AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
FalCT60
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

XMPs from Windows to Ubuntu

Post by FalCT60 »

Hello,

I'm currently facing something that puzzles me : my photos are on an external drive so I can read them either on my Windows XP desktop or my Ubuntu 14.04 laptop.
Both are running 2.1.2.10, though 32 bits on XP and 64 on 14.04, and on both I use catalogging, but the paths for the catalog are different for the two computers.
That stated, I cropped a photo under XP and checked that the XMP file had been created within the folder containing the photo.
Then I connected the drive to the ubuntu laptop and checked the file still was there, and finally opened the photo... which displayed full sized (not cropped).
I altered it, but from the ubuntu machine this time, checked that the XMP had been updated, brought it back to the desktop and... the photo still appears as it first was cropped there !
And, after deleting the XMP file, both the Windows and the Ubuntu machine still display their own cropped one.
How can this be, since the XMP lies in the folder near the photo itself ?
Am I going nuts ? Is it a normal behaviour when using catalogging ?

Regards,

J.-L.
Dutchmm
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Re: XMPs from Windows to Ubuntu

Post by Dutchmm »

Don't know for sure, but back in the mists of the 90s, there used to be a difference between UNIX and DOS in the codes for a line end in text files.
IIRC, for one it was CR LF, and for the other just LF. Again, from dusty memory 0x0a and 0x0d versus 0x0d.
There were programs in the utilities packages on both systems to make the necessary changes: ux2dos and dos2ux.
Now, far be it from me to suspect that anyone would have set up their compile systems with different and incompatible macros .....
afx
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

The XMPs use UNIX line ends, no matter what OS. Just like AS uses / internally as a path separator ;-)

Try the whole thing in file system mode without the catalogs.
I regularly do a first culling and keywording run on Linux and then copy things over to a Windows box. The XMPs work just fine.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
FalCT60

Post by FalCT60 »

afx wrote:Try the whole thing in file system mode without the catalogs.
So, it might just be because of the catalog itself ?
afx wrote:I regularly do a first culling and keywording run on Linux and then copy things over to a Windows box. The XMPs work just fine.
Yes, but in my case, I just bring the disk from a computer to another, the photos are common to both, only the cache and catalog are not common.

Edit :
Yes, within file system mode it works perfectly.
So, this means that the catalogue as well must be common for both environments ?

2nd EDIT :
The catalog can't be common, due to file namming differences :
Windows says G:\Photos\NEF\
Ubuntu says : /media/jean-luc/1.8 To/Photos/NEF/
So even if I open under Ubuntu the catalog that XP created on G:\AfterShot\Catalogue\, it will never find /Catalogue/assets/G/Photos/NEF/ though it will display the thumbnails from /Catalogue.

Did I miss something ?

Regards,

J.-L.
FalCT60

Post by FalCT60 »

Hello,
I thought I could manage this using relative paths, and tried to follow the online help indications, but I didn't understand the way to achieve this at all.
I feel like the help lacks some informations.
I'm going to open a new topic for this.
Regards,
J.-L.