AfterShot Pro General Questions & Getting Started Forum
brucet
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

Re: Answer from Corel

Post by brucet »

I started way back with Draw. I've been a Corel user for a long time. But I'm now in a holding pattern. My work needs to move on. Which means new cameras! At the moments Corels reluctance to release new support is holding me back.
BUT I spoke to a Corel person with a position that 'should' know what's happening. He assured me that Corel was aware they had issues with users. He also assured me that 'things' are happening behind the scene to address those issues. Now how long do I, and others, wait to see if his words prove to be true?

I'll wait a while. I take folks word as the truth. But there is a limit.

The thing is though that always using Corel products make it hard to jump ship. But if I have to jump I will.

regards
TheDude
operating_system: Linux
System_Drive: N/A
motherboard: ASRock Z77
processor: Intel i7 quad core
ram: 32 GB
Video Card: saphire hd 5450 2xdvi
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Eizo S2410W & S2431W, calibrated with i1d2

Post by TheDude »

brucet wrote:... a Corel person with a position that 'should' know what's happening. He assured me that Corel was aware they had issues with users.
Problems with users is one aspect... Affronting plug-in developers is another huge part of the problem. It were the the really cool plug-ins like Bez, wavelet sharpen or zPerspective (and many more), which made Bibble/ASP useful for me. The basic feature set was not really sufficient in my opinion.
It seems, Corel is not even able to keep a simple web server running (plug-in page)?

Maybe we should launch an initiative: "Free ASP! Make it Open-Source!"
AsterixEtObelix
motherboard: Debian squeeze 64
processor: Intel

Post by AsterixEtObelix »

TheDude wrote:
Maybe we should launch an initiative: "Free ASP! Make it Open-Source!"
If only it could be true ...
TheDude

Post by TheDude »

AsterixEtObelix wrote: If only it could be true ...
well... lightzone has been freed http://lightzoneproject.org/ :wink:
mick232

Post by mick232 »

TheDude wrote:
AsterixEtObelix wrote: If only it could be true ...
well... lightzone has been freed http://lightzoneproject.org/ :wink:
And the benfit of that is what exactly? There aren't even any new binaries yet several months after open-sourcing the original code and to use the program you need to install color mapping files. If you follow the link where to download them, you will find that these files are totally out of date, just like Aftershot Pro. No Sony A99, no RX1, no A58. I find it odd to blame Corel for not releasing updates while at the same time praising an open-source project for doing exactly the same.
TheDude

Post by TheDude »

mick232 wrote:And the benfit of that is what exactly?
It's a fair chance, that a good software comes back. That's a lot better, than burying such a good software in the code repositories of companies.
mick232 wrote:I find it odd to blame Corel for not releasing updates while at the same time praising an open-source project for doing exactly the same.
It takes a while for the devoloper community to find their way through the code. That's not a trivial task, as you can see in ASP as well. But Corel actually had a team of developers, skilled to develop ASP... For whatever reason Corel fired these developers and spent a lot of time in usesless openCL implementations. Moreover Corel's developers (if they have some :? ) are probably payed for their work and can spend at least 8h of a day to improve ASP. Lightzone developers probably develop LZ their free time. However, open source requires participation. So if you think the lightezone developers are too slow or too lazy, offer your programming skills or money to push the project forward.
AsterixEtObelix
motherboard: Debian squeeze 64
processor: Intel

Post by AsterixEtObelix »

mick232 wrote: There aren't even any new binaries yet several months after open-sourcing the original code and to use the program you need to install color mapping files. If you follow the link where to download them, you will find that these files are totally out of date,
I think you missed something - i knew since some weeks that lightzone came back as open sources see my post here and thats brain new!

More before publishing the code they had to deal with a lot of legal reason - that s why it took time, but I am sure than this will change ;)
Blrfl

Post by Blrfl »

mick232 wrote:And the benfit of that is what exactly?
The benefit is that if you use the package and there's an itch you need scratched badly enough, you have the option of scratching it yourself or, if you don't have the necessary skills, hiring someone to do it for you.

--Mark
Trucks
motherboard: 64bit
processor: quad
ram: 3GB
Video Card: Nvidia
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Eizo S2243 W

Post by Trucks »

Hi,

seems that somebody is not amused about Corels ASP politics. If somebody here has an facebook acount. Look at the Corel page.

Trucks
SteveCase
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4
processor: AMD FX-8350
ram: 16.0 GB
Video Card: GTX 550ti

Post by SteveCase »

Trucks wrote:Hi,

seems that somebody is not amused about Corels ASP politics. If somebody here has an facebook acount. Look at the Corel page.

Trucks
Wow! They do support through Facebook????
Wonder what they will do if FB ever goes away or starts charging commercial accounts? :roll:
Steve in Seattle,WA
Trucks
motherboard: 64bit
processor: quad
ram: 3GB
Video Card: Nvidia
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Eizo S2243 W

Post by Trucks »

Let the support die?
dzemski
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional

Post by dzemski »

taken from http://lightzoneproject.org/:

Public release very soon!
Submitted by tex on Sat, 04/13/2013 - 09:30

Our beta testers have begun a second round of beta testing with a new distribution for Windows. We think this means that we are very close to a public release of the Windows version. So far no significant bugs have been found---extremely good news. As soon as we can we will also begin the Linux beta testing on Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. We have one issue that is being checked this week, and once we have that nailed down we'll start that beta testing. Exciting times for us!
ゼムスキ エミル
Olympus E300, Olympus E3, Olympus E-PL5, Lumix LX3, Nikon D7000
df
operating_system: Windows 10
processor: 2.6 Ghz i7-6700HQ
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 960M
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 Tb

Post by df »

SteveCase wrote:
Trucks wrote:Hi,

Trucks
Wow! They do support through Facebook????
Wonder what they will do if FB ever goes away or starts charging commercial accounts? :roll:
It's probably less about Corel doing "support through facebook" and more about Corel counting on facebook as part of their advertising and having people pop up with problems that don't get solved probably doesn't look to good. On the other hand if people's problems get solved quickly and those same people post about how helpful they were it looks rather good and Corel can repost/share the positive experiences.

Then again maybe I'm/we're reading to much into things.
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."