Moderator: Kathy_9

ohmyjlord
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Texture and Expand tool...

Post by ohmyjlord »

Hey everyone ! :)

So I recently made the jump from Paintshop Pro X8 to Paintshop Pro 2021 Ultimate. I've been using it for the past few days, but still setting the environment to my liking. However, there's already two things I noticed that I'm not sure how to solve. So if anyone can point me to a solution, it would be much appreciated. :)

a) I've tried to apply textures for the first time today, and realized my version only came with 10 different textures. Didn't we use to have a lot more than that, by default, in the previous versions ? Did I miss something I needed to download while installing ? Do I have to load them from somewhere ?

b) This one has been driving me nuts for the past few hours, as it's something I do a lot when working on layouts ! Say I selected a rectangle with the selection tool, and then wanted to expand that selection (Selection -> Modify > Expand) by 20 or so pixel...why does my rectangle suddenly has rounded corners instead of perfect 90 degrees ? Same thing with triangle shape...all three corners are now rounded. I've looked at the tool option bar, I don't see anything related to 'join' or things like that. :/

Thanks to anyone who can provide some help !
...have a great day, and an even better year ! :)
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: Texture and Expand tool...

Post by LeviFiction »

A) Originally there was an additional download called the Creative Pack that included additional textures. Go to the Home Tab under the Get More section and check "My Library" or somewhere in the list should be a free download for it.

B) That's been the way it works for ever. It's not just scaling the selection it's actually performing an adjustment of some kind. Not sure what kind, but some kind. It works best with more natural selections that follow actual contours. There is a topic somewhere around here about it and a solution I think by JoeB but I could be remembering that wrong. He made a script or had a process for it.

But the easiest way I can think of personally is not the "expand" the selection but to scale it using the Edit Selection mode and the Pick tool. There are caveats to doing it that way as well but it should no longer expand the selection like a balloon.
JoeB
operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Post by JoeB »

If you are making a selection with the Rectangular selection tool tool the corners can be made square after the expansion, but this cannot be done with a polygon or triangle type selection. With the Rectangular selection tool you'll see, on the Toolbar options, an option to Create Selection From.... Once you have expanded your selection you can click on the option to Create Selection From... Current Selection and it will square the corners for you. That option does not exist for other selection methods such as using the Point to Point to create a triangle, for instance.
Attachments
Create sleection from.gif
Create sleection from.gif (10.04 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
ohmyjlord

Post by ohmyjlord »

LeviFiction wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:34 am
A) Originally there was an additional download called the Creative Pack that included additional textures. Go to the Home Tab under the Get More section and check "My Library" or somewhere in the list should be a free download for it.

B) That's been the way it works for ever. It's not just scaling the selection it's actually performing an adjustment of some kind. Not sure what kind, but some kind. It works best with more natural selections that follow actual contours. There is a topic somewhere around here about it and a solution I think by JoeB but I could be remembering that wrong. He made a script or had a process for it.

But the easiest way I can think of personally is not the "expand" the selection but to scale it using the Edit Selection mode and the Pick tool. There are caveats to doing it that way as well but it should no longer expand the selection like a balloon.
a) Yeah, I looked at the 'Home Tab' for a 'Get More' section (as suggested by some Youtube videos I've watched before I join the forum) but looks like that section disappeared on PSP 2021. All I have is 'Store' and two 'Bundles' sections, where nothing seems to be 'included' in the purchase price (and quite pricey I might add). Gotta say, I'm a bit disapointed to see that PSP 2021 Ultimate edition seems...well, less 'Ultimate' than the previous version I owned. :/

b) Well I'll be damned...how have I never noticed that before ? Just tested it out on my second CPU (that still runs X8) and it appears to be acting that way too. Probably never noticed, as I usually use that method to expand 1 or 2 pixels to create borders...still, that's annoying. :/
JoeB wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:08 pm
If you are making a selection with the Rectangular selection tool tool the corners can be made square after the expansion, but this cannot be done with a polygon or triangle type selection. With the Rectangular selection tool you'll see, on the Toolbar options, an option to Create Selection From.... Once you have expanded your selection you can click on the option to Create Selection From... Current Selection and it will square the corners for you. That option does not exist for other selection methods such as using the Point to Point to create a triangle, for instance.
Awesome ! Tested it out, worked like a charm ! :)
...too bad it only works for square/rectangle shapes. But I will make good use of that trick, thanks ! :)
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Post by LeviFiction »

It's almost always been an additional download or installer. That's nothing new.

Store is what you want. Get More and Do More became "Store" I never pay attention to the wording used any more as they keep changing it.

Then when you're in the store click on the "Creative Content" category under the "filter" options. It'll show all of the creative content add-ons. Somewhere in there you'll find the Creative Content Pack. This includes maskes, textures, etc. It'll say "Free" so there is no purchase, it is included as part of owning a copy of PSP.
ohmyjlord

Post by ohmyjlord »

LeviFiction wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:27 pm
It's almost always been an additional download or installer. That's nothing new.

Store is what you want. Get More and Do More became "Store" I never pay attention to the wording used any more as they keep changing it.

Then when you're in the store click on the "Creative Content" category under the "filter" options. It'll show all of the creative content add-ons. Somewhere in there you'll find the Creative Content Pack. This includes maskes, textures, etc. It'll say "Free" so there is no purchase, it is included as part of owning a copy of PSP.
There you go ! Couldn't find those without the filter. Thank you so much ! :)