Bugs & Suggestions
rainer042
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

AfterShotPro 2.1.0.40 HDR bugs

Post by rainer042 »

Hi,

just played around with the (for linux users) new HDR tool. It does a well job. The results are really very nice. However I discovered some strange effects:

- Several times I saw an "out of memory" dialog popping up, playing around with settings in step 3. Since my system has 8GB RAM and top said that the virtual process size of the HDR process is about 800MB I do not really believe this message.

- When I apply settings from Intelligent photo optimizations in Step 3 and then change to the "remove digital noise" settings, I see that the sliders are not set to "0" but the values set are not applied. Eg the anti-noise slider is set to 70. Now if i *decrease* this slider say to a value of 60 one would expect that noise is getting stronger, however the opposite happens its getting better. So it seems that the anti noise settings are there but have not been applied to the preview which only happens when you change one of the anti noise settings.

- When changing from one step to another, then there is no symbol (mouse cursur) that tells the user that the system is still busy. Since at least on my core duo processing D7100 RAWs it takes up to 30sec to go from step1 to step 2 it would be helpful to see when exactly I can proceed.

Great product
Rainer
kaymann
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
processor: Intel i-7 6800K
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3.5 T
Monitor/Display Make & Model: MSI MAG 341CQ & Dell 2470
Corel programs: PSP 2019 Ult, Painter 2020, CorelDraw X7

Re: AfterShotPro 2.1.0.40 HDR bugs

Post by kaymann »

rainer042 wrote:Hi,

just played around with the (for linux users) new HDR tool. It does a well job. The results are really very nice. However I discovered some strange effects:

- When I apply settings from Intelligent photo optimizations in Step 3 and then change to the "remove digital noise" settings, I see that the sliders are not set to "0" but the values set are not applied. Eg the anti-noise slider is set to 70. Now if i *decrease* this slider say to a value of 60 one would expect that noise is getting stronger, however the opposite happens its getting better. So it seems that the anti noise settings are there but have not been applied to the preview which only happens when you change one of the anti noise settings.

- When changing from one step to another, then there is no symbol (mouse cursur) that tells the user that the system is still busy. Since at least on my core duo processing D7100 RAWs it takes up to 30sec to go from step1 to step 2 it would be helpful to see when exactly I can proceed.

Great product
Rainer
Same results in Win version with NR settings.

On the Win version they have a progress bar that goes along the entire length of the program window - not on the linux version?
rainer042

Post by rainer042 »

kaymann wrote:
rainer042 wrote:Hi,

Same results in Win version with NR settings.

On the Win version they have a progress bar that goes along the entire length of the program window - not on the linux version?
This progress bar is as well visible in linux when doing something in eg step2 or step3.

What I was talking about is when you are switching from the step1-screen to the step2-screen. Step1-screen is still visible and I switch to step2. Then I see a progress bar. So far thats ok.

Then the step2-screen is being displayed and there is no longer any progress bar visible. But although everything looks like you could continue to work in step2, actually it takes another 30sec (the time may depend on image size and host CPU power) where you actually can't do anything because AfterShot HDR is still performing some tasks not allowing you to change any of the step2 settings. And for these 30sec there is no progress bar and no indicator that the system is still busy.

Rainer
kaymann
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
processor: Intel i-7 6800K
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce RTX 2060
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3.5 T
Monitor/Display Make & Model: MSI MAG 341CQ & Dell 2470
Corel programs: PSP 2019 Ult, Painter 2020, CorelDraw X7

Post by kaymann »

Sorry,
On mine it is so instantaneous on step 1 to step 2 a status bar is not needed...
I wonder if something else is going on...
rainer042

Post by rainer042 »

Well hard to say whats going on. What I can see on my host is that for these 30sec 1CPU goes up to 100%. So it seems ASP HDR is doing something, but of course I cannot tell what. Strange that there is no delay on your system.

Are you using Linux or Mac or Windows? 32 or 64bit? How may megapixel does your raw photos have?

I have a Nikon D7100 with 24Mpix and I am using the 32bit Linux version of ASP.

Thanks
Rainer