processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU - 2_40GH
ram: 6 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
sound_card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Corel programs: PSP: 8, 9, X, XI, X2, X8,X9, 2018, 2019

Re: Cannot Save or Save As except in PSP format

Post by LeviFiction »

If you've registered your program with Corel and you have a Corel account you should be able to login to the Corel website and see all registered products.

If you got an email when you bought the program, it's probably also in there. If you got a confirmation email from the website contact form they sometimes include a quote of the support ticket details.
RMS1
operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 4GB
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro

Post by RMS1 »

Yes, I've been looking for details of my Corel account from 2016 (I don't think it is the same login as for this forum).
I have a confirmation email for today's website query but no quote of what I put into the ticket.
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

Problem solved (I think)!
I have found the serial number and reinstalled PSP x8. Uninstalling and reinstalling the program has fixed the problem with saving graphic files. I have been able to re-save a graphic file in a format (JPG) other than PSPimage. Hoping this fix is permanent.
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

I have had enough of PSP constantly failing to save files in any format other than PSPImage. I've tried all suggestions, I've also uninstalled and reinstalled. It worked briefly, once, after reinstalling, then failed consistently. What can I do? Spend money on installing the most recent version, and hope it will work?
In the meantime, I have made a small file in PSPImage format, which is a rough approximation of how I'd like an illustrator I'm working with (as writer) to style the title lettering. I can't upload it here because the PSPImage format is being rejected as an attachment. I'd like someone using PSP to save it as a JPG file and upload it back. If someone is willing to send me an email address, I will send the PSP file to them.
Thanks,
Roger
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4

Post by LeviFiction »

You can upload Zip files to these forums. Just zip the image and then upload it to the forums. Or use a file storage host like dropbox, one drive, google drive, etc. Then just provide a link in a post.

You can also try GIMP, it can open PSPImage files and then you can re-save them on your own to JPG format. And GIMP is free so no additional cost involved.

Also, I wouldn't buy 2021 just to see if it'll let you save files. You can download the trial and use that for a while to test it out. If it starts failing to save you won't want to have wasted your money or deal with getting a refund.

Can you provide some more details on this problem? Where are you trying to save the files to? You mentioned having a portable drive, can you save images to the drive? or does it fail regardless of where you attempt to do the saving? What Anti-Virus do you use?

What settings have you tried when saving as JPG? Have you tried turning off saving EXIF info? Or changing the compression type? Have you tried using the Export -> JPG optimizer?

The fact that you can get it to work for a short while and then it stops suggests corruption or something interfering with the other encoders. I doubt it's a permissions issues otherwise even saving to PSPImage wouldn't be possible. Do you run PSP as administrator? I don't recommend it, it's not how PSP is meant to be run but just wanted to ask in case you were. Also do you run X8 with any compatibility settings?
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

Thanks. I do have GIMP but it's not installed - I took it off when I bought PSP. I'll install it.
PSP has stopped saving files in ANY format other than PSPImage. Not just JPG, TIFF, BMP etc as well. I don't know why. It's been fine since installing it in 2018. I'm saving to the usual folders on my hard drive. I could try a portable drive.
Am saving to JPG in default settings - tried with and without EXIF info.
Just ried the Export JPG optimiser - every tome i tried to save it says the file name is invalid. I tried other names but same result.
Antivirus is Avast - been using it for many years.
No, PSP isn't run as Administrator.

At the moment GIMP seems the best bet.
Thanks!
LeviFiction
Advisor
motherboard: Alienware M17xR4

Post by LeviFiction »

Filename is invalid is slightly different message than the last error you reported.

Can you share the full path and name you tried to save? There are only a handful of forbidden characters and naming conventions. Also don't know why that would stop you from using a format with a shorter extension than pspimage.
RMS1

Post by RMS1 »

Yes, that is the error message I receive when using the Exporter a few minutes ago. It is different from the other error message I reported, when saving a file. At first i tried to save as the default "Image1", then as "TitleFont02", but both were rejected. The program is not saving files in other formats, probably due to a corruption. There is no other problem with the application

I've just downloaded the latest version of GIMP. Will install it, and see if i can save PSP format files as JPGs. It is only a minor inconvenience to use this workaround - I'm happy to work in PSP format then convert to JPG etc later.