Creating a Video Editing Profile.

Before creating a post please read these guidelines and Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderator: Ken Berry

wontonpe

Post by wontonpe »

Thanks Steve, I just did finish installing MSP 8 on my newly formatted hard drive & all is well so far. I will implement all the things you have in here when my other programs are on and tested. I have already set up two profiles (no private files) one for everyday & one for Video Editing. :)
Rickbcnu

creating a new user

Post by Rickbcnu »

Steve,
I have made it down to the final step and after creating a new user and renaming the current to Normal I have lost the orginal administrator? When I restart there is nothing in the new Normal or the Video editor. It seems I have lost the orginal page and it is the same as the video editor. How can I get back ?
Thanks
sjj1805
operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Post by sjj1805 »

If the Administrator Account does not appear in the Windows XP logon screen press the following 3 keys all at once
[CTRL] [ALT] [DEL] you will then be presented with the 'standard' NTFS style logon screen where you enter a username and password.

You can also hide or show user accounts by installing TweakUI
golem95

Post by golem95 »

This was a fantastic suggestion. Thanks for posting this Steve!

I've only noticed one quirk with my machine, and that is that I'm getting audio glitches when I do instant play OR final renders. Little "sqeaks" here and there. When I play the source clip in the source window, I don't hear it.

Strangely, when I go back into my "Normal" profile with all the bells and whistles, it renders correctly with no audio glitches.
Phil S
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R v1.6
processor: QuadCore Intel Core i7 2933 MHz
ram: 6gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1640gb

Post by Phil S »

I set up the Video Editing profile as described some time ago and it has worked very well.

However I had an occasion to use Quicktime in this profile and it will not work. I have reinstalled it but it made no difference.

Any ideas what is missing from the Video Editing profile that might cause Quicktime not to work?
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

I have looked through the spreadsheet I supplied
http://www.steve-jones.pwp.blueyonder.c ... rofile.xls
but do not see an entry that appears to relate to quicktime.

Have you checked that it works in 'Normal Mode.'
If it does then you may need to double check your settings with those in my spreadsheet.
Phil S
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R v1.6
processor: QuadCore Intel Core i7 2933 MHz
ram: 6gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1640gb

Post by Phil S »

Yes, it works OK in Mormal mode, I'll have to check each item in detail again.
andywaddell

Minor wording change for clarification

Post by andywaddell »

Steve, great job! I set up my machine with these instructions yesterday. Will be working on some video today so will see how much faster she runs. Anyway, I have one minor wording change that may make it a little clearer for those not familiar with (and somewhat scared of) editing the registry.

The item is right before the end of the post, just before Step 5 where you discuss making changes in XP Pro systems. The line is "Navigate to the All User run Section and simply delete entries that are not required which will be most if not all entries."

I would suggest replacing the words "All User run Section" with "LOCAL_MACHINE" section. That's where the user needs to go on their screen, so using the same terms as what they see on the screen is better/easier. Obviously I was able to figure it out that LOCAL_MACHINE had to be what you wanted, but just flat out saying that would make it entirely unambiguous.

Again, great job! Thanks!
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

I have added a bit underneath the part I think you are referring to, could you check to see if it now reads as requested. Thank you.
andywaddell

Minor wording change for clarification

Post by andywaddell »

Nope, I don't see any change to the area I was talking about. Below is a cut 'n' paste from the section and I've highlighted the areas I believe would be better referenced as "LOCAL_MACHINE" in red.
+++
Navigate to the All User run Section and simply delete entries that are not required which will be most if not all entries.
There is only one entry in my All User run Section, a piece of software specific to my motherboard to monitor the motherboard temperature and cooling fans.

Anything that you decide to keep in the All User Run Section can now be deleted from the Current User run Section.

Step 5. If you have Xp Pro alter the security setting of the [all user run section] to read only.

This is one of the simplest changes you will make to your computer that will also prevent many virus attacks. If you intend to install new software you must however remember to temporarily revert this setting back to read/write.

Navigate to the All User run Section. Then Edit | Permissions
+++
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

Thanks, I will change it later today.
sjj1805

Post by sjj1805 »

I have inserted the following at an appropriate point of the article

This kept it tidy rather than changing every reference.
andywaddell

Re: minor wording change for clarification

Post by andywaddell »

Yep, looks like a good way to handle it if a global "find and replace" isn't feasible. Should help others out quite a bit. Thanks!

ADW
jahmarvin

will this work with vista ?

Post by jahmarvin »

hello...I am a very novice user..and I have windows vista pre installed on this laptop I just bought....

can you please post the procedure to elminate the processes using windows vista ???

thanks in advance
andywaddell

Re: minor wording change for clarification

Post by andywaddell »

Jahmarvin,

For what it's worth, now that I've had both the normal and "special" configuration Steve helps construct here, I've noticed no difference at all in VS8's performance. Render times are identical between the two configurations, with the "video editing" configuration actually being less useful overall because everything else about the computer is compromised with the special setup in place (can't print, can't use many other programs, etc.). In my personal experience, I'd say just run Windows as usual but shut down whatever unnecessary things you may have running in the background like Palm Pilot synchronizers, backup schedulers, etc., and run VS under a normal Windows configuration. I haven't noticed a difference that'd warrant the effort I put into setting up a special configuration.

That said, no harm meant in your direction, Steve! You're a GREAT resource to this forum, and I very much appreciate your efforts to help all of us. It's just that in this one particular case the advice didn't benefit my particular situation. (Many of your other posts most certainly have, though!).