Cannot print - printing options are missing (ASP>=1.0.1.10)

Bugs & Suggestions
rp9
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: L
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: C2 Duo
ram: 5GB

Cannot print - printing options are missing (ASP>=1.0.1.10)

Post by rp9 »

This bug appeared first in version 1.0.1.10 but also persist in ll subsequent versions of ASP, also in 2.x. for Linux.

When trying to print and opening Advanced printing options, the tab is empty:
ASP-bug.jpg
I reported this bug to Corel support on 2012/06/03. After more than 20 days and numerous mails with support I finally got confirmation that this bug is reproduced. Since than - nothing. 2 years has left and the bug is still not fixed. It makes ASP useless for me because I mainly bought it for printing. I do not understand such approach to the client.

Am I the only one who needs this function such despreately?
afx
System_Drive: N/A
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Re: Cannot print - printing options are missing (ASP>=1.0.1.

Post by afx »

AS printing has never been brilliant, although I have never seen the issue you are havin.. On Windows use Qimage instead. On Linux Turboprint.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
rp9
System_Drive: L
processor: C2 Duo
ram: 5GB

Post by rp9 »

Well, ok, it should not be brilliant, but let it work somehow. Besides, it was working before 1.0.1.10.

BTW, what do you mean by "use Turboprint instead"? As you might have noticed, I am already using Turboprint and it is a driver, not a software for photo editting/printing.
afx

Post by afx »

I've only used Turboprint ages ago and always printed directly with it, using 16bit Tiffs that I generated with AS. It does have a frontend...

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
hannes_hab
System_Drive: Z
motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H77-I
processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz x 8
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
sound_card: Radeon HD 7700 7800 Sapphire
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x250GbSSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG IPS 21:9 UltraWide 34UM95-P 3440x1440
Corel programs: AfterShotPro 1, 2, (3)

Post by hannes_hab »

I don't know a way to open a tif-file with turboprint - for 8 bit files you can use Gimp or use Photoprint (which can open 16 bit tifs) ...
http://blackfiveimaging.co.uk/index.php ... PhotoPrint

You also may print to a pdf-File within ASP then open it with acrobat-reader and print with turboprint ...
(I noticed problems with some layouts in ASP 2 where pictures are not scaled in a correct way but edges are cut ...)
regards Hannes
austria

Nikon D7000 + D70, Nikon P6000, Nikon P330 (use P7800) PanasonicTZ100, Vuescan
bibble 4, bibble 5, ASP mostly on Ubuntu 14.04 ( sometimes Suse Linux 11.4 or WIN10)
FalCT60
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Post by FalCT60 »

Why should whe have to pay for thirdparty software to do something ASP ought to do itself ?
Moreover, ASP isn't even capable of managing turboprint, one has to save as (tiff, jpeg, whatever one wants, etc.) and then use turboprint. What for a joke is that ?
ASP is the only one program that can't corectly print on linux. Every other software can, without needing extra add-ons.
In fact, I think that tends to confirm Goreman's reasoning : http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... 15#p294818
The more people will buy this inferior ASP version, the faster Corel will drop linux support !

J.-Luc
afx

Post by afx »

The problem here is twofold, Linux uses bloody CUPS for printing and that is already a major piece of s****.
That alone is a good enough reason to buy turboprint.

Yes, AS needs to get better in printing, not just on Linux, but when you want to get the job done now, use something that works.
One of the key reasons why I have Windows machine for my main imaging work. I have yet to see anything that beats QImage (yes, the UI is a bit quirky, but once you figured that out, it is so much more convenient than anything else, lots of PS users prefer LR for printing as it is easer, but in my eyes, LR is still miles from QImage).

As long as there is no decent UI for layouts in AS, I just don't even see the point of trying to use it for printing.

Speaking of printing UI, in my mind Turboprint did have a tool for direct printing, but I just installed the current version for a check and I don't see it....
Looks like I am getting senile ;-(

cheers
afx