AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
bcoley
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Still trying to figure out the ASP2 molasses

Post by bcoley »

Hi,

I am still haunted by a hideously slow ASP2 installation. I've explored various explanations in another thread, for this thread I want to make sure I've got a good clean installation.

When I used Revo Unistaller Pro to delete the program before installing the latest update, Revo again reported overlapping directories between AS2 and ASP2. AND, after installing the program, both the Help menu and the title bar of the application report the name being AfterShot 2, NOT AfterShot Pro 2.

I was careful to download the correct file. I was careful to completely uninstall all remnants of the previous installation. I was careful to install the correctly downloaded file. YET, Revo and the application report an identity different from what I expect.

What SHOULD the Help menu "About..." report? Mine says "About AfterShot 2..." but then the splash screen that results when I click that line reports AfterShot Pro 2. The serial number on my Corel account list of registered products says AfterShot Pro 2.

My Help menu includes an option to "Unlock AfterShot 2..." whose resulting window thanks me for purchasing "AfterShot 2," not AfterShot Pro 2.

Are the conflicts I report here an issue of any significance, or is this common to all installation?

One other matter: Immediately after installing the new update, the program opened in the last image folder I worked in before uninstalling the info, a folder that is NOT the default image folder for the program. With Revo uninstalling every remnant of the program before I installed the upgrade, should the new version open to a previous image folder?

Many thanks!
Bill Coley
afx
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Re: Still trying to figure out the ASP2 molasses

Post by afx »

bcoley wrote:When I used Revo Unistaller Pro to delete the program before installing the latest update, Revo again reported overlapping directories between AS2 and ASP2.
Of course. it is exactly the same code, only your license makes a difference.
AND, after installing the program, both the Help menu and the title bar of the application report the name being AfterShot 2, NOT AfterShot Pro 2.
What does the splash screen (Help->About) report, that is the only relevant place.
What SHOULD the Help menu "About..." report? Mine says "About AfterShot 2..." but then the splash screen that results when I click that line reports AfterShot Pro 2. The serial number on my Corel account list of registered products says AfterShot Pro 2.
Correct...
Are the conflicts I report here an issue of any significance, or is this common to all installation?
Completely irrelevant....
One other matter: Immediately after installing the new update, the program opened in the last image folder I worked in before uninstalling the info, a folder that is NOT the default image folder for the program. With Revo uninstalling every remnant of the program before I installed the upgrade, should the new version open to a previous image folder?
Guess the Uninstaller is clueless ;-)
The last directory opened is stored in a Qt registry entry on Windows machines. It has nothing to do with the installation but is part of the user specifics.

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
bcoley

Post by bcoley »

Thanks for the very helpful reply!

It doesn't get me any closer to understanding why my installation is SO FREAKING SLUGGISH!!! But it does stop me from concerning myself with irrelevancies, and that's a great outcome. Thank you.
afx

Post by afx »

I've used 2.2. last night on my quad i7 Linux laptop for a first culling session where I also set some crops. Using 14bit compressed NEFs from a D750 (24MP).
Switch time between images was sluggish compared to my desktop. So the typical disk drive in laptop seems to be quite limiting (can't get an SSD in there, this is my company machine).

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
bcoley

Post by bcoley »

afx wrote:I've used 2.2. last night on my quad i7 Linux laptop for a first culling session where I also set some crops. Using 14bit compressed NEFs from a D750 (24MP).
Switch time between images was sluggish compared to my desktop. So the typical disk drive in laptop seems to be quite limiting (can't get an SSD in there, this is my company machine).

cheers
afx
Thanks for the additional info!

I use ASP2 on two desktop installations, one in which I have experienced no speed changes whatsoever since installing the program, and one which suddenly in early March and ever since, despite a new Windows user account, 12 GB of additional RAM, and multiple thorough uninstall/reinstall operations, has run like molasses in the middle of winter, more and more so the longer the program stays open. (FWIW, tracking memory usage gives no evidence of a memory leak).

I have "concluded" various things were the culprit - most recently the existence of XMP files in the current folder - but none of those things has proven to be the cause. I don't know what IS the real cause, but I know it's not a memory leak or the presence of XMP files in a folder.

The closest thing to an explanation that has yet to be vetoed is a message I have received when opening ASP2 - I think twice, but I'm not sure - of a corrupted file, asking me whether I wanted to resume or cancel the operation. I know I canceled the operation the last time I got that message, but it seems to me that I might have asked the machine to resume the first time I got it. The first message happened before I created a new user account. The second one (in which I canceled the operation) happened before the most recent series of reinstallations.

For testing purposes I just created a folder with three 14bit NEF files and no XMP files. Even with just three files, within a minute or two it takes more than ten seconds to replace the image in the main window with a different image. On my other installation, the change between those images would be instantaneous, even with 100 files in the folder.

Very, very frustrating. I'm thinking my only options are a Windows reinstall or a new PC. Not crazy about a Windows reinstall.

Thanks again for your help.
afx

Post by afx »

There are tools in the sysinternals suite that can monitor system calls. It might be an idea to run that and see whether AS loops over something.

In your 3 files experiment, does it make a difference when you delete the cache?

cheers
afx
FalCT60
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Post by FalCT60 »

bcoley wrote:.../...
AND, after installing the program, both the Help menu and the title bar of the application report the name being AfterShot 2, NOT AfterShot Pro 2.
This is normal : since a few versions, the name was changed from AfterShot Pro 2 to AfterShot 2.
It took me some time to realize that.
Next, I intend to deleted everything related to AfterShot Pro to avoid further confusion with search results.

Rgds,

J.-L.
bcoley

Post by bcoley »

Good news!

After months of VERY sluggish ASP2 performance, the program is finally working normally again. The culprit was a PC system optimizer and antivirus program that over time had been the subject of so many updates that it finally messed with Mozilla Thunderbird's ability to process email. Antivirus programs were the principal suspect I found in most online troubleshooting posts that depicted the issues I was having with Thunderbird, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the antivirus program. Once I did that, not only did Thunderbird run correctly again, but so did ASP2 - full speed.. and actually probably a bit faster now than before since I now have 18GB of RAM rather than 6GB.

THANK YOU to all who posted responses to my issues.

Bill

EDIT: More specifically, the problem in my installation was a feature known as "Real-time Protection." When RTP is on, ASP2 runs like molasses. When RTP is off, ASP2 works perfectly. Unfortunately, RTP is the virus and malware defender in the System Mechanic suite. I have submitted a support ticket to System Mechanic's tech team in hopes that something can be done. If nothing else, I can disable RTP when I'm working on ASP2, then enable it all other times.

p.s. I've also posted this in the "Sluggish Performance..." thread where I debuted my ASP2 issues.