Video Card: nVidia 450
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 14 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2713H & Spider4
Corel programs: ASP3

Blank screen after closing hy using red X top right corner

Post by Kneops »

Possible bug:

When I use the red X button in the top right corner to close the program, the next time I start it, it will present me with a blank screen and I have to close it again by using the quit button in the file menu. After that it says there was a fatal error and asks me to restore settings. Then I can use it again.

This happens each time when I close the program when using the red X.
txoni
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Blank screen after closing hy using red X top right corn

Post by txoni »

It works fine for me (Kubuntu 14.04, nvidia driver, 64 bit), but just in case it helps, if you run the app in the command line, once you click the red cross, you should see something like:

1778.938: Unlocking catalog: "/home/username/.AfterShotPro/cache"
1778.946: Early Cleanup
1778.946: delete globals
1778.946: delete globals
1778.967: delete mid globals
1778.991: delete done globals
1779.23: delete app

Do you see any error?

If not, but if you install strace, You can also see what could be causing errors by doing:

strace /usr/bin/AfterShotPro2X64

I am assuming you are running the 64bit version here, given it says so under your nick. I do not know what the name is for the 32 bit version, just replace with its real name if so.

That will trace all (hundreds of) the system calls that the application runs, like file accesses that fail etc. Lets hope that sheds some light on the problem.
afx
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

txoni wrote:If not, but if you install strace, You can also see what could be causing errors by doing:
strace /usr/bin/AfterShotPro2X64
That will not work as it does not set up the libraries appropriately.

strace -ff /usr/bin/AfterShotPro2X64

Should do it.
But it usually is messy..
Adding "-o /tmp/as.log" will generate log files for each of the involved PIDs.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
txoni

Post by txoni »

afx wrote: That will not work as it does not set up the libraries appropriately.
afx
? It does work for me,and actually it seems to point to the correct libraries as you can see:

Code: Select all

(...)
open("/opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)/lib/libQtGui.so.4", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
read(3, "\177ELF\2\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0>\0\1\0\0\0@\367\35\0\0\0\0\0"..., 832) = 832
fstat(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=11707800, ...}) = 0
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f4024b31000
mmap(NULL, 13794632, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE, 3, 0) = 0x7f40202c0000
mprotect(0x7f4020d95000, 2093056, PROT_NONE) = 0
mmap(0x7f4020f94000, 331776, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_DENYWRITE, 3, 0xad4000) = 0x7f4020f94000
mmap(0x7f4020fe5000, 11592, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x7f4020fe5000
close(3)                                = 0
open("/opt/AfterShotPro2(64-bit)/lib/libQtCore.so.4", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
read(3, "\177ELF\2\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0>\0\1\0\0\0\220\354\7\0\0\0\0\0"..., 832) = 832
(...)
Well, it does work on the .deb binaries at least. Could it be that you chose the rpm distribution?

It might be messy but helped me debug AS and other binary apps in the past when logs were not available or meaningful.
afx

Post by afx »

txoni wrote:
afx wrote:That will not work as it does not set up the libraries appropriately.
afx
? It does work for me,and actually it seems to point to the correct libraries as you can see:
Just because it works for you does not mean it has to work for everyone.
Others have reported serious issues with the system Qt libraries when running the binaries directly.
So to me it is a game of chance running them straight without the appropriate environment setup and it might even completely invalidate the test.
On my Ubuntu 14.04 64bit system, the 32bit version will not run at all when called directly (missing libraries) and the 64bit version will crash in the catalog manager.

Pointing the average user to strace has already a high chance of confusing people, doing so without proper setup seems to be counterproductive.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
txoni

Post by txoni »

I never said it was a "copy paste recipe" that works for everyone. Give people a fishing rod and teach how to use it, better than giving a fish ;-)

Anyway, according to the documentation -ff only splits the output by the process that generated it. What is that meant to fix?

He also was able to run the application, so I assume he knew what binary to run, although I guessed 64 bit, given his profile.

The Qt binary issue you point to is common if you run a 32 bit binary on a 64 bit system in ubuntu and other OSes. Used to be common for me, not only in AS1, but also in others like AutoPanoGiga. And that forces setting up a whole duplicate 32 bit system , which messed up with my development libraries. That's why I loved so much that finally Corel released a 64bit version. I bet your issue would vanish if you installed the 64bit binary, but you will not, since you need the plugins, I know ;-)

The ideal would be that we would get a decent gdb backtrace, but as that will not be possible, .... BR
afx

Post by afx »

txoni wrote:I never said it was a "copy paste recipe" that works for everyone. Give people a fishing rod and teach how to use it, better than giving a fish ;-)
You need to tell people how to hold the rod as well.
Anyway, according to the documentation -ff only splits the output by the process that generated it. What is that meant to fix?
If you start the trace on a shell script, then it will only trace the script without -ff, not very useful.
The Qt binary issue you point to is common if you run a 32 bit binary on a 64 bit system in ubuntu and other OSes.
Two different issues..
library versions vs. architecture...
I bet your issue would vanish if you installed the 64bit binary, but you will not, since you need the plugins, I know ;-)
I have both installed...

I don't have issues at all. It works as designed when called properly.

cheers
afx
txoni

Post by txoni »

afx wrote: If you start the trace on a shell script, then it will only trace the script without -ff, not very useful.
Sorry, my bad, somehow I believed file reported it was an ELF-64 binary. Possibly I checked on the /opt/... file

afx wrote:
txoni wrote:The Qt binary issue you point to is common if you run a 32 bit binary on a 64 bit system in ubuntu and other OSes.
Two different issues.. library versions vs. architecture...
When I said 64 bit "system" I was pointing to a 64 bit library set, not the cpu architecture they run on.
The included 32 bit libraries were often troublesome, so removing them and pointing AfterShot to the system 32 bit compatiblity libraries helped, but then you end up duplicating the whole library set. In my case I ended up with 5 different Qt versions. Nice, isn't it? hehehe.

afx wrote:I have both installed...

I don't have issues at all. It works as designed when called properly.
Uhm... and how did you manage to load the 32 bit built plugins with the 64bit version? You managed to do some wrapper somehow? That sounds very challenging!
afx

Post by afx »

txoni wrote:
afx wrote: If you start the trace on a shell script, then it will only trace the script without -ff, not very useful.
Sorry, my bad, somehow I believed file reported it was an ELF-64 binary. Possibly I checked on the /opt/... file
Please read the post again. I was mentioning the -ff option in the context of tracing the startup shell script in /usr/bin.
When I said 64 bit "system" I was pointing to a 64 bit library set, not the cpu architecture they run on.
The included 32 bit libraries were often troublesome, so removing them and pointing AfterShot to the system 32 bit compatiblity libraries helped, but then you end up duplicating the whole library set. In my case I ended up with 5 different Qt versions. Nice, isn't it? hehehe.
So you are coming from a heavily customized system and then assume a command that works there is easily transferable to an average users system?
Uhm... and how did you manage to load the 32 bit built plugins with the 64bit version? You managed to do some wrapper somehow? That sounds very challenging!
That was not referring to the plugins, sorry if that was misleading.

cheers
afx
txoni

Post by txoni »

afx wrote:So you are coming from a heavily customized system and then assume a command that works there is easily transferable to an average users system?
No, Didn't I say I never intended to give a recipe? ;-) Actually I run a completely standard Kubuntu system, not customized. But I have alternative environments taht I can enable/disable at will to do cross-platform development or development against differen Qt versions.

Shame about the plugins, that would have been nice, but thanks anyway.