motherboard: Aleinware A05
processor: 2.93 Gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
ram: 6GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
sound_card: IDT Hign Definition Audio CODEC
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Slideshows Backup Restore Corel Digital Studio 2010

Post by wchap »

I am using Corel Paintshop Photo 2010 to create a slide show (which saves things under Corel Digital Studio 2010).

After creating my slide show project (with titles), I can backup the slide show photos to a DVD (and they in the order is which I moved them to). .

I can see under my USER documents for the slide show with two files with file extensions of vsp and vst. I can back up those files to a CD.

If I loose by C: drive. How can I restore the project slide show with the photos and their related titles? Are there any other files needed to restore the slide show to its original state?

wchap
Ron P.
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Re: Slideshows Backup Restore Corel Digital Studio 2010

Post by Ron P. »

I'm not sure on how PSPP treats those files, which are actually VideoStudio files. The VSP is a videostudio project file, and a simple description would be it's like a text file, containing instructions for the program. It will tell the program what clips, images, audio are being used, where those files are located on your system, the editing you want done, ect. So just backing up or moving those files is not enough. You must also keep all clips, images, audio, that you used with that project, together or in the same place as that VSP file. VS X2 and VS X3 both have a nice feature called Smart Package, which gathers all the clips used in a project, and copies them into a folder along with the project file.

So my suggestion is to create a folder, name it the same as your project, and then copy all the images, video, audio, used in that project, into that folder. Then backup that folder. VST I think is for templates, so I would copy that into the same folder.

Now with that said, if you have created a video slide-show of your project, on a DVD, that is a totally different story. Your slide-show is converted from single images to video, which is basically a series of images, that are duplicated and animated across numerous frames. The DVD must use a specific folder structure, called VIDEO_TS, that must contain, IFO, BUP, and VOB files. The VOB files are actually MPEG-2 video files with a little extra data. If you're referring to restoring from a video DVD, that will not be possible, as you can see you will not have single images.

So to restore, are you wanting to restore your project, which is the first paragraph above, or just wanting to use the video DVD again, to make additional copies? If you're wanting to restore your project so you can do further editing later, then you should do what I described in the first paragraph.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

I ran a test where I created a slideshow using the Project Creator that comes with PSPP X3. It did create a project file (VSP) and the VST file. I then opened the project file (VSP) in VS X3, and checked the properties for the images. It points to the location of those photos on my hard drive. So you will need to place copies of all those images in the same folder as the project file, and back it up so you can later restore it fully.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
wchap
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional

Post by wchap »

Ron P.

Thanks for the information you have provided. It appears that Corel does not really have a back system for slide shows that users create. Yes, they have a backup to disc for the photos used in a slide show. But without other needed information, seq and titles related information is lost. Only by "looking around" can you find the needed information and Corel provides no help for that at all.

Related to your comments. I do have a copy of the photos used in my slide show on disc (via Corel backup). I also have backed up the .vsp and .vst files related to the slide show. I used Corel PaintShop Photo 2010 to create my slide show. But without other needed files there is no real backup to my slide show. I do have Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 (thus also Corel Paintshop Project Creator). I did a test using CPSPC and it appears to use the same software that CPSPP. I have tried to look at the the .vsp and .vst files via windows, but it will not let me look at it. You stated that you used VS to look at these files. What is VS?

I am at a point that I can not use Corel products because if I lose my C: drive, I have no way to rebuild the slide show back to its original state from backup files. At this point I have gone to Windows DVD Maker and use PowerPoint to create my titles. I can back all this up easily, but I do not have the flexibility for more options for creating slide shows that Corel does.
wchap
operating_system: Windows 7 Professional

Post by wchap »

Ron P.

I did find Corel VideoStudio Pro X3. I do not have that product and I am reluctant to pay $60 for a product to make up for Corel's lack of backup capabilities in CPSP and CPSPC software.