ASP-3 and Linux

AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
dFlyer
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

ASP-3 and Linux

Post by dFlyer »

This morning got an upgrade notice that ASP3 was out so went and downloaded and installed the trial upgrade. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04-LTS, still not the stablest yet but will run ASP2,4. Couldn't find any install instructions so just installed it along side ASP2.4. The first problem I noticed was that it didn't give me a launch icon so went to /opt/ ASP3 folder and clicked on the bin file which started ASP3. The program seems to start very fast. Clicked on a folder to bring up some photos, the system crashed, so went an uninstalled it. Decided I would try to research the problem and found the TECH SPECS page which I've provided a link for:

http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/products ... tech-specs

I see it supports Windows and MAC, but no linux.

Before I put out any more money on this program, would like to see upgrade instructions for linux and be reassured that linux will continue to have support and work out of box without modifications.
Thanks.
Gary Garibaldi
Linux since 96
Sony a700
Sony a100
Greg Wood
operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
ram: 16GB

Re: ASP-3 and Linux

Post by Greg Wood »

Hi dFlyer.
We have a snafu on that page--Linux is supported. We're working to update that content. You can grab Deb/RPM trials from http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/free-tri ... t-pro.html
Greg
ngrover

Post by ngrover »

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 x64. I uninstalled AfterShot Pro 2, then bought a license for AfterShot Pro 3 and installed it.

Working great for me. No crashes.
theBro

Post by theBro »

Is it true that one cannot open up images specified on command line? I only tested the trial, and it seems that I will have to click a lot on the gui to open up any image, instead just giving the images to be edited on command line when starting up AfterShot3 (the way it worked on earlier versions).

I also get a crash when I browse to a directory with test image converted to jpeg using Aftershot3:

Code: Select all

Scanning file  "/tmp/as/PA010182.jpg"
Importing: "/tmp/as/PA010182.jpg"
TIFF Error:  /tmp/as/PA010182.jpg "Not a TIFF file, bad magic number 55551 (0xd8ff)"
defaults:  "DefaultRendered.xmp"
Segmentation fault
alphadingo
motherboard: Macbook Pro Retina 2013

Post by alphadingo »

Fedora 23 on a macbook pro with no issues so far. Any plans for Hi-DPI support? Everything is so tiny. Also, open CL isn't seeing my nvidia card. Any way to fix that?
Last edited by alphadingo on Thu May 12, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dFlyer

Post by dFlyer »

That is pretty much the error I was receiving when entering a directory that I use ASP2.4 on. A work around on a test directory was to remove all xmp's, doing so allowed me to edit the file. I'm not sure if that is the way I want proceed as I've got close to 100,000 files in 1000's of directories.
Thanks.
Gary Garibaldi
Linux since 96
Sony a700
Sony a100
nick-in-wales
processor: Intel i5 4690
ram: 24GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB
Corel programs: Aftershot Pro 3.

Post by nick-in-wales »

I'm sorry to report that I paid up for v.3 and now I've reverted to v.2, hopefully temporarily.

Firstly the much vaunted "Get More" facility is not available under Linux (thanks Gary for the info), but the killer for me was that support for PEF files (Pentax RAW format) seems to have vanished into thin air!

Initially I installed v.3 in parallel with v.2 (not clever I know) and v.3 kept falling over, I then uninstalled both packages moved my user folder and catalogs somewhere safe and re-installed v.3 on it's own, it was at this point I was told the "Get More" tab is a feature not required by Linux users. Still no PEF support but at least it was stable(ish). I am usually cautious hence I stick with a Ubuntu LTS so why I jumped to v.3 on day one beats me.

I will give Corel a few days to come back to me on the PEF issue (it IS supported in v.3 according to Corel), after that I might start thinking about a refund.
Pentax and Ricoh for Ever!

I love Linux!!

It's wet in Wales, always.
gewb
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Video Card: AMD R9-270
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 24MK430
Corel programs: 2018, 2020 & 2021 Ult.

Post by gewb »

I loaded the trial version in Linux Mint 17.3 hoping to get further away from Windows and Adobe.

Main issue is ASP3 doesn't see the mounted NTFS and FAT32 drives which is where my image files are stored. It sees /mnt but nothing in it. Select > RtClick >Refresh didn't help.

Anyone else have this issue?

Regards,
GEWB
Greg Wood
operating_system: Windows 8

Post by Greg Wood »

Just FYI, we're watching this string and will investigate.
nick-in-wales
processor: Intel i5 4690
ram: 24GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB
Corel programs: Aftershot Pro 3.

Post by nick-in-wales »

gewb wrote:I loaded the trial version in Linux Mint 17.3 hoping to get further away from Windows and Adobe.

Main issue is ASP3 doesn't see the mounted NTFS and FAT32 drives which is where my image files are stored. It sees /mnt but nothing in it. Select > RtClick >Refresh didn't help.

Regards,
GEWB

I find I have to open (mount) my NTFS drives with a file explorer after a reboot before Aftershot can see the files, twas scary first time it happened.
Pentax and Ricoh for Ever!

I love Linux!!

It's wet in Wales, always.
gewb

Post by gewb »

nick-in-wales wrote:
gewb wrote:I loaded the trial version in Linux Mint 17.3 hoping to get further away from Windows and Adobe.

Regards,
GEWB

I find I have to open (mount) my NTFS drives with a file explorer after a reboot before Aftershot can see the files, twas scary first time it happened.
Hello Nick -

Did that (pretty much SOP with any OS), still no joy.

Regards,
GEWB

(using Linux since 1999, Windows since 1988)
Dutchmm
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Post by Dutchmm »

Regards,
GEWB
I would expect the "foreign" file systems to be mounted at /media/gewb/ on Mint 17.3 - at least that is where they mount on my Mint boxes, and I have no recollection of having changed the defaults.
Kneops
motherboard: ASUS P8 Z68
processor: Intel i7 2600
Video Card: nVidia 450
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 14 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2713H & Spider4
Corel programs: ASP3

Post by Kneops »

@Greg

On the ASP Facebook page there are several Linux Mint 17.x users who report constant crashes when trying to open directories.
I use this version myself but haven't installed / bought the upgrade yet, because of these crashes.
onnoschmidt

Post by onnoschmidt »

alphadingo wrote:Fedora 23 on a macbook pro with no issues so far. Any plans for Hi-DPI support? Everything is so tiny. Also, open CL isn't seeing my nvidia card. Any way to fix that?
The underlying framework QT supports setting pixel per ratio to make aftershot a little more usable on hidpi screens.

Start aftershot with and many elements will appear bigger.
export QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=2;AfterShot3X64

Menu fonts are still small though.
gewb

Post by gewb »

Dutchmm wrote: I would expect the "foreign" file systems to be mounted at /media/gewb/ on Mint 17.3 - at least that is where they mount on my Mint boxes, and I have no recollection of having changed the defaults.
Thanks for your reply, it got me to thinking.

Both of my default installations of Mint have my drives mounted as /media so if ASP3 looks to /mnt it will not find anything. I have not found a setting or preference in ASP3 to change locations.

I'll try changing one of my test bed installations to locate the drives in /mnt or I might install a different distro when I have time.

Regards,
GEWB