Creating a Video Editing Profile.

Before creating a post please read these guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderator: Ken Berry

jahmarvin

Post by jahmarvin »

thanks for your feedback andy

bless
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

The benefits of creating a dedicated user profile will vary between one user and another. If two people went out and bought an identical computer, 6 months later they would be totally different machines.

One user would install various bits of software that the other did not.
The other user would install various bits of software that the first one didn't.

Even little simple things such as the order that software was installed can make a difference, e.g. Install Video Studio first then MediaStudio OR Install MediaStudio first then VideoStudio.

The users will use their machines differently, one may do a lot of video related work which uses a lot of hard drive space. The constant creation of video files and then deleting them to make way for new ones will affect the fragmentation of the drives, plus how things get arranged.

Different users will plug in different bits and pieces (peripherals) such as blue tooth devices, wireless keyboards and so on.

The benefit of a dedicated profile for things like Video Editing or Game Play help to reduce the number of possible conflicts caused by software that clashes with each other, reduces the amount of RAM being used by background processes and also allows the processor to concentrate more on the job in hand - again not wasting time and effort on background processes.

You can use software such as EndItAll to perform similar benefits afforded by a special profile. There are other methods that can also be adopted such as a dual boot system where the other system was specifically created with a certain task in mind and only the necessary software for that task being installed.

No one will claim that one method is better than another - I certainly do not. The Dedicated 'Video Editing Profile' is simply another choice that is made available to our forum members to use or disregard as they see fit.

I have at the start of this topic published screen shots showing a Before and After comparison. You must make your own judgements whether you consider the procedure something of benefit to yourself.

As for VISTA I do not have it and currently do not have any plans to acquire it because my XP system does all that I want of a computer and my computer is in good and efficient working order.
Housepiglet

Post by Housepiglet »

Hi there,

Thanks for this article: it was very helpful.

However... I've just followed it all the way through and I seem to have a problem. All went well, I think, until I edited the Registry. However, now when I boot up into my Normal Profile, and my normal User Name, various programmes no longer load, including my anti-virus (NOD32) and WinPatrol. There must be others too, but those are the ones that I can actually see missing in the Systray.

Having reviewed the steps, I concluded that what must have happened is that not all of the entries in AllUser were also in CurrentUser, so that when I eventually deleted them from AllUser they didn't load any more. I therefore opened the CurrentUserRun.reg file you directed me to make and took a look, and sure enough quite a lot of things (including the two prog's I've mentioned) weren't in it. I opened the original AllUserRun.reg and took a look, and they were in that one.

I therefore assumed that that way to fix it was to go to CurrentUser in the Registry in a/c with the instructions you'd posted and add in the missing lines via Edit/New String etc. I've done that, and I've just rebooted, but the programmes still haven't loaded. Now I'm a bit worried.

The only thing in the AllUserLoad.reg file that I didn't put into the CurrentUser part of the registry is an entry that looks like this in the AllUserLoad when opened as a .txt file in Notepad.

@=""

I didn't put it in because I don't know what it is, and wasn't sure whether it was meant to be part of the previous line, which is:

"MaxtorOneTouch"="C:\\Program Files\\Maxtor\\ManagerApp\\Onetouch.exe"

I'm hoping that it might be obvious to you where I've gone wrong and, if not, whether you can tell me how to restore my Registry settings to how they were before I started. I have all 3 files you instructed us to save i.e. CurrentUserRun.reg, AllUserRun.reg and NewAllUserRun.reg.

*anxious*
Housepiglet

Post by Housepiglet »

Just a little bit of further info, in case it assists.

After typing that message I started my AV and WinPatrol manually. I don't know whether you're familiar with WinPatrol, but it tells you when a programme is trying to set itself to load on startup, and offers the chance to say no.

After I posted my message WinPatrol popped up and listed various things that were now trying to start on bootup. I think they're the things I'd added back in to the CurrentUser part of the Registry. I was relieved and thought that perhaps Win had needed to reboot into its new Registry before it could apply the new settings (I'm sure it's obvious to you that I'm no Registry expert) and so I've just rebooted, hoping that the prog's would start. They didn't, though. This is inexplicable to me, but it may mean something to you.
Housepiglet

Post by Housepiglet »

Phew! Sorry for the 3 postings, but I thought I'd better write again to let you know that I seem to have sorted it out.

I'm still not sure how I ended up with a CurrentUser thing that didn't include all the entries, but I have worked out that when I tried to fix it via Edit/New String, double-clicking and pasting a path I wasn't actually pasting the full path in. I realised that after restoring the NewAllUser file (but tweaked to point to CurrentUser, as you said) once again, and found a number of slightly differently expressed duplicates. I took out the ones I'd put in and now it seems that all's okay again. Certainly my AV and WinPatrol are now loading on boot, so I think it must all be sorted out.

I may still go back (after a stiff drink) and read through the instructions again, though. I really can't see where I went wrong. I'm quite anal about this sort of thing, so I paid a lot of attention. All I can think at the moment is that I accidentally double-clicked on AllUser rather than NewAllUser first time round, thus simply over-writing the AllUser entries and not amending the CurrentUser ones.

Well, thanks again! As well as speeding up my system for video editing, you've taught me a lot about Regedit today :)
Gorf
Advisor

Re: Creating a Video Editing Profile.

Post by Gorf »

sjj1805 wrote:Press the following 3 keyboard keys together [ctrl]-[alt]-[del] to bring up the windows task manager.
Select the "Processes" tab and then press the [Print Screen] button on your keyboard.
Now open you favourite Photo Editing software (Dont have any? - OK Use 'Paint' - Start | Programs | Accessories | Paint )
Now start a new blank screen and paste. You should now have a copy of the snapshot you just made of your screen when you pressed the [Print Screen] button. Crop away everything other than the Windows Task Manager. Save this image.
Just a quick note - Instead of pressing [Print screen] (sometimes labelled [PrtSc] ) use [Alt] [Print screen] instead. It takes a snapshot of just the currently active window, instead of the whole screen. No cropping necessary...
Gorf
Advisor

Post by Gorf »

Oooh - not allowed to edit posts for some reason. Sorry about the extra post.
Phil S wrote:...Not very spectacular on saved render time = 15 secs...
I got that "15 secs" beat! Just 1 second shaved off a 2:06 process, or a 0.8% saving.

However

The RAM "preview range" was increased from 160 to 217 frames, or a 35.6% increase. So while the CPU-only time hasn't improved dramatically, the interactive response time has improved by more than a third.

What you need to remember about render processes is that they are RAM and CPU intensive. If you have plenty of RAM, and a multi-core processor (even HT) you might not see an improvement if the render engine has enough memory and enough CPU cycles that it can't get much better. In my case, it wasn't the render process that benefited from Steve's optimisation routine, but the available memory. It meant that while working, I was able to do more, because I was working from memory rather than paging to disk. When "rendering" - the bottleneck shifted from memory to CPU power, and so the benefit there was minimal.

I'd rather have a better response during interactive work than during unattended work, every time.
Aranya

Couple of issues with new hardware profile

Post by Aranya »

Thanks for this article, much appreciated, MSP8 had been crashing a lot on my current job finishing a project created originally on MSP7, even though it had been fine with projects created entirely in MSP8. This process seems to have improved the stability enough in the new hardware profile to delete some troublesome title files from an MSP7 created dvp, so I can at least now work on it with some stability - but only effectively in my normal profile as the new profile is still not quite right.

Within the new video hardware profile, I can no longer launch Windows Media Player (it says insufficient memory, even though MSP8 & my other Ulead software launch fine - & you'll see from my system spec below that this should hardly be an issue!). Also I have no audio now in that profile - could this be related? Additionally (more annoying than functional), I no longer have shortcut buttons to my open programs on the taskbar - what did I turn off to make them disappear?

I have also created a new 'video editor' user as suggested, but this doesn't affect these problems - even logged into my normal user account under the video hardware profile, these problems are still present.

Can anyone suggest what was turned off that is causing this issue (presumably something in services.msc?). By the way, I have double checked that Windows Audio is enabled under both profiles there & it is, though it doesn't seem to start up despite that.

Many thanks,

Aranya

Windows Xp Pro X64bit Sp2c / MSI 975X Platinum-PE SKT775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) / 4Gb Patriot PC2-6400 800Mhz DDR2 RAM / EVGA 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 Graphics / Seasonic S12-650 80Plus 650W PSU / Two Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drives SATAII in RAID 0 (for video files) plus Two Seagate ST3250620A 250GB 7200RPM Hard Drives (for OS & programs) / Two NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B 18x DVD¡ÓRW/DL/RAM Serial ATA burners / Antec P180
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

I am sure it is just a simple setting that has been incorrectly set.
The first time I created the Video Editing profile I also "lost" sound and had to go back through it reversing one or two changes until finding the culprit!

Start off by printing off the spreadsheet I supplied with my settings.
Go through each one again double checking that you have set them the same as I did. you will also find that your computer will have a few settings that mine does not and vice versa. this is normal because no two systems will be identical.

We will have slightly different hardware/software - such as the anti-virus program. At the time of writing the profile I was using Norton. I have since dumped that in favour of AVG and so even on my machine some things are no longer there and others have taken their place.

If you are in doubt about a particular setting then select enabled - this is an items default setting.

I have been researching the possibility of creating a Video Editing profile with windows Vista. My research so far has shown that Microsoft have removed the ability to manually create a hardware profile and so as things stand it does not look like we can do this with Vista (at the moment - still researching!)
Aranya

Thankyou

Post by Aranya »

Thankyou, I'm away now for a few days, but will go back through this when I get home & keep you informed. I already printed out the list, so have that much done!

Many thanks, Aranya
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

Hi Steve,

Sorry for this email not sent via the VideoStudio forum - I could not work out how to send a private message via the web site.

I have recently re-installed Windows XP (to correct a problem with Ashampoo Burning Suite after temporarily connecting an old HDD to copy a lot of date - maybe it was a good idea to do a fresh install anyway) and so created a video editing profile again (it's easy the second time around).

I have been doing a few tweaks since then and in between downloaded and installed an update to ZONEALARM.
I noticed that after I installed the update the entry to start it (ZoneAlarm) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE ......*** reappeared (I had moved it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER) and so after checking that it was still in the appropriate location in HKEY_CURRENT_USER (for my normal profile) I removed it.
Lo and behold another update for ZoneAlarm was available today so I downloaded it and the same thing happened.
Well it's no big deal (for me) HOWEVER maybe the post for Creating a Video Editing Profile should be modified to bring to the attention of readers that after updates to (some) software they may need to update the registry again.

Sorry if this is already covered but I did search the original article and subsequent posts and didn't notice this covered.

Regards

John Arnold (Sydney, Australia) - VS forum username - jparnold
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

Here is another link for consideration:
Run a Program in High Priority
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

Sent: 09 October 2008 01:20
To: steve.j.jones
Subject: Creating a Video Editing Profile - confused

Hi Steve,
I purchased VideoStudio 11.5 Plus a few weeks ago and have been trying to learn how to edit videos. I have a fairly good camcorder, a Sony HDR-SR11 but a 5 or 6 year old computer, a Pentium 4, with 2.53 GHZ, and 1,024 MB memory, running Windows XP Pro, serv. pack #3. After many attempts I managed to create a 10 minute DVD of a going-away party for one of my friends. VS11.5+ kept locking up during the "Create DVD" stage. Finally, however, it worked and I obtained a good DVD disc. I'd like to be able to create a longer duration DVD of one of my new products, but, am fearful that I'll encounter the same problems I did when creating the 10 minute video.

When I read your treatise "Creating a Video Editing Profile," I decided that I needed to try your method to facilitate running VS11.5+ on my slow computer with only 1 GB of memory. All went well until I reached Step 4 of "Final Step: Edit the Startup menus and the Registry." At that point I became confused and wasn't sure if I was proceeding properly.
1. I opened up Notepad by going to "Start/All Programs/Accessories/Notepad."
2. Then I pulled down "File" and clicked on "Open," selected "Desktop" and selected "AllUserRun."
3. I then saved these Registry files as "NewAllUserRun." I noticed, however, that the suffix ".reg" as not attached to the file's name. Also I was not sure whether it should have been saved as a "txt." file or "All files."
4. First I saved it as a txt. file but later saved it a second time after pulling down "All files."
5. Then I wasn't sure whether making the change in wording from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software . . to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software . . was to be done in NewAllUserRun or AllUserRun. I did it in NewAllUserRun.
6. When I saved it in NewAllUserRun, however, I noticed that it did not have the suffix ".reg" and it was a text file. Therefore, I retyped the file's title and named it "NewAllUserRun.reg."
7. Next I was unsure which file you meant when you stated "Now double click that saved file and accept the prompt to modify the registry." Did you mean double click on "NewAllUserRun.reg" or "AllUserRun.reg?" Double clicking on the first doesn't bring up a message box since it's a text file. Double clicking on the second does bring up the message asking whether or not I wish to add the items to the Registry.
8. I did not understand the next sentence "What we have now are duplicated entries in the Registry: All User Run Section - Current User Run Section.
9. Finally, if I had gotten to deciding what to keep in the AllUserRun section, how would I have known what to delete?
I have not played with the Registry before so this may be the reason why I became confused. Out of fear of not being able to operate my computer after making uncertain changes to the Registry, I simply restored everything back to last Friday's computer state. I'd like to try creating a video editing profile again if I can get a clearer understanding of the steps.
If you have the time, will you please clarify these points for me. I would have sent a reply at the tail end of your thread but noticed that it was locked.
Thanks for your assistance.
Larry Loo, M.D., retired

Larry,
I didn¡¦t realise the thread was locked..
You seem to have done it all correctly ¡V the new file should have the extension reg not txt and double clicking will ask if you want to add the entries to the registry.
Changing the wording from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software . . to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software should be done in the NewAllUserRun and this is the file you double click.

8. I did not understand the next sentence "What we have now are duplicated entries in the Registry: All User Run Section - Current User Run Section.
The registry sort of resembles Windows Explorer in appearance. If we were using windows Explorer files we could drag and drop ¡V or cut and paste so that we could move files from one location to another.
This cannot be done with the registry, instead we sort of copy and paste the entries (Thereby creating duplicate entries) and then have to delete the original ones.
One quick way to toggle between the two locations is to click Favourites on the registry menu bar ( File Edit View Favourites Help) and add the currently selected location.
To do this go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and then click Favourites and then Add to favourites. Accept the suggested name RUN
Next go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and then click Favourites and then Add to favourites and give it a name RunCU

Now when you click Favourites you can quickly jump from one to the other and back again.

Regards
Steve Jones

I have now unlocked this thread.
Larry Loo

Now perhaps less confused!

Post by Larry Loo »

Hi Steve,
Thank you for replying so promptly. I wish that you worked for Corel. I've not received a reply from any of their staff to a question that I asked of them almost two weeks ago.

The main problem I encountered was that when I saved "AllUserRun.reg" as "NewAllUserRun" into Notepad, there were only two choices for types of files: text or All Files. There was no choice such as "Win9x/NT 4 Registration Files." Even when I tried selecting "All Files" as the type of files, I don't think that they were saved as registry files. That may be the reason why a dialog box with the message (Do you wish to save this file to the Registry?) did not appear when I double clicked on NewAllUserRun.

If I understand your explanation correctly, I can manipulate the Favorites menu to copy and save AllUserRun as NewAllUserRun in a way that will keep them registry type files. I will try again to create a video editing profile and, hopefully, will succeed this next time. I am really not dense of mind, as it may seem to you. After all, I earned an engineering degree and a medical degree and practiced both occupations successfully for years. It must be that those who design and work with computers and software, like you, have different types of neuron connections than we ordinary people have.
:)
At any rate I thank you for your generous help.

Larry Loo
mitchell65
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell Inc. 04GJJT A00
processor: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core
ram: 4Gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 560Gb Sata

Post by mitchell65 »

Steve
I will fully understand if you just delete this post as it really has nothing to do with VS.
I have started to put your idea of a Videoo Editing Profile into practice. I have got as far as the Final Step. My problem is the startup folder is empty or at least it shows no entries., not even a desktop.ini file. I have done a search for this file and it comes up in three other folders but not "Startup". I am running XP Pro SP3 and I have run my registry cleanup software. If you could help I would appreciate it but as I said I will fully understand if you would prefer not to get involved in Windows problems.
John Mitchell
We all make mistakes, that's why pencils have erasers on the end!