processor: Intel 3.08GHz Dual processor Quad Core
ram: 24GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1600
sound_card: Intel HDA
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Apple Display

Re: They're working on something ...

Post by jknights »

lathspell wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned before. It starts with some marketing phrases but ends with a little information about what they (AMD + Corel) are working on: http://web.amd.com/assets/CustomerRefer ... 202014.pdf

Now I'm confused whether I have to buy an AMD based computer/GPU/whatever thingy just to get i.e. the new Local Contrast feature in ASP2 (if it ever makes it into the real world) ...

ETA: Ok, that paper is saying quite the same (and a little bit more) like the January video featuring Rick Champagne shown on facebook ...
I read the paper.

It seems that the reworking of ASP code for v2 will focus around providing or maintaining the speed advantage that Bibble RAW processing was always famed for.
This is very important these days as the size of the images delivered by cameras for processing is even more significant. So making sure that OpenCL is fully optimised and exploited will give ASP advantage.
They do seem to be making progress but as I cant see the degree of progress we can only wait if they dont tell us details of progress!

For me I only hope that the ASP SDK is not left behind as with the new RAW support and the increase in speed then I will be happy to use the v2 product.
I do hope that the work that the beta-testers group did for the GUI changes also get carried forward as this can only improve workflow and increase speed and ease of use.

All in all I can only say that I look forward to the new version for testing and real use. I hope they include RAW support for the Fuji X-Trans sensor as I have purchased into this system and use it with my Nikons.
Still learning after all these years!
txoni
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Post by txoni »

You might be interested on these slides (from Nov. 2013), which give a little bit more clues on how they manage to improve the app through AMD HSA.

http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD ... aelwootton

Thankfully the platform is said to still be compatible with Linux on the slides. But still HSA is in beta stage, and beta stack to be released for Linux in Q2 of 2014 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/7825/amd- ... -in-kaveri)
GlenBarrington
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
motherboard: Lenovo Ideacentre 30020ISH 90DA
processor: Intel Core i7 6700 3.4 GHz
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GEForce GT 730m
sound_card: RealTec the rest unknown
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP Pavilion 27 XW IPS
Corel programs: Corel PSP X8

Post by GlenBarrington »

Well, I'm pretty sure if that mythical V2 ever came out, I wouldn't buy it, at least not at the upgrade price at initial release. I don't think I would want to wait another four years for a V3 to come out. I'd buy it at $12 or something just to see what it is like, but I'd use something else as a workflow tool. At this point, I'd rather Corel just start to improve PSP X6. Maybe incorporate some of that Bibble technology into PSP. That seems to be the only product they actually care about, and any more, it's the only Corel product I care about.
awm03
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium

Post by awm03 »

I've come to the opposite conclusion: will wait for v2.

I've been playing with the free trial of Lightroom. There are a number of things about it that I don't like as much as the Corel products, but mainly I really don't care for it's much-vaunted photo management system, and the results aren't my cup of tea -- too color punchy, or the skin tones look cadaverous, or the whites are bland.
EOS
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Core i7-3930K
ram: 12GB
Video Card: Nvidia
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 2x Samsung SyncMaster 21 inch

Post by EOS »

awm03 wrote:I've come to the opposite conclusion: will wait for v2.

I've been playing with the free trial of Lightroom. There are a number of things about it that I don't like as much as the Corel products, but mainly I really don't care for it's much-vaunted photo management system, and the results aren't my cup of tea -- too color punchy, or the skin tones look cadaverous, or the whites are bland.
and if you can't wait.....
I moved in dec 2013 to Darktable and i'm GLAD that i did that!
it was off and on for a half year to find my way but now i'm able to make better pictures that i was done in AF.

now last month my EOS 5DII had water problems and is now dead
so i bought EOS 6D........ If YOU have this problem how can you solve it in AF ?

the bottom line for me is never again vendor-lock.
Bibble was the last software that was closed source!
VIM
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0G3HR7 A00
processor: 3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i5 680
ram: 16GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
sound_card: Creative SB X-Fi
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 10TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell ST2410

Post by VIM »

Just came back to this Forum to see how things are going with ASP. (Moved away from it long time ago: I need quality RAW development and ASP 1 is simply not good enough... and later on it didn't hold me back to buy a camera that is not supported.)
I read exactly the same comments and company feedback as in the Bibble days: we'll have to wait for serious updates until our hair falls out (if it hasn't already).
Never expected that to happen when Corel took over Bibble.
Everything I read here does confirm that I made the correct decision: bye bye ASP.
Good luck to the believers! :cry:
peteln
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Magic-pro
processor: AM64x2
ram: 3GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX275
sound_card: on board
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung

Post by peteln »

I received very conflicting message from Corel and from this board.

Corel says they're working on something and "coming in May", but appraently its beta tester(s) is/are complaining about having nothing to test. If both are true, does it mean that something not thoroughtly tested or not test at all will be released soon but requires another two or three years to perfect or superscded by something else?
afx
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

peteln wrote:... but appraently its beta tester(s) is/are complaining about having nothing to test.
Where and when did you get that?

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
peteln
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Magic-pro
processor: AM64x2
ram: 3GB
Video Card: Nvidia GTX275
sound_card: on board
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung

Post by peteln »

Another post in the board back in Mar...I suppose it was posted by a beta tester? :wink:
afx
Video Card: FirePro 4900
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC PA301w, ColorMunki

Post by afx »

March is so long ago ;-)

cheers
afx
Send bugs to the Monkey // AfterShot Kickstart Guide // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad
Bibble since 2005 // W7 64 on quad Phenom // Ubuntu 14.4 on quad i7 and dualcore AMD // Images
Dutchmm
motherboard: Asus 97
processor: Intel i7 4785T
Video Card: Onboard Intel
sound_card: Intel AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 28"
Corel programs: ASP 3 Pro (and 2 and 1 before)

Post by Dutchmm »

And when I asked recently about beta on the FB page for AS, there has been no invitation or indication that a beta is either planned or in progress.
Brainslug
processor: Intel Core i7-4900MQ
Video Card: Nvidia Quadro K1100M
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2713H

Post by Brainslug »

Where and when did you get that?
sounds like afx knows something we others don't..?...
Still, March to May would be a ridiculously short period of beta testing. Anyway, let's see what (if anything) they will come out with in May. I certainly won't give a single cent to Corel anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the ongoing hilarities... ;-)

Cheers!