motherboard: Sony Vaio Laptop
processor: Intel Duo Core P8400
ram: 3GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9300
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 160GB

VideoStudio Express 2010 & M-PEG4's

Post by sava1007 »

Just bought VS Express 2010 from BestBuy, and also downloaded the updates/patches. I specifically purchased this so I could manipulate MP4 files from my Flip camera, and create a DVD movie. However, it does not display or allow me to import any MP4's! Another curious thing, is it is only showing other file types (.WMV, .JPG, etc.) for 2008 & 2009 --- nothing from 2010...?

The file extensions are .mp4, I have selected the correct folder(s) in which these files reside (and click "Start"), but nothing is Imported. I also have the full and current version of all the Flip Share software installed on this computer (it's a fairly new 3GB ram, 2.26 CPU Sony Vaio laptop with Nividia video card, so I don't think it's anything hardware or codec related...)

Did I just get snookered for $29.95 by Best Buy on this purchase :cry: , or does VS Express 2010 really handle M-PEG4's like the specs on the box led me to believe...???

- Garry
DVDDoug

Re: VideoStudio Express 2010 & M-PEG4's

Post by DVDDoug »

There are MPEG-4 "variations" and come variations cause trouble with some software...

There are work-arounds, but I'd try to return the software since it doesn't work "as advertised". I believe you have that right in most jurisdictions even if there's a policy of "no returns on opened software".

When I run into a "problem format", I convert it to DVD-compatible MPEG-2 with SUPER (FREE!!!). But, for me it's an occasional thing... I'm not stuck with a camera & software that don't work together. :evil: (Maybe the software that came with the camera will allow yout to convert to a different format?)

I don't know much about the "Express" version, but it wouldn't cost you anything to download & try the trial version of Video Studio Pro. Before you buy ANY more software, I recommend you download the trial first! ;) There are too many audio/video formats & format variations, and the whole situation is a royal mess! :(
[size=92][i]Head over heels,
No time to think.
It's like the whole world's
Out of... sync.[/i]
- Head Over Heels, The Go-Gos.[/size]
dewald47
operating_system: Vista Home Basic
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Belarc Advisor
processor: Belarc Advisor
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Belarc Advisor
sound_card: Belarc Advisor
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320

Post by dewald47 »

I am having the same problem importing Flip files into Video StudioExpress 2010. Have you found a solution? I am desperate!

Thanks, Donna
Ken Berry
Site Admin
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Intel NUC7i7BNB J31145-306
processor: Core i7-7567U + 32 GB Optane
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Intel Iris Plus 650
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Kogan 32" 4K 3840 x 2160
Corel programs: VS 2020; PSP 2020; MS3D; ASP 3; DRAW 17

Post by Ken Berry »

You might want to look at this post from the Video Studio forum. I think it may help: http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php ... 01#p222801
Ken Berry
dewald47

Post by dewald47 »

I am not using X4. Will it still work if I'm using VideoStudio Express 2010?
Trevor Andrew

Post by Trevor Andrew »

Hi

The fix was indeed for Video Studio X4, it involved replacing two dll files from Gopro mp4 hotfix.zip

It is of course possible that Video Studio 2010 also uses the same files.

Do a search of your pc for H264VDec.dll and ulmp4lib.dll

Corel are providing files compatible for GoPro HD.

Quick time
What version of Quick Time are you using, try updating QT to the latest version

Your Profile
You have taken the time to update your profile to include your PC spec, however you have input Belarc Advisor.
Can you please input the correct data, thanks
dewald47

Post by dewald47 »

My Quick Time version is 7.5.5. Is that the latest version?? The weirdest thing about this problem is that a while ago I was able to import MPEG-4 files from my son't Flip camera. I still can import those files. I just cannot import any "new" files. Isn't that weird?
Trevor Andrew

Post by Trevor Andrew »

Hi

Yep that’s strange but would suggest that something has changes on your PC.
Have you installed other editing software, have you installed any Codec Packs, not recommended.

QT 7.5 5 is installed when installing Video Studio X4, so I suppose VS Express 2010 may do the same.

However it is not the latest version, (that’s 7.7 ….) run QT Player and from Help select “update existing software”
You will be prompted to install I-Tunes, that’s your decision, personally I don’t use it.