ASP 2.0 with Canon 6D

AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
rk225
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

ASP 2.0 with Canon 6D

Post by rk225 »

ASP 2 is not rendering Canon 6D raw correctly. The raw appears a lots darker with grain. The jpeg show fine. I did not realize it till I opened the raw with Canon's DPP. In DPP the raw and jpeg are very close.
kumsa
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
motherboard: Dell Vostro V131
processor: i5 2.4 Ghz
ram: 8 G
Video Card: Nvidia
sound_card: Dell Laptop
Hard_Drive_Capacity: Terabytes
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2312HM, Acer

Re: ASP 2.0 with Canon 6D

Post by kumsa »

Hm. I shoot RAW + JPG on my 6D (awesome camera) and I'm not seeing much difference (I'm assuming you have the latest release of ASP2). I wonder what JPG defaults you have set on the 6D
rk225

Post by rk225 »

I am using whatever defaults ASP 2 has set for jpeg. The comparison is most obvious for indoor shots or low light. DPP renders raws with less noise and so they appear more natural. I tested the same raw image in both DPP and ASP 2. Maybe DPP being a Canon product renders Canon raw better than other software. Anyway, I will now use DPP more.
spoilerhead
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 13.5TB

Post by spoilerhead »

check if you have "Highlight tone priority" enabled in the cameras settings. What this function essentially does is underexpose intentionally by 1 stop and then push it back when processing. DPP does this automagically, I guess ASP doesn't.
my ASP Plugins - donation button ( send beer! :) )
linux,7d, glass and a huge mug of coffee.
If you got any immediate problems with my plugins, don't by shy on contact me on GoogleTalk.
rk225

Post by rk225 »

Turning the "Highlight tone priority" off does bring about some parity in exposure. But, the noise levels in ASP 2 are much higher than DPP. I like the UI of ASP 2, but I am using DPP 4 now as it renders Canon RAWs much better. Maybe if Corel updates ASP with improved rendering in future I will start using it again.