letter shows up (D) and the AVCHD folder(sub folder and files) is there. I have tried this on a loaner ACER notebook running XP Home(this did work once for the small files), my normal PC (P4 3.0 GHz w/1 GB RAM running XP Pro) and my video editing PC (new Intel quad core 2.66 GHz w/ 4 GB RAM running Vista Ultimate) with the same results. Vista reports that the program encountered a problem. Someone please help.