Cannot find avi files on harddisk

danrc
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C

Cannot find avi files on harddisk

Post by danrc »

I have Corel video studio express 2010. I have already imported my avi files to my harddrive (not through Corel). How do I make the software find the files for editing? I have clicked through everything and cannot find anything that allows me to see the files.
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP
operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Re: Cannot find avi files on harddisk

Post by skier-hughes »

When importing files you just need to navigate to where the files were saved and import.
If you don't see the files where they should be, check you have the right file type selected in the file type box for importation, or use all files.

If this doesn't help, be more specific with how you are trying to find the files, what you do and what happens when you do this.
Ron P.
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

In VS 2010/Express you first go to Import, which opens a new window. Along the left side you should see your drives, and various folders. You need to place a check in the boxes beside the folders that you want the program to look for your video, photos, and music files. Selecting a Main folder, like My Videos, VS Express will place a check in the boxes for all the subfolders. If you do not want the program to use all the subfolders, uncheck the box beside the Main (My VIdeos) folder, and check the box(es) beside the ones that you do. Once this is done VS will then look in all those places for the various files.
vs2010_import.png
vs2010_import.png (131.43 KiB) Viewed 16917 times
vs2010_organizer.png
vs2010_organizer.png (219.71 KiB) Viewed 16917 times
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
danrc

Post by danrc »

I've tried this and nothing is imported to the work area. Here are my specific steps:

I go to to the Import button and select My computer.
I go to the directory where the video clips (.avi) are stored and check the box.
I click the Start button in the lower right corner.
The screen refreshes and is empty.

I know the clips are not corrupted because I can play them in other players.
danrc

Post by danrc »

Any other advice on importing avi files? I have tried what was suggested and it did not work.
Ken Berry
Site Admin
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

You don't tell us what type of .avi you are handling. There are over 800 different formats of video which use the wrapper extension .avi. I have the suspicion you might be dealing with DivX or XVid, which in reality is highly compressed mpeg4, though calling itself avi. But it might be something completely different. But it will be important to have whatever codec is involved installed on your computer for video in that format to be recognised...
Ken Berry
danrc

Post by danrc »

Like I said previously, I can watch the videos in other software so clearly I have whatever codec I need to see them. I think I've wasted my money and enough time on this software already. I'll try to find something else that works or at least gives me an error message so I can figure out the problem which this software does not.
milano164
processor: AMD Athlon II X4 2.3Ghz
ram: 8gigs
Video Card: ATI 1GB2 DDR3 Radeon HD 5470
sound_card: THX TruStudio PC
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1920x1080

Post by milano164 »

I downloaded the trial version of Digital Studio 2010 the other day and noticed the same issue with seeing AVI type files. The software doesn't recognize the files at all.
Of course there are a number of AVI types as pointed out.

My daughter had given me her Flip to try and down load some of her files (I'd guess very compressed files). They play Ok on Windows Media player but not within Digital Studio.
I need to dig into this further. Other formats seem to work ok. I haven't used much video editing software besides for iMovie so this is a new experience.

I have a few other issues going on with Digital Studio, too, oddly in the Express Edit mode I can't play back the movie... it will play for about 3 seconds then stop showing the video image (sound still active and the player finished to the end but no video image) I am thinking my computer doesn't have the processing power. On the other hand, it is above the minimum requirements.
(Athlon II X4 2.3 ghz, 8 gigs mem, 1 gig mem on graphics card)

I like the interface it seems to have potential.

Steve
Ron P.
Site Admin
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Post by Ron P. »

Welcome to the forums Steve... :)

You actually like CDS 2010? At least you're trying it first, before committing to purchasing. I would strongly recommend you have a look at VS X3. It is many times better than CDS 2010. Plus if you do like CDS 2010, you still have a couple of those programs available with it, namely VS 2010 (called Easy Edit in VS X3) and DVD Factory 2010.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ ... bview=tab0
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

Post by skier-hughes »

danrc wrote:Like I said previously, I can watch the videos in other software so clearly I have whatever codec I need to see them. I think I've wasted my money and enough time on this software already. I'll try to find something else that works or at least gives me an error message so I can figure out the problem which this software does not.
Watching and editing are two completely different actions for programmes, so being able to watch in one programme does not mean you can edit in another.

If you are still trying :shock: maybe let us know which avi file type it is you are trying to import.
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

Post by skier-hughes »

milano164 wrote: My daughter had given me her Flip to try and down load some of her files (I'd guess very compressed files). They play Ok on Windows Media player but not within Digital Studio.
I need to dig into this further. Other formats seem to work ok. I haven't used much video editing software besides for iMovie so this is a new experience.

I have a few other issues going on with Digital Studio, too, oddly in the Express Edit mode I can't play back the movie... it will play for about 3 seconds then stop showing the video image (sound still active and the player finished to the end but no video image) I am thinking my computer doesn't have the processing power. On the other hand, it is above the minimum requirements.
(Athlon II X4 2.3 ghz, 8 gigs mem, 1 gig mem on graphics card)

I like the interface it seems to have potential.

Steve
The flip uses a form of mp4 video and aac audio, you might find it easier to convert these files to a hd wmv file type for ease of editing.
milano164
processor: AMD Athlon II X4 2.3Ghz
ram: 8gigs
Video Card: ATI 1GB2 DDR3 Radeon HD 5470
sound_card: THX TruStudio PC
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1920x1080

Post by milano164 »

- Of course that's what the trial is for... to see if you like it.

- I will try converting (this is an older Flip so it isn't HD files on this camera save under .AVI but I haven't read any details regarding this camera. It is just something somebody gave my son a few years ago but I never thought about editing the movies they made)

- Regarding the viewing/editing in the "Edit Express" window I just thought it was odd that it would play about 3-5 seconds then just go black. Of course the sound is still playing and the clip completes but no image. When I was using iMovie I could, once I edited my video, simply hit the play button and watch to see the effects I just changed. It seems like you're saying I'd have to leave the Corel package and watch the edits in another program.

Steve
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

Post by skier-hughes »

Maybe it's recording in a MOV format, which is an apple format and would work with imovie and not so well with VS.
Use a programme like Gspot or avicodec to tell you exactly which of the avi file types you are producing.
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/WebPages ... rammes.htm