ram: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
sound_card: High Definition Audio Device [5x]
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 12 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ G2400W 24,0" + Acer X203H 19,9"
Corel programs: ASP

[Suggestion] Grad Filter Plugin & Grad Layer Tool

Post by Arnfinn »

The latest ASP upgrade to 2.2 has revealed very clearly how dependant ASP is on it's very popular plugins. The Grad Filter Plugin as such is one of the most used plugins that's been available for ASP. Sadly it seems to have been abandoned and discontinued by the developer, which has frustrated many of ASP's users. Corel needs to maintain the many users with some form of backwards compatibility for all images edited with that plugin, and also make a new innovative tool that will surpass all the limitations of that plugin.

1. Grad Filter Plugin - (with backwards compatibility)
A simple but very useful plugin that's very handy to have in the ajustment/editing process.

Pros
  • - Ease of use
    - Similiar to a photographic ND filter
Cons
  • - 3rd party plugin (not an internal function)
    - Unreliable upgrades (if any?)
    - Limited to gradient darkening or lighten with option for color
Conclusion
The Grad Filter Plugin has been one of the most popular plugins of ASP, and many users have a large quantity of images edited with that tool. Corel should, if the plugin isn't updated, provide a tool/function that's backwards compatible to rescue all the images where that tool has been applied to.

2. Gradient tool for layers (next generation tool)
A gradient tool for layers will remove all the shortcomings of the Grad Filter Plugin. In many cases I find the plugin very limiting on my work. Often I would like to do more things to the sky than simple darkening (or lightening) allows me to do. For instance add more contrast, to enhance the structure of clouds, while darkening and adding vibrance to the blue colors. If I could use all the different functions and plugins that ASP has available in a gradient layer, I could do almost everything and more within the gradient selection without affecting the rest of the image. Everything is possible. The Bez filter for expaple chould control the sky and contrast in clouds perfectly, while the Color Equalizer plugin could work wonders on the blue shades.
ASP is in desperate need for a good gradient feature. The 3rd party gradient plugin has it's limitations, but the layer technology that ASP already has present should be the perfect match for a gradient layer filter.
Some people has suggested a workaround where you select a region and apply a big radius to simulate a gradient filter. This isn't a good solution for many types of images as the radius is very limited and it lacks the quick and handy controls as the Grad Filter Plugin has.
A gradient layer tool will also be a good answer to ASP's competitors, like Lightroom and others, and will elevate ASP towards it's competition...
  • + A Gradient Tool for Layers should be accessible from the Layers Panel, where you could select +Adjust, +Heal/Clone, or +Gradient
    + When the Gradient Layer Tool is selected, the controls in the bottom of the panel should be expandable with a similiar set of sliders that is present in the Grad Filter Plugin, where you can select 1. "Show Effect" / select "Proofing Color", 2. Strength, 3. Edge, 4. Offset, 5. Rotation
    + There should also have been options for different gradient types (drop down menu with different gradient curve profile); A default gradient, and a possible negative grad filter like this from Singh Ray http://www.singh-ray.com/shop/daryl-ben ... y-filters/ (If we could have the default profile, different optional profiles might come on a later stage, but I included this as an idea...)
    + Possibility to have/store starter presets (factory made or custom) from a dropdown menu within the Layer Gradient Tool without the need for making presets in the preset menu.
Pros
  • - Should be as easy to use as the Grad Filter Plugin.
    - Can use all functions and plugins, just as you can with a normal layer selection.
    - Unlimited gradients/layers.
Cons
  • - Can't see any...
Conclusion
Adobe has had gradient ajustment functionality in Lightroom for ages. Corel has relied fully on a 3rd party plugin (a remnant from the Bibble days) that now seems to have been abandoned and discontinued. This has the latest 2.2 update so clearly revealed, where all plugins had to be reworked and recompiled to function. The most popular functions should have been secured and incorporated into the main product
ASP has many other good selection tools for layers, so why not have one for gradient selections? I guess that almost every photographer will need or praise a gradient selection/ajustment tool that allows for options in stead of limitations. I can't believe it could be so much more difficult to implement than the tools already present for selections in layers. ASP should be in the forefront in raw image conversion and image editing, and such a tool would definately give ASP the edge it needs to claim it's competitive position...
Long time AfterShot Pro & Bibble user...
http://creativewithlight.com/
Dutchmm
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Re: [Suggestion] Grad Filter Plugin & Grad Layer Tool

Post by Dutchmm »

I like this idea because I should prefer to continue to use ASP as my only workflow tool.

Someone (Spoilerhead?) asked for blending, too, in the run-up to the announcement of 2.2; and I have a feeling that your Gradient Layers would be a step in that direction. As attractive to us as that might be, doesn't Corel have other products that already support these features?
Hobgoblin

Post by Hobgoblin »

+1
avant

Post by avant »

+1
Arnfinn
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58 Rev 1.xx
processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 960 3.20GHz 3.20GHz

Post by Arnfinn »

Dutchmm wrote:I like this idea because I should prefer to continue to use ASP as my only workflow tool.

Someone (Spoilerhead?) asked for blending, too, in the run-up to the announcement of 2.2; and I have a feeling that your Gradient Layers would be a step in that direction. As attractive to us as that might be, doesn't Corel have other products that already support these features?
We have different region tools for Ajustment Layers with controls for feather and size, but we lack a layer tool with the benefits and simplicity of the Grad Filter. With the algorithms and technology Corel already posess for layers, they have everything needed to make this tool. My guess is that with the latest Qt framework upgrade, the Corel dev team is ready to code this, and my hope is that it will be a valuable part of ASP very soon. Actually, they need this kind of functionality to attract a larger customer base. ASP's biggest competitor, Lightroom has had a similiar gradient tool for ages...
LViatour
motherboard: clevo
processor: 3930
ram: 32GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970M
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4500
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 18 Clevo

Post by LViatour »

+1
My Website - Corporate - Wedding
- My material

Luc Viatour - Photographe
TheDude
motherboard: ASRock Z77
processor: Intel i7 quad core
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: saphire hd 5450 2xdvi
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Eizo S2410W & S2431W, calibrated with i1d2

Post by TheDude »

Arnfinn wrote: + A Gradient Tool for Layers should be accessible from the Layers Panel, where you could select +Adjust, +Heal/Clone, or +Gradient
So, this basically sounds like you intent to introduce a new type of layer beside Adjustment layers and heal/clone layers?
If this is the case: Did you consider the alternative of implementing the gradient as a new type of region for adjustment layers next to circle, polygon, curve and brush? That is where I would expect a gradient. And I would expect it to be combinable with the other region types. For example: darken the sky in a landscape with a gradient and substract a brush region to exclude the top of a mountain from the darkening effect.
-cr

Post by -cr »

+1
Arnfinn
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58 Rev 1.xx
processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 960 3.20GHz 3.20GHz

Post by Arnfinn »

TheDude wrote:
Arnfinn wrote: + A Gradient Tool for Layers should be accessible from the Layers Panel, where you could select +Adjust, +Heal/Clone, or +Gradient
So, this basically sounds like you intent to introduce a new type of layer beside Adjustment layers and heal/clone layers?
If this is the case: Did you consider the alternative of implementing the gradient as a new type of region for adjustment layers next to circle, polygon, curve and brush? That is where I would expect a gradient. And I would expect it to be combinable with the other region types. For example: darken the sky in a landscape with a gradient and substract a brush region to exclude the top of a mountain from the darkening effect.
Yes that was the idea :D It would use the same technology we already have for layers, but with the controls and simplicity of the Grad Filter plugin. It should be easy to set, ajust and tweak as you want, but at the same time allow everything we can do for layers, including using plugins, presets and also as you mention; add and subrtact with the other tools already available for layers/regions...
TheDude
motherboard: ASRock Z77
processor: Intel i7 quad core
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: saphire hd 5450 2xdvi
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Eizo S2410W & S2431W, calibrated with i1d2

Post by TheDude »

Arnfinn wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Yes that was the idea :D It would use the same technology we already have for layers, but...
Fine! Then I agree! Maybe you should specify this more precisely in your proposal :wink:
jknights
operating_system: Mac
motherboard: Apple
processor: Intel 3.08GHz Dual processor Quad Core
ram: 24GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600
sound_card: Intel HDA
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Apple Display

Post by jknights »

+1
Especially if Roger Barnes is not going to recompile the GradPro plugin.
Still learning after all these years!
LViatour

Post by LViatour »

I switched to darktable recent weeks, and I have the opportunity to make several shades of color the better than the paid version of ASP plugins. Yet darktable is free and open software, it is not normal that this is not saying this in a software-either pro and paying!
- My material

LViatour

Post by LViatour »

jknights wrote:+1
Especially if Roger Barnes is not going to recompile the GradPro plugin.
I switched to darktable recent weeks, and I have the opportunity to make several shades of color the better than the paid version of ASP plugins. Yet darktable is free and open software, it is not normal that this is not saying this in a software-either pro and paying!
- My material

kumsa
motherboard: Dell Vostro V131
processor: i5 2.4 Ghz
ram: 8 G
Video Card: Nvidia
sound_card: Dell Laptop
Hard_Drive_Capacity: Terabytes
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2312HM, Acer

Post by kumsa »

The GradFilter Pro plugin is tremendously effective, and it's why I keep a 32-bit version that can run it. Sadly, for much of the work that I do, the filter is a necessity. I personally don't care whether the solution is an update from Roger Barnes, or if ASP2+ puts in a core enhancement. Working without a graduated filter is not an option.
Dutchmm
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Post by Dutchmm »

Working without a graduated filter is not an option.
+1