dannysatan
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: AfterShot 2 Pro

RAW+JPEG workflow

Post by dannysatan »

Hi,

Most of the time I'm quiet happy with JPG from my camera (GX7) and would like to fallback to RAW editing only when necessary.

So in ideal world I open the directory which contains both raw and jpg files (one of each per photo). Each photo is displayed only once and camera JPG is the one that I see, and I can accept/reject it. Once I filter only the accepted photos I can selectively replace camera jpgs with manually edited raw output.

I don't think Aftershot 2 has a built in feature for this kind of workflow.

Does anyone know how to do it? Ideally without the catalogue. So far I can only think of many manual steps involving files manipulation outside Aftershot.

Cheers,
Daniel
hannes_hab
System_Drive: Z
motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H77-I
processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz x 8
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
sound_card: Radeon HD 7700 7800 Sapphire
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x250GbSSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG IPS 21:9 UltraWide 34UM95-P 3440x1440
Corel programs: AfterShotPro 1, 2, (3)

Re: RAW+JPEG workflow

Post by hannes_hab »

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately jpg and raw are not linked in ASP (hope this will be a feature sometime).
My approach is to apply the raw as marked and save this a camera- (or raw-) default (raws are accepted) - then when importing (you can download, rename, add presets and camera defaults, and import at the same time) you can filter (also in filesystem mode). I only work on the raws (and sometimes switch to see the jpg too, just to see how the picture looks like out of the camera).
Reject the ones I don't like. ASP is very fast if you don't do much treatment, so in my opinion it doesn't make sense to (normally) use the jpgs.

About workflow see also:
http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... ow#p246556
http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... ow#p246689

In my opinion (do not share the opinion of afx for this topic) its a good idea to use catalogs. You have more advantages if you use the catalog. eg.: history, faster screen display, more filter functions ... (its important that you have set the option so that xmp-files are written). In that case you can always use the filesytem mode too, if the catalog is corrupted nothing is lost.
regards Hannes
austria

Nikon D7000 + D70, Nikon P6000, Nikon P330 (use P7800) PanasonicTZ100, Vuescan
bibble 4, bibble 5, ASP mostly on Ubuntu 14.04 ( sometimes Suse Linux 11.4 or WIN10)
Dutchmm
System_Drive: N/A
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Post by Dutchmm »

I don't think you are quoting afx correctly here, Hannes. I think he says "use lots of small catalogs rather than one mega catalog". And I agree, it is a very economical way of adding many filters to a batch of photos one is importing.
hannes_hab

Post by hannes_hab »

yes, you are right Dutschmm, that is an advantage of ASP (bibble5) - you are able to open and search different catalogs the same time (I am not sure but I think look and feel of this was better in bibble 5 (and/or ASP1).
By the way, it seems that afx does not work with ASP any more, or has no time, to "feed" the forum ...
regards Hannes
austria

bibble 4, bibble 5, ASP mostly on Ubuntu 14.04 ( sometimes Suse Linux 11.4 or WIN10)
dannysatan

Post by dannysatan »

Hey Hannes, thanks for your input and links to workflow posts. I'll surely have a look at them.

At the moment most of photos in my backlog are holiday photos - out of 1000 photos from a trip I keep at least a 100 and it's not practical to perform "a RAW study" on each of them. At the same time my AF skills are not that great yet and it takes a lot of time to come up with a photo that is at least as good as JPG from camera.

It would be good if there were some presets available for beginners that would mimic the camera raw converter.
Dutchmm
System_Drive: N/A
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Post by Dutchmm »

It's my understanding that there are some presets for various types of subject. Some are free, and supplied with ASP. You will find these beneath the Lighting, Colour, and Vibrance settings on the "Standard" tab. Others you need to buy or download free from Corel. Everytime I exit ASP the program reminds me of these. You can find more if you visit this page, and scroll down.

HTH
dannysatan

Post by dannysatan »

Dutchmm, which one is the"Panasonic Lumix GX7 natural" preset? :) But seriously is there a preset I can apply to all photos that will work most of the time and will render them pretty much neutrally (just like jpegs from camera)?
hannes_hab

Post by hannes_hab »

There is noting like "natural" in Photography.
But if you think you like the look of the jpgs out of the camera, try to view the jpg and raw side by side and alter the settings like contrast, vibrance, sharpening, tone etc. (and copyright information e.g.) till you are happy - then save the result (that you want to apply to all of your pictures, so don't take too "strong" settings) as camera default, and all images you download (import) have these settings applied automatically.
So there is also nothing like "a RAW study". You only have to do this "study" on these images that you think are worth for spending more work on them.
regards Hannes
austria