sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: 16 bit gray TIFFs opened as RAWs

Post by LeviFiction »

fs999 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Did you try with scanned file ?
No, I don't own a scanner. Your only instructions were to save a file from PSP with uncompressed selected as the compression method. I took this to mean that this error occurs with all uncompressed TIFF files even those produced by PSP. So I took images from several devices, including several RAW files, opened them in PSP, saved as an uncompressed TIFF file 16-bit and when i reopened them there was zero difference.

Using the example file provided by @Raymura so that I am working with a scan. Opening in PSP I see the issue described. Using that scanned image I tried multiple methods.

1) I opened the original in psp2021, Camera Raw opened - setting highlight recovery to balanced, full shadows, and reduced brightness. Saved as Tiff uncompressed, the file loaded exactly as saved without camera raw.
2) I opened a copy of the original in Photo Viewer, rotated, rotated back, saved. PSP opened in camera raw
3) I opened in Windows 10 Photos, saved a copy - PSP opeend in Camera RAW
4) I opened in PSP8 - Saved as uncompressed TIFF - PSP 2021 opened exactly as saved without camera raw.
5) RAWTherapee - opened and saved as uncompressed 16-bit TIFF - opened properly in PSP 2021 without camera raw.

So those saved in editors as uncompressed opened just fine.
Ruymura
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Post by Ruymura »

fs999
System_Drive: Z
motherboard: Intel
processor: i7 860
ram: 32GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 730
sound_card: Samsung HDMI
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 28 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Philips 24P4 & Samsung UE46M6050
Corel programs: PaintShop 2020 Ultimate

Post by fs999 »

LeviFiction wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 pm
So those saved in editors as uncompressed opened just fine.
But how do you explain when rotating the uncompressed file with windows explorer, it opens correctly in PSP2020 but when saved with PSP2020 as uncompressed, when reopening it is not correct ?

I opened Img005.tif in PSP2020 (rotated in Windows Explorer, so it could get opened correctly). Size = 63 665 KB
Saved with LZW compression as Img005lzw.tif. Size = 55 462 KB
Reopened Img005.tif
Saved uncompressed as Img005nc.tif. Size = 46 678 KB
Reopened Img005.tif
Saved with Packed Bits compression as Img005pac.tif . Size = 55 462 KB
All with sRGB ICC color space embedded and RVB scheme.

when you look at them in Windows :
WinView.png
When you look at them in the Manage Tab :
PSPView.png
Only for information, I converted the image with XNView and Zip compression, the size is only 19 278 KB, but cannot be opened with PSP !
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Post by LeviFiction »

I don't explain that, that is Corel's job. I am only reporting my results of testing. As I said, for me if I save an uncompressed tiff file from PSP it opens just fine in PSP. I do not experience the issue you mention specifically from the PSP saved tiff file. The original file I see the issue. I could not duplicate rotating the image making it lzw compressed.
josephlin
Corel
operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Intel 6 series_C200
processor: Inte i5-2500k
ram: 4GB
Video Card: nVidia GTX 550i
sound_card: Singmatel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB

Post by josephlin »

Ruymura wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 pm
josephlin wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 am
Ruymura wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm
I'm trying to open a 16 bit gray TIFF created with VueScan in PaintShop Pro 2021, but Camera RAW lab window appears for some reason. Why?
I expect it to open the file as normal, without making any adjustments, just like it's done with other types of images.
Hi Ruymura,

Thanks Ken bringing this problem for getting my attention. Your understanding is correct and the TIFF file should be able to open without CRL (Camera Raw Lab) in PSP. The situation you encountered on the TIFF file created by VueScan is a little strange. Since we don't have any TIFF file created by VueScan for troubleshooting so it's not easy for us to take a look soon. If you don't mind, could you share a few TIFF files for testing purposes? If you need a shared space, let me know and I can create it for you.
Here is the TIFF file from VueScan that causes Camera Raw Lab to appear:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajo0ngTOyr7KnsRpdz- ... w?e=cI3qMu
If CRL is disabled in PSP settings, the file is opened immediately, but looks washed-out (as if too much brightness or gamma was applied).
Thank you, Ruymura. I've downloaded the TIFF file you shared and will bring it to review with our Dev team and see if any specific root cause we can get. Thank you again.

Cheers
Joseph Lin
Product Manager, Corel PaintShop Pro / AfterShot Pro