Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: Kathy_9

migf1
operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: 32 Bit Plugins & Windows 10

Post by migf1 »

That really beats me Joe. Theoretically, if no ".8bf" file is present, there shouldn't be any entry shown inside PSP's Plugins menu.

PS. ".8bf" is just one of a few filename extensions recognized by PSP's plugin interface. The other ones are: ".8be" for export module, ".8bi" for format module, and ".8ba"for import module. By far the most common ones are ".8bf" files of course (filter modules). I have no idea how and why yours work without an ".8bf" file present in any of your defined PSP plugin folders.
Good Unofficial PaintShop Pro Tutorials: Creation CasselMake Shop ProHEC Image EditingLeviFiction PSP Basics
(plus my own Gimp & Stuff)
LeviFiction
Advisor
operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4
processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Post by LeviFiction »

There is this interesting little checkbox that says "limit loaded plug-in files to those with an .8b? extension only. This suggests that some plugins (they are just regular DLLs with a different extension) might not have the standard Photoshop plugin extension. At the same time I cannot replicate what you see JoeB. I downloaded the same folder you did, put it into my own custom plugins folder and it does not show the G'Mic plugin.
JoeB
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2019, 32 & 64-bit

Post by JoeB »

LeviFiction wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:05 pm
There is this interesting little checkbox that says "limit loaded plug-in files to those with an .8b? extension only. This suggests that some plugins (they are just regular DLLs with a different extension) might not have the standard Photoshop plugin extension. At the same time I cannot replicate what you see JoeB. I downloaded the same folder you did, put it into my own custom plugins folder and it does not show the G'Mic plugin.
If it helps, I have a folder on my E drive called My PSP Plugins. In that folder I created a folder named gmic. I have attached 2 images. One shows all of the files and one subfolder in that gmic folder. The other shows the files in the platforms subfolder that is in the gmic folder.
Attachments
Files and a subfolder within my My PSP Plugins/gmic folder.
Files and a subfolder within my My PSP Plugins/gmic folder.
Files in gmic/platforms folder.
Files in gmic/platforms folder.
Files in platforms subfolder.gif (7.83 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
JoeB

Post by JoeB »

Two more things. First, I have attached a screenshot of the Gmic filter interface I get, just in case it's not what others see. I changed the background from white (which it originally defaulted to) to black. I believe that I also changed the arrangement of the Gmic effects from the right to the left of the screen. And I don't know if this is any different from the actual plugin, but when I apply the effect and press OK the effect is applied to the image and not as a new layer, so before calling the plugin I have to duplicate the existing image layer so as not to change the original.

Also, I'm attaching an image of my Effects menu. I just noticed that not only does Gmic appear in my Plugins submenu of Effects, it also appears as a separate Gmic effect itself a little further down the menu. Using either option opens the same Gmic interface.
Attachments
GMIC interface.gif
Effects menu.gif
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

When I download gmic_2.9.4_gimp2.10_win64.zip the EXE is named "gmic_gimp_qt.exe" you mentioned that your exe was "gmic_8bf_qt.exe" and I see that in your screenshot of the files list. I also have gmic_8bf_qt.exe but I got it from the plugin download. Likewise the stand-alone G'Mic is named "gmic_qt.exe" so the fact that you're using the 8bf suggests you're not using the gimp version.

Here is my Plugin folder contents: C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Corel PaintShopPro\Plugins
Contents:
DxO - Folder
gmic - Folder
GmicPlugin.8bf <- the folder and plugin came inside the zip in this format. The plugin is outside of the gmic folder.

Then inside the gmic folder I have the "gmic_8bf_qt.exe" executable and all of the other files you showed. So your setup is identical to mine short of the "GmicPlugin.8bf" file outside of the gmic folder.
JoeB

Post by JoeB »

So am I correct in assuming that the gmic_8bf_qt_.exe file I have, while having a executable (i.e., .exe) extension, contains the plugin?
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
LeviFiction
Advisor

Post by LeviFiction »

I doubt it, the plugin is external to the EXE in every version I know of. The name of the exe just shows that the EXE inside the gmic folder comes from the photoshop plugin version of gmic. The Gmic plugin should be outside of the gmic folder. If I remove the gmicplugin.8bf file or at least rename it then PSP can't find the gmic plugin at all.
migf1

Post by migf1 »

My experience is exactly the same with Levi's (meaning I had tested the version suggested by JoeB too, without success). I have no idea why & how it works for JoeB, without the .8bf file present.
Good Unofficial PaintShop Pro Tutorials: Creation CasselMake Shop ProHEC Image EditingLeviFiction PSP Basics
JoeB

Post by JoeB »

I must apologize for having caused the confusion because I have found the plugin, although I'm not sure how it got there. I had downloaded several different links of the plugin and guess I copied more than one version into my plugins folder, one of which actually had the plugin. So, in My PSP plugins I do have the files within the gmic folder that I previously listed. However, the plugin itself is also in the My PSP Plugins folder by itself (i.e., not within any sub folder). I have wasted my time looking for it within the gmic folder and never thought to look in the root until you pointed out that the plugin had to be outside of the gmic folder.

Apologies again for not having searched much more carefully! :oops: :oops:
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2019 64bit
migf1

Post by migf1 »

No worries Joe!

Bottom line, we can enjoy G'MIC from within PSP, and according to FlutteringBy its 32bit variant works too :)