Moderator: Kathy_9

Corelius
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro X9

Reactivate/edit a promoted selection?

Post by Corelius »

Suppose I've made a freehand selection and promoted it to a layer and applied one or more effects, then saved the project as a pspimage and exited. Now I open the file again and decide I want to modify that selection area. If I didn't separately save the selection to disk, is there any way to reactivate that selection (so I can adjust its outline) by somehow using the promoted layer?
LeviFiction
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: Reactivate/edit a promoted selection?

Post by LeviFiction »

Save as a PSPImage file, so long as the selection is active at the time of saving it should be maintained. You can also save the selection to the alpha channel of the image and as long as the format supports alpha channels the selection should be retrievable. Warning in the alpha channel though, unless it is a PSD or PSPImage file this could actually result in breaking the image inside PSP making the non selected areas transparent and in retrievable. But only inside PSP and similar editors that don't handle the alpha channel properly.

If you promote the selection to a new layer you can do the very quick "select all, float the selection, defloat" and the selection will attach to the opaque areas of the layer. Or you can use the magic wand tool set to all opaque and click on an opaque area of the layer to select all non-transparent areas. But this again requires you to save the image in a format that supports layers like PSD and PSPImage. So just saving to those formats and saving the selection to the alpha channel would be sufficient in most cases.
Corelius
operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro X9

Re: Reactivate/edit a promoted selection?

Post by Corelius »

Thanks!

The float/defloat was just what I needed. My help-search before I posted had led me to wonder about the float feature (which I'd never used), but I saw that it was greyed out on the menu. (I didn't realize I should Select All first.)