motherboard: dell inc. 800 mhz
processor: 3 gig intel pentium 4
ram: 2gb
Video Card: ati radeon hd 5500 series
sound_card: ati high definition audio device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 105 gb

producing best of compilations

Post by gazagolf »

Firstly, i must state that i am a complete novice at video editing and producing dvd's. Also i am using a trial version of Digital Studio 2010
I have approximately 100 music dvd's (all live concerts). I wish to produce some best of compilations of my favorite songs.
As each of the original dvd's is recorded at a different volume level, is it possible to equalise (normalise) the volume level when i put together my best of compilation,
Also when i import the original dvd the program itemises each song (which is great) and saves them as mpg files, i then edit each song by removing the talking and other items at each end of the clip, and then the program saves it as a vsx file, Can this new vsx file be reconverted back to a mpg file?
Hopefully someone can give me some simple instructions on the best way to go about what i want to achieve
Ron P.
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Re: producing best of compilations

Post by Ron P. »

Welcome to the forums,

With most all NLE's (non-linear editing) programs, they are non-destructive, they do not alter your original source files. You work on a "vitrual" environment. The clips you see within the program itself, are just thumbnail links to your original source clips. The program uses a project file, in your case they have the extension of VSX. These are just instructions for the program, not video, audio or image files. When you elect to Save or Save as which are located to the left of Exit and Output, you are saving the project file, not a video file. In order to save any changes, you must first render your project to a new video or audio file. This is generally done as the final step in the program.

In VS 2010 you first select Output, which then opens the Output Movie window, that has several options, one being File. This will create a video file from your project. In the next window, Save as video file, you need to provide a name for your video file, then select the location on your computer to save that file to, and under the Options, determine what you want to do with your video as the end result. If you're wanting to burn a video DVD, then select the MPEG2 options (which I think is the default). You will see below that the Video Quality, which should be DVD Compatible-Best quality. With this quality option you can choose a lesser quality, which lowers the bitrate. This is for videos that may be longer than 1 hour. Once those are set, click Save to save your movie. It should produce an DVD Compatible MPEG-2 video file, at the location on your computer you designated.

To burn a DVD you would use that DVD Compatible MPEG-2 video file. Now how Digital Studio 2010 does this next part may be totally different. I'm going through this by using the VS 2010 Express that comes with VS Pro X3. I would then close VS 2010, and launch DVD Factory 2010. You should see what looks like the organizer for VS 2010, and for all practical purposes, probably is. There are a few differences, like the program header name in the upper left corner. Anyway, in the organizer, locate the newly created MPEG-2 video file, and place it in the Media Tray. I would then select Create Video Disc from the menu across the top. The next step would be to select a menu template, then Menu editing, and so on.

Hopefully that helps out. Since you're just trying this out, I would strongly encourage you to download the trial to VS Pro X3. It is much, much better program than Digital Studio. With it you get a much better DVD authoring program, DVD MovieFactory 7SE. Corel provides this to registered owners of VS Pro X3, as a replacement to the terrible DVD Factory 2010. If by some chance you're one of few that really like Digital Studio or VS 2010, with VS X3 you still have access to VS 2010, and DVD Factory 2010, but you get a much more intuitive video editor, miles ahead of VS 2010.

We have some video tutorials in our Tutorials Forums. Most of them apply to VS X3, however as I stated VS 2010 (Express) and DVD Factory 2010 are part of VS X3 so they are also discussed in tutorials. Here's a couple of links to those in our tutorial forum. Many of these tutorials can be accessed through the Corel Guide of the program.
DVD Factory 2010
Easy Edit, VS 2010
Just scroll on down in that topic for other video tutorials that are applicable to DVD Factory 2010 and VS 2010 (Easy Edit for VS X3).
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator